Recommend me a Treadmill, Please

Looking to buy a treadmill for the house. Looking on Lazada they are all over the place in price. 

Not looking for anything fancy, dont need heart rate monitor/screens/bluetooth etc just a standard, full size treadmill. The images for the units I see online are deceptively pictured, making the unit look larger than it really is so Im having a hard time finding one. 

Anyone have a cheap-ish one that they are satisfied with? 

Buy something that will not break your heart to see it standing there in the corner taking space and gathering dust when you'll trow in the towel after a short use... no pun intended...

• Like 1

To be honest a good treadmill is expensive. The cheaper ones break down  quite easy.

Like Ezzra said often people wont use it enough. I got a gym at home and i got my money out of it. Still a normal gym is cheaper.

If you want quality think about a concept 2 rowing machine. Easy to store and will last you a lifetime and is much cheaper then a good treadmill.

But its harder to use. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

Like Ezzra said often people wont use it enough. I got a gym at home and i got my money out of it. Still a normal gym is cheaper.

I train/lift religiously but the lockdowns and risk of spread in sweaty gyms have put me off. 

Not really looking for 'a good' treadmill, just looking for one that is functional in its truest form. I figure if I keep it lubricated and waxed it'll be fine for a cheap one for personal use, at least for a year or 2 until all this virus <deleted> settles down. 

I know good ones are expensive, but I dont really need a good one or a fancy one, just a belt and motor with incline and handrails/emergency stop thats full size for a full run. 

1 minute ago, Mama Noodle said:

I train/lift religiously but the lockdowns and risk of spread in sweaty gyms have put me off. 

Not really looking for 'a good' treadmill, just looking for one that is functional in its truest form. I figure if I keep it lubricated and waxed it'll be fine for a cheap one for personal use, at least for a year or 2 until all this virus <deleted> settles down. 

I know good ones are expensive, but I dont really need a good one or a fancy one, just a belt and motor with incline and handrails/emergency stop thats full size for a full run. 

Ok sorry i could not be more helpful. If that is all what you want one or 2 years then a cheap one probably will work. 

• Like 1

I just went trough the whole thing looking at treadmills for months, and finely got one I am very happy with. Strong machine, not the fastest and steepest, but perfect for my purpose. And I promiss you it is used, and will be used. 

My advise, do not buy one to short, to little engine, and buy from someone who will service it for you if problems. 

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ok sorry i could not be more helpful. If that is all what you want one or 2 years then a cheap one probably will work. 

No worries amigo. Just looking for advice is all. I tried a jog this morning in my little street and nearly got mauled by dogs going ape-sh*t so just want some peace and exercise at the house.

1 minute ago, Mama Noodle said:

No worries amigo. Just looking for advice is all. I tried a jog this morning in my little street and nearly got mauled by dogs going ape-sh*t so just want some peace and exercise at the house.

I got a crosstrainer and a rowing machine. But truth be told the rowing machine is super heavy. Its one of the best cardio exercise but real intense far more then running or the crosstrainer.

Good thing is that it takes only a little bit space when put away and can be put back in less then 5 minutes.

But i found it easier to get in the "zone" on a treadmill as it requires less coordination and is easier. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

how long is a piece of string?  Depends on your weight, how vigorously you use it, how often you use it, where it is kept.  I would say that as a very very general rule of thumb, if you pay less than 12,000 Baht, it will be weak and unreliable and not last .  If you pay upwards of 20,000 you may get one than is functional, but not good enough for rigorous every day use, maybe last you a couple of years.  A good reliable machine that can stand a bit of wear and will last you, will be 30,000 up.  Don't buy Chinese, so not Lazarda.  There are online suppliers in Bangkok where you can get a good machine.  

Edited by Pilotman

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I got a crosstrainer and a rowing machine. But truth be told the rowing machine is super heavy. Its one of the best cardio exercise but real intense far more then running or the crosstrainer.

Good thing is that it takes only a little bit space when put away and can be put back in less then 5 minutes.

But i found it easier to get in the "zone" on a treadmill as it requires less coordination and is easier. 

I have a herniated disc thats extremely sensitive to exercises and I have to be very careful nowadays. Rowing machines are right in a position to aggravate it unfortunately. Ellipticals (cross trainer) are ok, but I like the natural walking/jogging/running of treadmills and outdoor exercise. 

Just now, Mama Noodle said:

I have a herniated disc thats extremely sensitive to exercises and I have to be very careful nowadays. Rowing machines are right in a position to aggravate it unfortunately. Ellipticals (cross trainer) are ok, but I like the natural walking/jogging/running of treadmills and outdoor exercise. 

