Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Man injured by kitchen explosion, leaking gas cylinder suspected

Recommended Posts

Man injured by kitchen explosion, leaking gas cylinder suspected

By Eakkapop Thongtub

 

1590042280_1-org.jpg

The force of the blast blew out the shopfront windows, brought down celing panels and displaced roofing tiles. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

 

PHUKET: Police believe that a gas leak caused an explosion that injured a man when he turned the kitchen light on at his shophouse home in Grand Boat Plaza village in Rassada early this morning (May 21).

 

Capt Ronnaphoom Phermpoon of the Phuket City Police was called to the scene at 5am.

 

On arriving at the shophouse unit, police saw the shopfront glass across the ground, a wooden seat had been sent tumbling and letters from the ARTS Factory Co Ltd sign above the door were left scattered.

 

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/man-injured-by-kitchen-explosion-leaking-gas-cylinder-suspected-76129.php

 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-05-22
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And he didn't smell gas before operating the light switch?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can someone help me understand how turning on the light ignited the gas ? serious question.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mr mr said:

can someone help me understand how turning on the light ignited the gas ? serious question.

thanks

When turning on a light switch, the internal electrical contacts inside the switch often generate an electrical spark as the electrical current flows through the switch contacts, thus igniting any flammable gas in the room.

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr mr said:

can someone help me understand how turning on the light ignited the gas ? serious question.

thanks

That´squite easy. Ask yourself how faulty electric can start a fire? Then you will have your answer. Voila!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crossy said:

And he didn't smell gas before operating the light switch?

That looks like multi-tasking to me, so probably not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simon43 said:

When turning on a light switch, the internal electrical contacts inside the switch often generate an electrical spark as the electrical current flows through the switch contacts, thus igniting any flammable gas in the room.

does that have anything to do with the lines not being grounded here  or just something that happens normally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, mr mr said:

does that have anything to do with the lines not being grounded here  or just something that happens normally. 

 

Just depends on the quality of the contacts. Cheap switch more likely make a spark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mr mr said:

can someone help me understand how turning on the light ignited the gas ? serious question.

thanks

Sparks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Sparks !

Yeah, they were good.

Sparks - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Yeah, they were good.

Sparks - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music

Still going strong - though Lyric content seems a bit dire

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Still going strong - though Lyric content seems a bit dire

 

Thanks so much for that!

From the intro to the song, I now know that Edwin Beard Budding (1796–1846), an engineer from Eastington, Stroud, was the English inventor of the lawnmower (1830) and adjustable spanner (1842).

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Beard_Budding#Adjustable_spanner 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, webfact said:

Police believe that a gas leak caused an explosion that injured a man when he turned the kitchen light

Moral of the story don't turn the light on .. use a candle instead .. 

Mate of mine done similar boiling off Propane used to extract oil from green , demolishing his kitchen extension in the process .. Fire Brigade and Plod turned up in full emergency mode , they see Dave wandering about dazed and start asking questions .. " Dunno what happened ' he said " think the missus put too much rice in the pressure cooker " .. to which Fireman says " was it green rice and why's all your hair and eyebrows scorched off " before carting him off the hospital .. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...