U.S. orders 300 million doses of potential COVID-19 vaccine

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

"made available by October" vs "available vaccine by 2021"

????

A cororavirus vaccine cannot be reasonably expected until the end of 2021.  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/04/a-coronavirus-vaccine-wont-be-ready-untl-end-of-2021-professors-says.html

Someone in the US government seems to be depending on warp speed politics instead of medical science to boost the US economy before the November 2020 election. 

My understanding.

An Untested vaccine is available right now.  What the US has done is purchase 300 million doses so that manufacturing of the untested vaccine can start now and be ready by late fall for distribution if tests prove positive by then,  if not it will be destroyed or stored for other uses.  In other words we are getting a jump  on the process.

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, sirineou said:

My understanding.

An Untested vaccine is available right now.  What the US has done is purchase 300 million doses so that manufacturing of the untested vaccine can start now and be ready by late fall for distribution if tests prove positive by then,  if not it will be destroyed or stored for other uses.  In other words we are getting a jump  on the process.

You're not getting anything. Oxford University, in conjunction with Astra Zenica, a British pharmaceutical company, announced earlier this week that they have 60 million doses in production, to be ready in September. 30m doses are earmarked for British citizens and 30m doses are earmarked for 3rd world countries. Where the US is getting its 300m doses from in September is anyones guess. My guess is more fake news from the White House.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Azar

"Azar argued that the pharmaceutical industry was best poised to discover, manufacture, and market a vaccine for coronavirus. When asked about the cost of vaccines, Azar responded that the price might be high, but that an important vaccine would be created even if many Americans could not afford it."

Not on the UK's watch.

Edited by Phil McCaverty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

You're not getting anything. Oxford University, in conjunction with Astra Zenica, a British pharmacutical company, announced earlier this week that they have 60 million doses in production, to be ready in September. 30m doses are earmarked for British citizens and 30m doses are earmarked for 3rd world countries. Where the US is getting its 300m doses from in September is anyones guess. My guess is more fake news from the White House.

Quite possible. I only know what I read. and it seems to contradict what you said. 

"BENGALURU /LONDON - The United States has secured almost a third of the first one billion doses planned for AstraZeneca's experimental COVID-19 vaccine by pledging up to $1.2 billion, as world powers scramble for medicines to get their economies back to work.  "

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/us-secures-300-million-doses-potential-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine

"This contract with AstraZeneca is a major milestone in Operation Warp Speed’s work toward a safe, effective, widely available vaccine by 2021,” HHS Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement. "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-astrazeneca-hhs/us-orders-300-million-doses-of-potential-covid-19-vaccine-idUSKBN22X0V0

So Apparently there is a contract. 

Personally I think  trump will do anything to have this Covid 19 situation resolved or appear resolved before the election, otherwise he is toast.

If he is reelected an other four years of presidential protection  will go a long way towards a lot of his legal problems going away. 

If he loses reelection all bets are off. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Quite possible. I only know what I read. and it seems to contradict what you said. 

"BENGALURU /LONDON - The United States has secured almost a third of the first one billion doses planned for AstraZeneca's experimental COVID-19 vaccine by pledging up to $1.2 billion, as world powers scramble for medicines to get their economies back to work.  "

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/us-secures-300-million-doses-potential-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine

"This contract with AstraZeneca is a major milestone in Operation Warp Speed’s work toward a safe, effective, widely available vaccine by 2021,” HHS Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement. "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-astrazeneca-hhs/us-orders-300-million-doses-of-potential-covid-19-vaccine-idUSKBN22X0V0

So Apparently there is a contract. 

Personally I think  trump will do anything to have this Covid 19 situation resolved or appear resolved before the election, otherwise he is toast.

If he is reelected an other four years of presidential protection  will go a long way towards a lot of his legal problems going away. 

If he loses reelection all bets are off. 

Nothing in there to suggest that the US is in line for the first tranche of vaccine (60 m doses) due in September. I guess they'll just have to get in line.

It'll be interesting to see how the US public react to having to pay big bucks for the vaccine when British citizens and 3rd world countries are getting it for free.

Edited by Phil McCaverty
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Nothing in there to suggest that the US is in line for the first tranche of vaccine (60 m doses) due in September. I guess they'll just have to get in line.

As I said I only know what I read. 

"The U.S. government has ordered 300 million doses of a potential COVID-19 virus being developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University and hopes first doses can be made available by October, the Department of Health and Human Services said on Thursday. "

If there is a contract , I am sure there are terms to that contract. Perhaps the US order is in addition to the other production by others ,

I dont know.  Let's home there is enough for everyone. Don't forget there are other vaccines in development also, and then there is herd immunity.  CDC just announced that as much as one third of infections are asymptomatic, and then there are news of two studies that confirm immunity if one had the virus. So this is a rapidly developing issue. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

As I said I only know what I read. 

"The U.S. government has ordered 300 million doses of a potential COVID-19 virus being developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University and hopes first doses can be made available by October, the Department of Health and Human Services said on Thursday. "

If there is a contract , I am sure there are terms to that contract. Perhaps the US order is in addition to the other production by others ,

I dont know.  Let's home there is enough for everyone. Don't forget there are other vaccines in development also, and then there is herd immunity.  CDC just announced that as much as one third of infections are asymptomatic, and then there are news of two studies that confirm immunity if one had the virus. So this is a rapidly developing issue. 

As the OP stated the announcement was made by Alex Azar Trump appointee to the post of head of the Department of Health and Human Services. Trump is not best pleased with him and is threatening to replace him. Probably produced some "alternative facts" to get back in his masters good books.

