Another RCBO tripping

Susco

Yup.  Now we can add wasps to the insidious critter list for electrical anomalies. Ants and geckos head the list building nests, laying eggs, or just being themselves.  But, even dust webs built up over time can trip an RCD.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Yup.  Now we can add wasps to the insidious critter list for electrical anomalies. Ants and geckos head the list building nests, laying eggs, or just being themselves.  But, even dust webs built up over time can trip an RCD.

I now routinely add ant powder inside any electrical box or fittings I open, it seems to help a bit and does no harm, and is cheap as chips.

• Like 1

Some of us get our excitement to look under the bonnets and skirts :whistling:

Bankruatsteve got it right pointing to foreign objects in the terminal, which isn't allowed and now there are no flights.

Buzzing bodies between electronics gave away the hint to look inside the outside corner.

Get it cleaned and as said do check the surrounding works, 'reconnect' (Clean up the terminals, strip off eventually charred wires), and turn on the juice to see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I now routinely add ant powder inside any electrical box or fittings I open, it seems to help a bit and does no harm, and is cheap as chips.

For him, if wasps are a recurring issue, it rewards well to hang up a fake wasp nest near the unit. It has a scarecrow function as wassp don't build near other wasp nests.

• Like 1

I start cleaning out, it is  completely full, but had to give up because the wasps kept coming.

Will have to wait till tomorrow to continue I guess.

We have a lot of mason wasps here, although not sure if this is the same thing, as this is a cluster of all small balls, and very sticky black stuff

• Like 2

Any suggestions how to clean out that <deleted>?

That stuff is so sticky, and with the limited space can only remove the bigger parts as can not reach with a brush.

Anyway if used a brush to clean the cover plate only, and sticky <deleted> makes the brush useless in no time.

I get some of it removed from the location where the electric wires are connected, and the RCBO doesn't trip anymore, but compressor doesn't start.

You think could go ahead with high pressure cleaner?

9 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Probably need a new B500 contactor.  I'm on my 3rd in my old style AC - ants for me.  But, did you take off the top cover?

What you mean with top cover, open the compressor housing?

Indoor unit has no issues, because it's far away, and start normal. It's only after a minute or 2 when the compressor is intended to start, that the indoor unit flashes an error

27 minutes ago, Susco said:

What you mean with top cover, open the compressor housing?

Yes.  The top should remove with a few screws.  You have better access to your problem.  If that is "inverter" unit though, it's probably time to call technician.  

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Bummer ????

You really need to get the man out, but at least you know what was causing the tripping.

Should that be the LG man, or would any competent aircon guy be able to do the job?

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Should that be the LG man, or would any competent aircon guy be able to do the job?

To be honest, I'd call LG and see what they say, if it was non-inverter your local chap would be the way to go.

Try the local chap first, it can't hurt but he may not have access to the necessary spares.

8 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

You actually might get warranty replacement since the compressor.  I did when my Daikin pc board needed swap out.

That would be nice, though I doubt that wasps building a nest inside, is covered by warranty

20 minutes ago, Susco said:

That would be nice, though I doubt that wasps building a nest inside, is covered by warranty

Probably not - my dishwasher was not covered for the rat damage and it was clearly a fault in not sealing bottom properly (and they did seal (screening) for a fee).  Evidently tasty German food includes electrical wires.  

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Not a pretty picture!  Not sure how much you could remove with a vacuum cleaner crevice tool.

I don't think vacuum cleaner is an option, unless I want to ruin the vacuum cleaner, but I was considering using the Karcher.

Bad idea or not?

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

I don't think vacuum cleaner is an option, unless I want to ruin the vacuum cleaner, but I was considering using the Karcher.

Bad idea or not?

I would not use water inside unit - especially at high pressure.  Much safer calling help.  They do have air blowers that might work (a mess but may get is out).  Some vacuum have that option but not very powerful - airconditioner cleaning uses dedicated units to clean/dry fins and they are quite powerful so all the more reason to call the pros.

image.jpeg.5f23f106508738ec034bb61f08697513.jpeg

Edited by lopburi3

Got the LG technician here, he had a quick look and quoted 7800 Baht for repair, because according to him bees in the condenser.

There are no bees in the condenser, only the electrical part.

Quote then went down to 5000 baht, which made it clear that this was a rip off, attempt.

I guess for 7800 baht I can buy a second hand outdoor unit.

Was charged 428 Baht also for 5 minutes look at it

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

I guess for 7800 baht I can buy a second hand outdoor unit.

You might even get a new no name unit which might work just as good.  We replaced inside first and then outside units with local brands at one time and they worked just as good as the name brand they replaced (and actually made by the same factory here in Thailand).  But would try a blow out of that electric area first as that might be all that is required (remove wire connectors/clean once mess removed).  

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You might even get a new no name unit which might work just as good.  We replaced inside first and then outside units with local brands at one time and they worked just as good as the name brand they replaced (and actually made by the same factory here in Thailand).  But would try a blow out of that electric area first as that might be all that is required (remove wire connectors/clean once mess removed).  

Blower not gonna work, because that stuff sticks like glue, and is soft.

Not sure what high pressure cleaner could damage, because when aircon is cleaned they also pressure clean the outdoor units