Pattaya City to hold second public hearing on monorail project

snoop1130

1 minute ago, johng said:

Pattaya already has an efficient public transport system,Baht busses,motorcycle taxis and meter taxis who wont use the meter..the "city authorities" would be better off directing time and energy to getting the meters working.

I don't see them as efficient when the roads are choked up most of the time. Baht buses, archaic, taxis, inefficient and mafia controlled. M/C taxis, many refuse to use them but for me they get you short distances quickly if a bit risky. Pattaya needs something to take the cars off the streets. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johng said:

Pattaya already has an efficient public transport system,Baht busses,motorcycle taxis and meter taxis who wont use the meter..the "city authorities" would be better off directing time and energy to getting the meters working.

That would give the impression there's a will to do that.

Spending a few billion Baht would surely solve the problem via 'natural selection' of transport.

Assuming people can manage to walk a hundred metres or so from the station to their house.

58 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't see them as efficient when the roads are choked up most of the time. Baht buses, archaic, taxis, inefficient and mafia controlled. M/C taxis, many refuse to use them but for me they get you short distances quickly if a bit risky. Pattaya needs something to take the cars off the streets. 

Wishful thinking. The very clean, efficient and expanding MRT, BRT and BTS systems in Bangkok have done nothing to reduce filthy buses and taxis on the clogged roads. Where there's a baht, there's a way. But at least these systems allow those who can afford it or willing to walk to the stations a means of leapfrogging the chaos.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

Only the police can fix those meters & they're not going to cut off their nose to spite their face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Again comment section to this type of article will be inundated by Fossil industry workers, investors, pensioners, taxi drivers, deisel lorry drivers. "Never gonna work, can't be built, too expensive, tailpipe to powerplant. Hasn't been invented, wouldn't work if it was invented" bla bla.. bla bla

• Confused 1

When (if and when ??), the new high speed train is in operation and there is a station at Pattaya redeveloped, then there will need to be a better solution to bringing people to the centre of Pattaya than just baht buses.

Any plan for a Pattaya monorail has to take this into account

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There needs to be a complete rethink - the world changes and in this respect there are 3 specific areas that need to be addressed:

- A new station for the high speed rail may mean 200-300 people disembarking at any one time. More frequency and ease of not having to use cars should also mean that the expected number of people coming from Bangkok etc. will increase dramatically.

- The bus station at Pattaya Nua is now getting too overcrowded and access in and out (the buses coming in going via a small soi), means that this has to be redeveloped.

- The return of tourism after the COVID has died down will mean the return of tour buses clogging up beach road and second road - incompatible with having a tram system running down the middle of these roads.

So there needs to comprehensive rethink - an interchange or terminal which could comprise the train station, bus station and coach parking linked to a monorail or other system to get people into the centre.

What will be interesting to see from the meeting today is the intended route, last I saw this would also cut straight down walking street, so a lot of redevelopment in that area and disturbance, and possible the return of calls to demolish the sea side of the street.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Pattaya has the best and cheapest public transportation system I have ever encountered, a few seconds wait and off you go for a minimal price. As ehs818 stated, the only significant problem was caused by the excessive number of tour buses. Without them no improvement is necessary, and the only way that people would use a monorail would be if all Baht buses were removed from the system, a grave mistake in my opinion ????

It's great if you are on the baht bus line--not great if you are in one of the many locations not served, like the Pratamnak sois--or Cosy Beach, Wong Amat, etc.  If they do the monorail, the baht bus routes need to be re-worked to cover areas not covered now (should be done anyway) and they would serve to transport passengers to the monorail line, as well as to other areas the monorail does not serve.  

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 12:24 PM, jacko45k said:

Pattaya needs something to take the cars off the streets. 

Won't make any difference. Bkk's roads are as congested now as before the Skytrain. Thais like to drive in their own car, not sit in public transport if they can afford to.

I don't know what sort of monorail they are intending to build or where, but I can guarantee they will make everyone miserable for years while building it, and it'll probably be many times as expensive as needed, for the usual reason.