The rest of the world is determined to provide the vaccine at cost, free in the UK, However the US doesn't see things like that.

"Azar argued that the pharmaceutical industry was best poised to discover, manufacture, and market a vaccine for coronavirus. When asked about the cost of vaccines, Azar responded that the price might be high, but that an important vaccine would be created even if many Americans could not afford it."

For this reason, the rest of the world think its right and proper for the US to get to the back of the queue.

Edited by Phil McCaverty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, pegman said:

There must be an angle in this for Trump somehow. There always is.

dailybeast says slaoui (vaxx czar) has $10 million in last week's pump-n-dump stock, moderna.  ok, he was on the board.  and azar was with glaxosmithkline and eli lilly.  not necessarily evil - at least they know something about vaccines.

strange though, that they'd be buying 400 million doses for $1 billion before knowing if the vaccine is effective.  or deadly.

“It is ...jumping the gun as we don’t know that this vaccine will work,'' he said. “Early studies using the Oxford vaccine in monkeys showed that while vaccination reduced the severity of disease preventing pneumonia it failed to stop the animals from becoming infected,'' with the virus that causes COVID-19.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2020-05-21/astrazeneca-secures-orders-for-covid-19-vaccine

Soriot did say it is not guaranteed the vaccine will work but said they are confident and that there is good reason for it to work.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/21/investing/astrazeneca-ceo-interview-vaccine-coronavirus/index.html

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

My understanding.

And if it is a bust like 90% of vaccines? 

This is what seed money for research is for.

Stating that you are ordering 300 million of something that has a GREAT chance of failing is only for show and the accompanying stock boost.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

dailybeast says slaoui (vaxx czar) has $10 million in last week's pump-n-dump stock, moderna.  ok, he was on the board.  and azar was with glaxosmithkline and eli lilly.  not necessarily evil - at least they know something about vaccines.

strange though, that they'd be buying 400 million doses for $1 billion before knowing if the vaccine is effective.  or deadly.

“It is ...jumping the gun as we don’t know that this vaccine will work,'' he said. “Early studies using the Oxford vaccine in monkeys showed that while vaccination reduced the severity of disease preventing pneumonia it failed to stop the animals from becoming infected,'' with the virus that causes COVID-19.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2020-05-21/astrazeneca-secures-orders-for-covid-19-vaccine

Soriot did say it is not guaranteed the vaccine will work but said they are confident and that there is good reason for it to work.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/21/investing/astrazeneca-ceo-interview-vaccine-coronavirus/index.html

In effect it is an investment to greatly speed up vaccine development particularly manufacture.  The US gets 300 million doses and the other 700 million planned would presumably help the rest of the world get stated fast too.

The vaccine power of AstraZeneca comes from acquiring US company MedImmune in 2006 for US$ 15 billion to gain flu vaccines and an anti-viral treatments. They are in Gaithersburg, Maryland. The FDA would have very close ties and knowledge about their vaccine work since its next to Washington.

Maybe your relatives know the area, they fought there during the Civil War.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rabas said:

In effect it is an investment to greatly speed up vaccine development particularly manufacture.  The US gets 300 million doses and the other 700 million planned would presumably help the rest of the world get stated fast too.

The vaccine power of AstraZeneca comes from acquiring US company MedImmune in 2006 for US$ 15 billion to gain flu vaccines and an anti-viral treatments. They are in Gaithersburg, Maryland. The FDA would have very close ties and knowledge about their vaccine work since its next to Washington.

Maybe your relatives know the area, they fought there during the Civil War.

out of nearly 100 potential vaccines, we need to purchase 400 million doses of one that is still unproven.

what's that about maryland?  my relatives fought in the defense of petersburg.

4 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

It'll be interesting to see how the US public react to having to pay big bucks for the vaccine when British citizens and 3rd world countries are getting it for free.

We've been subsidizing your drug costs for years, so nothing new for us.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, xylophone said:

Also of course is the fact that despite these coronaviruses being known about for decades, there has not been one truly successful vaccine produced which can stop the infection – – doesn't give one a lot of hope!

There was no need for a vaccine.

SARS 1 disappeared.

All other corona viruses are just a cold, not dangerous at all.

• Like 1

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/oxford-university-calls-10-000-151340986.html

Health

Oxford University calls for 10,000 volunteers as coronavirus vaccine testing enters next stage

6444b400-b2f3-11e6-8ae7-f78be97b10cf_app_icon_square_128px.png.cf.jpg
Bill Gardner
The Telegraph22 May 2020

Oxford University scientists leading the global search for a coronavirus vaccine are to recruit "very healthy" over-55s to help with clinical trials.

The next phase of testing will focus on how older adults' immune systems respond, the Oxford vaccine group said on Friday.

Scientists are looking for 10,260 people from across the UK to take the jab, considered a front-runner in the world race for a vaccine.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:12 AM, Crazy Alex said:

Trump should talk up this potential vaccine. It would be fun to watch leftists automatically hate it. They literally cannot help themselves.

Why do you say that?  The malaria drug and lightening yourself from the inside, and shooting bleach has worked wonders 

No stocks reported in this company ,as far as I can tell 

He does have a trust(which he doesn't manage and is perfectly allowed. It is Dodge and Cox international mutual fund that invests in many stocks!

One of those stocks D & C invests in is Sanofl one is Astra and many more. !

The fund has lost share value since the beginning of the years!

https://www.dodgeandcox.com/pdf/shareholder_reports/dc_international_fact_sheet.pdf