Yellow Book Question

8 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Thinking about going today to get my Yellow Book. Other than my passport and little passport photos, what should I take?

Marriage certificate, wife blue book/ID card among other things. 

But the end of the day getting a yellow book varies widely from amphor to amphor so the only way to do it would be to prepare yourself for the run around nonsense and go there and ask. 

My first one was easy enough, just alot of running around. When we sold our old house and bought a new one, I didn't even do anything to change the Yellow book, the wife just went there and took care of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am planning on going to get mine in the summer holiday next month.

From what I saw online before I think it is (Passport, Work Permit if working in Thailand, Marriage Certificate, Blue Book from the owner and owner's ID). I even saw on one discussion that one person was asked for their birth certificated translated in Thai ????

Edited by BobbyL
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MartinL said:

Attached is list FOR MY LOCAL TESSABAN, from a few years ago - yours might be entirely different. 

Crazy how it varies from town to town. I remember having to have witnesses, but do not remember having to have my passport copy certified and translated. 

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The correct name is a certificate of residency issued by a immigration office. The same certificate is needed to get a driver's license or register a car.

I see. So, I would need to first go to an immigration office to secure that, or go to the Tessabaan office to see if they ask for it first?

5 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Crazy how it varies from town to town. I remember having to have witnesses, but do not remember having to have my passport copy certified and translated. 

It seems entirely arbitrary. In Amphur Muang Khon Kaen, they DIDN'T want the passport things but here in Phon, same province, 80-odd km. away, they did and wouldn't budge on that.

• Like 1

OP, the requirements can vary depending on your local Amper. 

Most will require the blue book for the property, your name translated into Thai with MFA certification, certificate of residence from immigration. If your local Ampher requires MFA translations, and you are married, you marriage documents will usually be accepted as they contain MFA translations

Below are the requirements for Pattaya

yellow.jpg

Edited by Peterw42

2 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Is a Certificate of Residence a letter from Immigration attesting to my current physical address?

Yes, thats correct. And long stay visa status.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JCP108 said:

Is a Certificate of Residence a letter from Immigration attesting to my current physical address?

They use the address that you have registered with them. Not sure attesting is the correct word but it verifies the address they have.

• Thanks 1

Well, since TIT, requirements may change depending the phase of the moon or the daily mood of officers. In my case (Yannawa, Bangkok) a translation of my passport was required.

Edited by kotsak
Fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Queue the inevitable discussion about yellow book and pink ID being useless, the usual rubbish about cant travel with a pink ID.

Or maybe Thaivisa members are mellowing in their old age, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Malawi said:

A question that is impossible for anyone here to answer.

Go and ask at the Amphur you will be using.

Yes, the process for the Amphur you live in has it's own way of following the actual rules written. This is not a one day deal. First and foremost is you and wife go to Amphur and the supervisor/staff will give you details for the paperwork required. Then you might spend the next few days getting the correct documents needed. When all of that is completed a return to the Amphur offices and possibly (as in my case) a trip to see our village headman for a interview and his approval signature and then back to the amphur for the final signing and presentation of yellow book. After getting the book you can then get a pink ID if you want one

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Maybe your post is correct for where you live, but totally wrong for where i live.

MYSELF AND MY WIFE went into our local Amphur office.

Asked for passport, details of my parents, which my wife and Amphur boss translated together, wifes details, her house book, job done/ finished in 30 minutes, we walked out with my yellow book, easy, very easy.

Like everything posted on TV there is no simple answer and I was not trying to say everyone will have a multiple day affair which you wasted no time pointing out,,,,,,,,,hence my first sentence saying a trip to the amphur to ask what the process is and in your case a simple one at that,,,,,,again the local folks are interpreting the rules the way that works for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

Other than my passport and little passport photos, what should I take?

