Pattaya City to hold second public hearing on monorail project

snoop1130

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Trams are not like that anymore. They all allow boarding exit only at stops.

Pattaya traffic easily solved. Ban tour buses off Sukhumvit and ban all private cars. Pattaya has enough baht buses to cope.

Only car owners will disagree.

Yes, I disagree with the car ban.  Pattaya might have enough baht buses but they serve too little of the city on regular routes.  Plus, they are open to the elements and it's difficult to carry much.  Tourists here for a short period might be able to get along ok with just the baht buses but many regular full-time residents need a car--which is why they buy them in the first place.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

For a seaside city promoting itself as a world class family holiday resort, to have no proper metered taxis just shows the only thing world class about Pattaya is corruption. 

And there, in the spirit of detente - I would have to absolutely agree with you.

The fact that you can have metered taxis in Bangkok, but in Pattaya they have "metered" signs on the roof but no meter in the taxi, shows a disgraceful lack of concern, or worse, on the part of the Pattaya mayor and his predecessors.

We all know the power of the taxi lobby here, but if the Mayor cannot handle this then he should be replaced.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:27 AM, newnative said:

Yes, I disagree with the car ban.  Pattaya might have enough baht buses but they serve too little of the city on regular routes.  Plus, they are open to the elements and it's difficult to carry much.  Tourists here for a short period might be able to get along ok with just the baht buses but many regular full-time residents need a car--which is why they buy them in the first place.

I have to agree and disagree.

The baht buses are not enough for the outskirts of the city, especially for the dark side, and so I would disagree with any car ban there.

But during the lockdown they did show that it is possible to cordon off the immediate centre of the city (from Sukhumvit to the beach and from Pattaya Nua to Pattaya Tai).

This is the main tourist area and if they want to make Pattaya a "world-class tourist destination", then banning private vehicles from this area would be a good start. This should be done in conjunction with the opening of the monorail (if ever).

This would make the central area, including the beach area, much more pleasant.

There may have to be some limited exceptions for deliveries (at certain specified times), and emergencies.

The problem is I don't see the people in City Hall (within the area) or government agencies such as ToT (on third road) agreeing to this, as they would put their own interests above that of the city.

10 hours ago, crobe said:

And there, in the spirit of detente - I would have to absolutely agree with you.

The fact that you can have metered taxis in Bangkok, but in Pattaya they have "metered" signs on the roof but no meter in the taxi, shows a disgraceful lack of concern, or worse, on the part of the Pattaya mayor and his predecessors.

We all know the power of the taxi lobby here, but if the Mayor cannot handle this then he should be replaced.

I never saw the need for "detente."  You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.  We can agree to disagree, or in this case, simple agree.  No problem at all.   

The baht bus system is great, but it's not for everyone.  Public transport is an essential service.  To have metered taxis controlled by a mafia is a disgrace.

Only 150 kms away in Bangkok are hundreds of metered taxis, but not here in Pattaya. 

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Only 150 kms away in Bangkok are hundreds of metered taxis, but not here in Pattaya.

Who choose whether they will or will not use the meter, whether they will or will not take your fare and whether or not they will stop for you. They have a bad reputation there. 

20 hours ago, crobe said:

I have to agree and disagree.

The baht buses are not enough for the outskirts of the city, especially for the dark side, and so I would disagree with any car ban there.

But during the lockdown they did show that it is possible to cordon off the immediate centre of the city (from Sukhumvit to the beach and from Pattaya Nua to Pattaya Tai).

This is the main tourist area and if they want to make Pattaya a "world-class tourist destination", then banning private vehicles from this area would be a good start. This should be done in conjunction with the opening of the monorail (if ever).

This would make the central area, including the beach area, much more pleasant.

There may have to be some limited exceptions for deliveries (at certain specified times), and emergencies.

The problem is I don't see the people in City Hall (within the area) or government agencies such as ToT (on third road) agreeing to this, as they would put their own interests above that of the city.

I have to disagree again--at least for resident private cars.  There are lots of residents who live in the cordoned off area that you mentioned. These residents, including me, need a car just as much as anyone on the outskirts of the city or the dark side for their everyday lives.  The monorail and the baht buses might allow me to use my private car a little less often for the small areas of the city that they will serve but they will be no help when I want to go anywhere they do not serve--which would be a lot--including taking trips outside of Pattaya.  Then, I will be at the expensive mercy of hiring one of the no-meter taxis--which are now being reviled on this thread--every time I need to go somewhere not served.  

21 hours ago, Henryford said:

A far better (and cheaper) solution to road chaos is to get rid of the tour buses that clog Pattaya's roads.

they DID stop some tour buses from using roads months ago.....BLUE ones !!! has it made much difference....NOT really .....!!

On 5/30/2020 at 11:35 PM, jacko45k said:

Who choose whether they will or will not use the meter, whether they will or will not take your fare and whether or not they will stop for you. They have a bad reputation there. 

At least you can get out and there will be another one to wave over in 30 seconds and try your luck again.  No such chance for that here.

On 5/29/2020 at 1:27 PM, newnative said:

If anyone is driving a car in Pattaya city proper they are part of the problem. Get a m'bike like the Thais do.

I used one for years and never had a problem getting around. Sure beat sitting in endless traffic jams.

On 5/30/2020 at 3:40 PM, crobe said:

This is the main tourist area and if they want to make Pattaya a "world-class tourist destination", then banning private vehicles from this area would be a good start.

Agree 100%. I'm not saying cars should be banned outside that area, but private cars make that area terrible for traffic. If one doesn't want to us baht buses, get a m'bike.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If anyone is driving a car in Pattaya city proper they are part of the problem. Get a m'bike like the Thais do.

I used one for years and never had a problem getting around. Sure beat sitting in endless traffic jams.

The Thais on motorbikes are on them because they can't afford a car.  As soon as they can, they buy one.  Motorbikes are totally impractical for carrying anything--which I usually am.  Not to mention very unsafe and open to the elements.  No thanks.  

22 hours ago, newnative said:

The Thais on motorbikes are on them because they can't afford a car.  As soon as they can, they buy one.  Motorbikes are totally impractical for carrying anything--which I usually am.  Not to mention very unsafe and open to the elements.  No thanks.  

I'm aware of that, but if everyone had a car no one would move.

I had a scooter and carried loads of things on it, including patio pavers.

If too big for the scooter hire a baht bus.

I'll use a m'bike and get around, but you can enjoy sitting in traffic jams.