Yellow Book Question

23 hours ago, hereforgood said:

Was going to have my Lawyer take care of this for me till I found out that having one means very little and he suggested not bothering. 

But w/out the Yellow Book ???? you can't obtain the Pink Card ???? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

I asked wife about getting, of course she knew nothing but says 'I ask Father.'  Couple days later she out of blue says 'Father say yellow book for you good idea.'  So she and FIL went down to amphur, asked around, figured out what was needed.

I took my passport to town for a translation.  Few days later with translation in hand and whatever she learned was needed, we all go down to amphur, village honcho and his deputy met us there.  I sat in chair holding baby for about 30 minute while all the others were attending to business at the counter (we were only ones there).  After about 30 min they call me to counter, signature couple times and wife says 'finish Tilak' so out the front door we all go.  In car I ask what's up she says 'finish, come back 2 week pick up yellow book.'  So that was it.  Went back, they ask wife to read all to insure correct.  Then ask her if I want ID card.  We say sure so step to next window for photo, wait 15 minutes and out door with yellow book and pink ID.

I say mine was really easy, but I have no idea what FIL, wife and village honcho had to do for my successful result.

And ignore the grumpy "it's useless" crowd.  I don't have to go to immigration to get address validation.  That alone is worth effort for me.

YMMV

Similar experience.

About  5 or  6 years back my wife was encouraging me to go and obtain  this yellow book. At that time it did not require any certificate of residence issued by  Immigration because up until that time the Amphur could issue such a document as did even many years earlier as a Bangkok Bank requirement to open an account. I saw no genuine advantage so I took no action until early this  year. That required a visit to Immigration.

With my wife present I supplied my passport, marriage certificate and translation of, wife's ID card, Immigration residency document,and copies of all of those.

The process took about 1 hour. Most of that was due to the amount of time the person doing it was pedantic in entering all details , checking, doubting, checking, confirming with my wife, checking until eventually printing out the yellow book. Another  25 minutes to go through next process  to get  the pink ID card. Most of that time was due to a frantic search for a pack of blank pink cards eventually  found  buried under a stack of the standard Thai citizen ones.

It dawned  on me afterwards  that because both the  yellow book and the  pink card are completely printed in Thai that the person who appeared to be pedantic was maybe actually a little paranoid about making a translation mistake of my name because  that is what he repeatedly asked  my wife about. I am not sure why he did not simply use what is on the Thai  marriage certificate.

However that might explain why many report here that certified translations are required of passports etc ?

It has always amused me that my Bangkok Bank account name spelling is quite incorrect since day 1 and never has that been noted even when at times an obligatory copy of my passport has been required for some banking procedures. It has only been a small inconvenience in terms of  inter banking transfers to remember to use the incorrect spelling on my Thai receiving account. lol

16 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

However that might explain why many report here that certified translations are required of passports etc ?

The official translation of your name is what they want. Moreover the official translation of your name on your passport should match any other official translation you're using to prove residence such as that on the Chanote. Thing to do is ask the translator of your passport, before that translation is officially approved, to match the previous translation. (Your name can likely be translated several ways in Thai. I have several different translations scattered around on various documents.)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, couchpotato said:

I am in Pattaya. I had an agent do my yellow book application at a cost of 2,000 baht. Only extra was a certified copy of my passport (maybe 1,000 baht..can't remember). I gave her any stuff she required and one week later I had my Yellow Book. I did not have to go to the Amphur. So for me this was a good way to go. 

The Pink card afterwards was a one hour job at Banglamung. 

Which agent did you use.

53 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The official translation of your name is what they want. Moreover the official translation of your name on your passport should match any other official translation you're using to prove residence such as that on the Chanote. Thing to do is ask the translator of your passport, before that translation is officially approved, to match the previous translation. (Your name can likely be translated several ways in Thai. I have several different translations scattered around on various documents.)

Agree. That is why I thought that it would have been easier and  faster  to use the Marriage  Certificate version as already there. But  maybe he had doubts about the accuracy? I don't know, can't read Thai.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:43 AM, Mama Noodle said:

Marriage certificate, wife blue book/ID card among other things. 

But the end of the day getting a yellow book varies widely from amphor to amphor so the only way to do it would be to prepare yourself for the run around nonsense and go there and ask. 