I've been living here as a single for 8 years, in my own condo, on a Non-Imm O retirement extension. I got my yellow book last year, I wrote about it in this forum before. In my case, at the municipality of Nakhon Ratchasima Nai Mueang subdistrict, they requested:

- Official translation of my passport certified by Thai MFA (original translation and certification)

- Original certificate of residence issued by local Immigration Office within the last 30 calendar days

- Property deed and land register for my condo (I presented the original, they took copies; this can be replaced by the blue book if you have it)

- Translation of my birth certificate by an authorized translation agency, without need of official certification. The reason for this, as explained to me, was that they needed to know how to spell both my parents' name in Thai. I had to contact my family back home to get a scan of the birth certificate e-mailed over here as soon as possible, and I spent 400 THB for the translation from German. Luckily they did not request to see the original birth certificate.

- Two Thai witnesses residing in the same district area who had to go there in person with their ID card, answer questions and sign a written statement declaring that they know me personally since so many years and that I'm actually living here since so many years

- 1 recent full figure photograph of me

- 1 or 2 small size passport photos (I don't remember how many)

- 20 (twenty) THB fee for the booklet

After that, I had to wait about 1 month for the application to be processed and approved, which happened smoothly without hassles and without any further cost. But other expats I know, in other districts of my same province, had a totally different experience. I know personally one who was requested to present only a minimal documentation, but who was then kept on hold for months, until he finally passed a good tip under the table to the officer in charge. That happened several years ago in another district.

Finally, after you finally get your yellow book, don't forget to apply also for the Thai ID card for foreigners while at it. In my case it was done quickly on the spot and free of charge.

Edited by Camillof
  • Like 2

I am in Pattaya. I had an agent do my yellow book application at a cost of 2,000 baht. Only extra was a certified copy of my passport (maybe 1,000 baht..can't remember). I gave her any stuff she required and one week later I had my Yellow Book. I did not have to go to the Amphur. So for me this was a good way to go. 

The Pink card afterwards was a one hour job at Banglamung. 

When I got mine all that was needed was wifes Tabien Baan and ID card and most importantly marriage certificate translated to Thai if in other language. I also got a Thai ID card same time it’s a pink card. But if varies from office to office same as Immigration stamp requirements so as some have said best to check day before.May need a Moo boss to sign.

Edited by Silent Number

I asked wife about getting, of course she knew nothing but says 'I ask Father.'  Couple days later she out of blue says 'Father say yellow book for you good idea.'  So she and FIL went down to amphur, asked around, figured out what was needed.

I took my passport to town for a translation.  Few days later with translation in hand and whatever she learned was needed, we all go down to amphur, village honcho and his deputy met us there.  I sat in chair holding baby for about 30 minute while all the others were attending to business at the counter (we were only ones there).  After about 30 min they call me to counter, signature couple times and wife says 'finish Tilak' so out the front door we all go.  In car I ask what's up she says 'finish, come back 2 week pick up yellow book.'  So that was it.  Went back, they ask wife to read all to insure correct.  Then ask her if I want ID card.  We say sure so step to next window for photo, wait 15 minutes and out door with yellow book and pink ID.

I say mine was really easy, but I have no idea what FIL, wife and village honcho had to do for my successful result.

And ignore the grumpy "it's useless" crowd.  I don't have to go to immigration to get address validation.  That alone is worth effort for me.

YMMV

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, hereforgood said:

Was going to have my Lawyer take care of this for me till I found out that having one means very little and he suggested not bothering. 

If you are here for good it does make sense,if you buy or sell vehicles,extend your Dl

or do other things that require having proof of address.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, MartinL said:

It seems entirely arbitrary. In Amphur Muang Khon Kaen, they DIDN'T want the passport things but here in Phon, same province, 80-odd km. away, they did and wouldn't budge on that.

Yup same phon experience, translated passport, witness/reference person, parents names and more. It has been helpful for drivers licenses, banks and immigration a few times over the years which makes me think it was worth it. 

• Like 1

I went today and took the following:

Wife (with her blue book),

Woman who owns the residence where I would indicate my address (with her blue book),

Passport (plus a copy of same),

Passport photos, 

U.S. ID (plus a copy of same),

Marriage certificate (from U.S. but with a Thai translation copy).

They said that was all fine other than they want an official Thai translation of my passport copy. So, will get that and return.