Brighton Grand Hotel

champers

On my nightly exercise I see that this hotel has been open since Sunday and an increasing number of rooms are occupied, according to rooms with lights on. I counted 36 tonight and that is just one half of the rooms, the ones facing Naklua/Pattaya Road.

I wonder if these rooms are occupied by paying guests or are being used as quarantine rooms for Thais returning from abroad. If the latter, there are worse things in the world than being quarantined in a 5 star hotel.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Wasn't it the Grand Hotel in Brighton where someone tried to blow up Margaret Thatcher.

I like Brighton, I used to live there.

Yes, during the miners' strike giving some cause to think it was Arthur Scargill's doing. It was actually the IRA who were responsible.

"Govt unveils ‘business class’ quarantine option"

Just seen in this thread that the Government has launched a luxury quarantine option today for returning Thais. Those in quarantine have to pay. Ideal for wealthy businessmen, students with rich parents and diplomats.

13 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Wasn't it the Grand Hotel in Brighton where someone tried to blow up Margaret Thatcher.

I like Brighton, I used to live there.

As Champers noted, it was the IRA that planted a bomb under the bath in room 629 which was 5 floors below where Maggie was staying.  The bomb was planted around mid September but delayed to go off on the 12th October killing 5 people.

15 hours ago, SidJames said:

The Ambassadour in NaJomtien is being used as a quarantine base.

I read that Thais returning from Malaysia would be quarantined there..had to do a double take on their latest notice board though.   Health and Sport Center :shock1:

crop_P_20200520_132301.thumb.jpg.60aaa77ac9b8adb50bc951ead6775fbc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...