My first one was easy enough, just alot of running around. When we sold our old house and bought a new one, I didn't even do anything to change the Yellow book, the wife just went there and took care of it. 

Why Marriage Certificate you don't have to be married to get a yellow tabien ban. 

5 minutes ago, fourpack said:

Why Marriage Certificate you don't have to be married to get a yellow tabien ban. 

One poster on here has stated that he was refused a yellow book because he wasn’t married ( Phitsanulock I believe ).

My Amphur required a certified copy of my passport, birth certificate and decree nisi!!

On 5/22/2020 at 7:49 AM, MartinL said:

Depends on the requirements of YOUR local Amphur or Tessaban office.

Attached is list FOR MY LOCAL TESSABAN, from a few years ago - yours might be entirely different. 

Check with them first.

Docs. for Yellow Book.pdf 313.2 kB · 19 downloads

Much the same required from Hua Hin.  They need a certified translation if your name into Thai.

They are worse than Thai Immigration. Each office and sometimes the person at the desk, make up their own rules. 

In the Nongpure office, a few years ago, the lady demanded I have a 90 Day report in my passport, because some others had it. I tried to explain to her that I travelled in and out of Thailand every 2-3 weeks and did not need to do 90 day reports. She got anger and said she would not process the application without it.

I then went to the Jomtien Immigration office and they just laughed and said, not needed. Ended up doing a TM30 and bring that back to her. She was then happy.

So as others have said just go in and let them decide what else they may want. Best to take a happy drug first. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

One poster on here has stated that he was refused a yellow book because he wasn’t married ( Phitsanulock I believe ).

My Amphur required a certified copy of my passport, birth certificate and decree nisi!!

I know many who are single with yellow book for rented condos. First book I got was when I was single. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

And of course their is no such requirement mentioned in the Civil Registration Act, but these Government officials are free to set the bar at their personal whim.

A friend of mine had the same issue at a different Amphoe, in the same Province.

First he needed to be married, two years later he was, but then he needed to own property, which they were building. On completion, he then wanted his Passport translating and legalising by the MFA.

Even then he was refused again requiring a copy of his birth certificate translated and legalised by the MFA as proof of his parents names (he refused to accept his affidavit for marriage, which he'd already accepted once when they married).

Frustrated he complained to the Provincial office.

They suggested they registered him on my Yellow book as living at my address.

Then 3 weeks later (as if he was now moving) return and have him removed from my book and they'd issue a form for him to present to his own Amphoe.

Because he'd already been registered in one book, the procedure was different just to obtain a new book in a different Amphoe. Worked a treat, no questions asked.

So there's always more than one way to circumvent the system.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, fourpack said:

I know many who are single with yellow book for rented condos. First book I got was when I was single. 

Wasn’t doubting that single guys can get the yellow book too, depending on the Amphur.

My example was of someone who was refused because he was single.

In a nutshell, different rules at different Amphur’s.

The OP is gonna get plenty of advice on this thread but unless it relates to his Amphur it is not guaranteed to work for him.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:31 AM, JCP108 said:

Other than my passport and little passport photos, what should I take?

It's really depending of where you live – some places it's very easy; other places numerous documents are needed, plus interview and two witnesses – check with the tessa ban first.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, hereforgood said:

Was going to have my Lawyer take care of this for me till I found out that having one means very little and he suggested not bothering. 

I have found the same, a total waste of time in my case.  The requirements from our amphor were over the top, translated passport, certified, blah blah,  Everywhere I have been, doing normal business, banking, visa, drivers lic etc, I always asked if the yellow book is required or would help, I always got the same answer, no not want or not help????  I never bothered and have been here 17 years without one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I have found the same, a total waste of time in my case.  The requirements from our amphor were over the top, translated passport, certified, blah blah,  Everywhere I have been, doing normal business, banking, visa, drivers lic etc, I always asked if the yellow book is required or would help, I always got the same answer, no not want or not help????  I never bothered and have been here 17 years without one.

Agree to a point, but have found my Pink ID card very helpful in the past few years, and of course you must have the Yellow Book first, to obtain the Pink ID card.

Also the yellow book and pink ID card are accepted by immigration for your address purposes if extending retirement or marriage.

