quality angle grinder wanted

Joinaman

Hi there. 

And stop laughing at my post, cos thats what i really want. Any recommendations for a decent, long lasting 100mm angle grinder here in the land of <deleted> and copies ?

My last grinder decided to go Phuttt today, the 5th one in just over 3 years. Have tried Bosch, Makita, both packed up quickly, then went to buying 2 cheap ones at a time, managed around 6 months if lucky 

Went to Mega Home today, had a muppet on the shop floor telling me how good the guarantee was on a De Walt. # years he said, but on the box said, "Limited Guarantee" and could not/would tell me what this meant,  Any advice would be welcome, but can't help thinking the prices of 45 uk pounds + for what would be a 10 pound unit in the Uk , and with a decent guarantee !

8 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Went to Mega Home today, had a muppet on the shop floor telling me how good the guarantee was on a De Walt.

Dewalt hands down. I work in industry and they are used worldwide and considered very reliable. 

I also have the cordless Dewalt angle grinder sitting on my desk right now, very good. 

Both of our "baby" grinders (we have a "proper" Bosch) were freebies with something else.

One B&D the other Stanley, they don't get a massive hammering but after 8+ years they just keep on going.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Dewalt hands down. I work in industry and they are used worldwide and considered very reliable. 

I also have the cordless Dewalt angle grinder sitting on my desk right now, very good. 

Ihave used De Walt for many years, but bought in the UK, and always lasted. Told that De walt here are chinese made copies ?. And around 1,700 baht ??

1 hour ago, northsouthdevide said:

What are you doing with them for them, all good brands to die so soon? 

Are you using and storing them correctly? 

Not trying to be a smart @#s, but looks like you're killing them. 

use them for cutting the cheap concrete blocks , some light steel cutting, and grinding off welds, nothing heavy, just steady use

In construction since leaving school, so know how to use power tools., and when all the tools are paid for by yourself, you soon learn to look after them. 

Have tools in the Uk that's been used, and sometimes abused, still going strong after many years, so not sure why these overheat and conk out so easily. Stored under the workbench in the work shed, warm and dry when not in use

13 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

use them for cutting the cheap concrete blocks ,

I found one time a mini circular saw for concrete. It came with a water hose and a nozzle for cooling the blade. 

Maybe have a separate tool for different jobs would prolong their life?

As for angle grinder. I believe finding one with easily replaceable brushes would be good. Ie exposed plastic screw in plugs which hold the brushes.

• Like 1

I would like to know what the OP uses a grinder for ,we have a small holding rearing a few cattle and my Makita grinder has had a lot of  heavy use  mainly grinding steel ,have done a few blocks ,cut then with no problem ,must be 6-7 years old now.

Try another Makita, we have a local guy who repairs grinders drill etc , and not expensive ,see if you have a guy locally'

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I found one time a mini circular saw for concrete. It came with a water hose and a nozzle for cooling the blade. 

Maybe have a separate tool for different jobs would prolong their life?

As for angle grinder. I believe finding one with easily replaceable brushes would be good. Ie exposed plastic screw in plugs which hold the brushes.

My last grinder had these plastic screws to access the brushes, one popped out and give me a nice belt when i made contact with the spring. Looks like i might have to try the De Walt one, and ignore the , so called, 3 year guarantee. 

Have a Sthil saw in the UK, always used this for cutting any concrete/brick, still going strong after 20+ years

Seems an awful lot of things here soon fail, and try to get a repair or replacement is a joke, kettles, irons, lights, even the office chairs 

3 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I would like to know what the OP uses a grinder for ,we have a small holding rearing a few cattle and my Makita grinder has had a lot of  heavy use  mainly grinding steel ,have done a few blocks ,cut then with no problem ,must be 6-7 years old now.

Try another Makita, we have a local guy who repairs grinders drill etc , and not expensive ,see if you have a guy locally'

As stated before, used to cut the cheap hollow concrete blocks , usually not more than 8 or 10 blocks at a time, then might be many hours before using again

Also grinding small welds on 1" and 2" box sections, Maybe grind 20 welds then again, not use for many hours

Don't put heavy pressure on the machines, easier to let the blade/disc do the work, but find they get hot quickly, although it has been 40c just lately and have been working in the sun too

This DeWalt 4" is on its 6th year of constant stone to steel abuse only asking for one set of brushes and a on off switch. Local dealer can replace most of its parts if required.

dewalt.jpg.679f58973e69f7b9a2f4cbd8fa731603.jpg

Makita and DeWalt (Heavy duty Black & Decker) are both excellent with dealers around Thailand offering good support and spare parts. 