In an ideal world they'd build the skytrain from Bkk to the port serving Kho Chang. Plenty of people along that route to make it viable.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can guarantee they will make everyone miserable for years while building it,

They will surely not start until the misery from the drainage project is completed. 

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They will surely not start until the misery from the drainage project is completed. 

Surely the misery itself is ongoing project?

Whenever new drainage pipework has been laid in previous years, the misery hasn't usually disappeared for an entire year.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Won't make any difference. Bkk's roads are as congested now as before the Skytrain. Thais like to drive in their own car, not sit in public transport if they can afford to.

I don't know what sort of monorail they are intending to build or where, but I can guarantee they will make everyone miserable for years while building it, and it'll probably be many times as expensive as needed, for the usual reason.

In an ideal world they'd build the skytrain from Bkk to the port serving Kho Chang. Plenty of people along that route to make it viable.

Maybe Bangkok is a victim of the Braess' paradox - the observation that adding one or more roads to a road network can slow down overall traffic flow through it.

On 5/21/2020 at 7:19 PM, johng said:

Meter taxis in Pattay may not be proftable. I think. Mono rail is a great idea. One thing they must do is not allow tour buses enter the city. Let them park some where on Sukimvit road and enter the city using baht taxis. Also, they need to do something about the polluttion caused by those baht taxis. May be some kind of transit elevated bus. They should consult chinese and ask China to fund it with a loan. CHina has the technology. They would be happy to sell it. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Sad 1

From what I've read:

Pattaya deputy mayor Manote Nongyai said yesterday while Pattaya has a wealth of potential for economic development, it has been plagued with traffic problems caused by rapid urban growth
For the future development of Pattaya, it is necessary to reduce the use of private cars  ...

Just replace "rapid urban growth" and "private cars" with "Zero Baht Tour Buses" and the actual problem is correctly described. 

The tour-buses wreck Pattaya traffic on 2nd road, near many intersections, all the way down to Jomtien - as well as other areas/intersections.  Ban those, and ONLY then, this might do some good. 

On 5/23/2020 at 7:33 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Bellow, map shown last year for the TRAM project.

Do they still really want a MONORAIL project ?

62456193_2461945430517030_60870922562363

Monorail is more complex and likely more money will find it's way into the pockets of the usual suspects than a mere tram, but doing both......................................................

The usual suspects will be hurting as the normal sources of cash are not open at the moment.

On 5/23/2020 at 1:05 PM, jacko45k said:

Likely are, but would be much much worse if not for the Skytrain, BTS etc. Moving the airport helped a good bit, I used to go a day early for my flights out in the distant past! But to say it will not make a difference is hardly reality. 

My first trip to Don Mueang was a nightmare, but once the overhead expressway was completed it was a breeze.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, tropo said:

Maybe Bangkok is a victim of the Braess' paradox - the observation that adding one or more roads to a road network can slow down overall traffic flow through it.

So many new cars are sold that any increase in road space can not keep up. Traffic always increases to fill the space available.

The only real solution is to reduce road traffic by some means ( car tax, road tax, congestion charge, Singapore solution etc ) and provide a proper public transport. Building new roads in cities is never a good idea as it just encourages more cars.

London can't build new roads without major destruction and without the tube would become impossible to live in. I had to go to work during a tube strike. What a nightmare!

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Tram makes sense. Follows the Baht bus route, can jump on and off at will....

Trams are not like that anymore. They all allow boarding exit only at stops.

Pattaya traffic easily solved. Ban tour buses off Sukhumvit and ban all private cars. Pattaya has enough baht buses to cope.

Only car owners will disagree.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Trams are not like that anymore. They all allow boarding exit only at stops.

Pattaya traffic easily solved. Ban tour buses off Sukhumvit and ban all private cars. Pattaya has enough baht buses to cope.

Only car owners will disagree.

In a way that makes sense on Beach Road. Not much reason for private cars really. 

• Like 1