But of course each to his own thinking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

Don't forget your money.555555

Only for Immigration who pinged me 500Baht.

The yellow book was free and the  pink card  cost  60 Baht. My wife was  a bit disgusted because she  had  been charged  100 Baht for a new  card  some months  before !  555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My passport, wife's Blue Book, 2600 ThB ( no receipt ).

Got Yellow Book, Pink I.D. Card, plastic to put IDCard in.

At Nongprue, last year.

Not used the Yellow Book or IDCard yet.

Addendum :

I am 2 cm taller than I was 20 years ago in Belgium, despite measuring taken barefoot here.  

Edited by luckyluke
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:08 AM, 86Tiger said:

And ignore the grumpy "it's useless" crowd.  I don't have to go to immigration to get address validation. 

Never went to immigration for anything in my life. Have drivers license, bought and sold cars and motorcycle.  Don't have yellow or pink card becuase never felt the need of it. If needed, I will ask my agent. My agent does every thing, incuding buying/selling cars, extension, driver's license, etc. It is called the power of money which I worked hard to earn it and now putting it to good use. Of course some people want to do all these themselves for the sake of doing it and to save a few bucks. 

Edited by Mulambana

7 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Never went to immigration for anything in my life. Have drivers license, bought and sold cars and motorcycle.  Don't have yellow or pink card becuase never felt the need of it. If needed, I will ask my agent. My agent does every thing, incuding buying/selling cars, extension, driver's license, etc. It is called the power of money which I worked hard to earn it and now putting it to good use. Of course some people want to do all these themselves for the sake of doing it and to save a few bucks. 

Please PM me the "drivers license" agent.  Curious if it's worth the time-savings.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Oh, technically you don't absolutely need it. And this is THE objection from the brigade who never do anything not absolutely necessary, just eat, drink, sleep, and have bowel movements. And good on 'em. I still like having mine, however, and I do use it for ID sometimes.

So then, for example, does your agent deposit and withdraw money for you over the counter at the bank? You need a quick 5K for a little shopping, just call your agent and he brings it? And you want to mail a package or pick up a package at the PO. You call your agent and he does it for you? 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:54 AM, ubonjoe said:

The correct name is a certificate of residency issued by a immigration office. The same certificate is needed to get a driver's license or register a car.

Whereas I humbly bow to Ubonjoe's superior knowledge on most things, when I applied for my yellow book in Wiang Chai, Chiang Rai a few years ago, I was required to provide the following:  1. A wife and accompanying a marriage certificate.  2. Wife's blue book and Thai I.D.  3. Village Chief to confirm I lived/stayed there.  4.  A second known reliable reference.  5. My passport showing visa stamp.  6.  Contribution to Buddhist money tree placed before my on the counter with a ????; to which my wife objected because she's a Christian.

No mention was made of "Certificate of Residence" for either my yellow book application or drivers licence, for which I has one for car and one for motor cycle.

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

you don't absolutely need it. And this is THE objection from the brigade who never do anything not absolutely necessary,

We all have our own level of what we want to do by our own, and what we want to delegate, usually at a price.

The costs are also relative, for one it is too cheap to delegate than to do itself, for another he prefer to do it himself as he consider the price to delegate as too high.

At 71+, and after 15+ extensions based on income, I should like to find someone who goes with my documents to the Austrian Consulate and Immigration Jomtien in my place. 

• Like 1

Go to Aumpher ,,,ask the req's . Go back next week to find they now want additional/different stuff !

Often works for Immigration also.

ps ,MFA in Ubon wanted me to "guarantee my passport was genuine" ie via British Embassy BKK, before they would consider endorsing passport copies.

Surprisingly. I do not have a yellow book!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Of course you can get by without a yellow book/ID card even for 17 years. You can get all the documents together every time for 'normal business, banking, visa, drivers lic etc'........but getting a yellow book/ID card means CONVENIENCE. Compliance in providing the correct documents to get your yellow book is a 'one off' and is not that much more complex than doing your annual extension/driving licence, etc, and after that everything is so much simpler when using your the yellow book/ID card for all your future applications...........even if you stay for another 17 years.

Is it vital you have a yellow book/ID card ...........NO

Is it quicker, easier and much more convenient to use a yellow book/ID card every time ...........MOST DEFINITELY.

• Like 2