To be honest i hate cardio.. i almost never skip weight training.. but cardio.. that is a different matter. I stay lean because of eating ok not because of exercise. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

To be honest i hate cardio.. i almost never skip weight training.. but cardio.. that is a different matter. I stay lean because of eating ok not because of exercise. 

Well, diet is #1 isnt it ????

Weights are the fun part, diet is the actual lifestyle. 

• Like 1

I would ensure the running area is at least 50cm and the motor at least 2.5 chp. I run almost daily on mine around 10km. It is a Johnson make and cost around 30k. I silicone belt every 2 weeks and check/tighten everything. I have to replace running belt yearly at a cost of 3k. Johnson motors are dc and on some models give a lifetime guarantee on motor(not going to neccessarily be honoured in Thailand)  but  gives confidence in lasting quality. I would also ensure the treadmill has auto incline to ease change and vary during run. Treadmils less than 20k in my opinion will not last and may overheat quickly. Motor hp is not a good guide but constant hp gives better idea.

Edited by poosmate

The best advice would be to buy from someone who can offer service. We bought a fairly nice one for about 30,000 baht from Home Pro. After about 3 years, the motor started making a foul smell. Like burning rubber. Called Home Pro for service. They said they do not service equipment out of warranty. I had only been using the unit for maybe 3 hours a week, at most. That is nothing. Should have lasted 15 years, at that rate. After haggling with them for a month, they sent a guy out who made a minor adjustment. No difference. They said if we wanted, we could have a Home Pro truck deliver it to the service facility in Bangkok. The facility said the repair would be about 3,500. So we hired a small truck and a crew to deliver it to Home Pro. A few weeks later, the company called us and said the repair would be 9,800. We said no. They said you need to pick up the unit. We told them off, and told them to keep it. Home Pro kept calling us, and telling us we needed to get the unit out of the shop. We told them off, and instructed them to lose our phone number. End of story. Not worth the money.

Buy from a small shop that can offer service, or buy a high end unit from a gym that is going out of business. But, from all of the gyms I have spoken to over the years, their biggest challenge is getting their equipment repaired effectively. These units seem to break down alot. If anyone has a particular brand they recommend, that is exceptionally dependable, but not stupid expensive, by all means please share that information with us. 

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

After about 3 years, the motor started making a foul smell. Like burning rubber. Called Home Pro for service. They said they do not service equipment out of warranty. I had only been using the unit for maybe 3 hours a week, at most. That is nothing. Should have lasted 15 years, at that rate.

Did you buy and use the lubricant and deck wax thats required for basic maintenance on these machines? 

I have always been a runner but never liked tread mills,it is just not the same!

Not much of an exercise !!Until i tried a manual treadmill.

Very cheap but oh boy what a good machine to get you in shape!

It is a  really good work out and it makes you sweat!!

Takes a few days to get used to it but imo one of the best machines there is.

32 minutes ago, jvs said:

I have always been a runner but never liked tread mills,it is just not the same!

You have a link? If this is not a prank post? ????????

the ones I see as manual ones is hyper expensive concave treadmills? 

23 minutes ago, Tagged said:

You have a link? If this is not a prank post? ????????

the ones I see as manual ones is hyper expensive concave treadmills? 

I am not joking,i just checked and there are pictures if you google 'manual treadmill'.

I will look for a place to buy also.

Just looked on Lazada,they have some for under 2000baht,not saying i would buy

one of those.I am old fashioned and like to be able to check before i buy.

Maybe Homepro or a shop like that have them.

Ten times the workout for a lot less money.

Edited by jvs

8 hours ago, jvs said:

Made sweat in part because the rollers & belt heat up and started burning my feet. Became quite uncomfortable and limited the time I could spend on it. I'm serious.

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Made sweat in part because the rollers & belt heat up and started burning my feet. Became quite uncomfortable and limited the time I could spend on it. I'm serious.

I'm sure you are right in your case,i never had that problem.

I did one hour a day for a few months and never had any trouble with the machine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 10:42 AM, jvs said:

There are some 160k treadmills that are manual and really good. But would probably be too hard for normal people to use. I know I would not pay the amount of money for it.

https://eastwestfitness.com/product/assault-air-runner/

1 hour ago, Sundown said:

Running is bad for a numbers of reasons, but it's enough for you to just look how hardcore runners look unhealthy .

Do some hiit or weight lifting.

Walking incline is a good exercise, thats why I bought it, but now for first time in decades to start running also, so a combination of walking and running have given me new inspiration. Feels good to