• Like 1

DeWalt, Black & Decker and Stanly is all the same company.

If you're cutting a lot of concrete could be the dust getting in and causing them to overheat. You might try running a LITTLE water on the concrete while your cutting...

I have a Ryobi that was cheap and has been pretty good. Regardless of what brand you buy, I recommend you plug it in an listen to it run before you buy it. You'll often hear a big difference, buy the one that sounds best. For production we always ran air-grinders. Lighter, cooler, faster, last forever and don't care if they get wet....

Two reasons why they conk out the cheap ones are made d <deleted> metal never force one just let the speed of it do the job,and if it's just not working take the bushes out if the faces look shiny a bit of very fine wet and dry sandpaper will clean them up

4 minutes ago, kingdong said:

For cutting concrete blocks you might be better off with a 9 inch one ( angle grinder that is )

I find a circular saw better for cutting concrete blocks than an angle grinder.

Edited by Don Mega

Sounds like you've been dammed unlucky with a few purchases. 

I worked in the demolition in the UK about 30 years ago. 

The company supplied us always with bosch grinders, and they took 1 hell of a daily hammering. At the time, they where the only ones about with a click lock that only required 1 spanner. 

We also had a couple of no name brand spares that were used as backup, when we were very busy. They also took quite a hammering, but we're very cheap things. 

My friend and colleague come over for a holiday a few years ago, and we where in homepro, and he pointed them out. 

His memory is much better than mine. 

The name was ryoby or ryobi...... The morel of the story....... Buy makita ????

Good luck with your next one, what ever it brand it is. 

I highly recomment Hitachi. I have had mine for about 10 years now - it has been full-on involved with the building of a house, a boat, and numerous welding projects. It is an awsome tool that has never missed a beat... and feels great in my hands, with the switcvh on top where imhpo it should be. I hate those with the switch at the back - dangerous turning it on and off in some situations, I find...
something like: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/angle-grinder-hitachi-4-g10ss2-i267015146-s416819278.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.16.25f13575ehuqMr&search=1

In Thailand, quality affordable power tool brands including Makita, DeWALT, Milwaukee, Hikoki (formerly Hitachi) Bosch all offer different "series" and different models of 4" and 5" angle grinders. Yet often a home builder in Thailand would be better served if he had different power tools for different types of jobs. One tool can't do a great job of everything, and most often a 5" or larger angle grinder has more power than a 4" angle grinder. Any mainstream quality brand can be repaired in a timely fashion in Thailand in my observation. There are no fake tools at Homepro or Global House or Thaiwatsadu or Ruangsangthai Home Builders Merchants in Buriram. There are many real tools sold on Lazada, and it seems many counterfeit power tools sold on Lazada and Shoppe. If you read ALL the reviews about a tool and the store selling the tool you will see trends. Often on Lazada or Shoppe they leave out some included accessories that you would get included at Homepro in Buriram, or Global House or Thaiwatsadu or Ruangsangthai Builders Merchants. I have seen dozens of counterfeit tools come in for repairs at the authorized Bosch, authorized Makita, authorized DeWALT repair station. Tool repair technicians have taken apart a genuine tool of the exact same model and placed it side by side with the opened up item in for repair. I see over 50 name brand power tools and water pumps depart every day at 4pm for Kerry express from Buriram. I am more inclined to buy and recommend Makita garden tools over Auto Mac Tools in Buriram. To me it is not just the initial cost of buying a water pump or power tool. It is how many years of satisfaction will I get from a quality tool or water pump. I note what size and brand of power tools the Australian home building contractor brought over in a shipping container and buys new in Buriram as he works on my home in a village. 

Any proper tool shop in Thailand will let you sit down, enjoy a beverage and let you read the catalogs and compare cordless or corded power tools or water pumps. No need to stand and calculate or download the app of a brand. 

Makita Tools Thailand Delivery Friday May 22.jpg

Buriram Makita 9 inch angle grinder.JPG

Buriram Makita 18 volt 36 volt tools Thailand delivery.jpg

Buriram Milwaukee Magnetic Drill Press at Bosch Display.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, you always seem to have great input a and refreshing attitude. The photos are generally a treat as well.

I find using a nice tool gives a little extra pleasure every time I use it, I also ten to take much better care of good tools than SG tools. 

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1