British teacher is arrested for 'sexually assaulting' two girls aged 13 and 17 in Cambodia

geovalin

• Matthew Watkin, 37, from Shrewsbury, was teaching English in Siem Reap 
  • Detained yesterday after a mother alleged he abused her two girls, 13 and 17
  • Watkin allegedly told the police that he kissed the two girls goodnight

A British teacher has been arrested in Cambodia after allegedly sexually assaulting two teenage girls. Matthew William Watkin, 37, from Shrewsbury, had been teaching English to children in Siem Reap province for several months before he was detained yesterday.

The mother of the two girls, aged 13 and 17, complained to the police on Monday that the Brit had abused her daughters. She said that the children were relatives of Mr Watkin's wife and they were staying the night at his property.

read more https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8343117/British-teacher-arrested-sexually-assaulting-two-girls-aged-13-17-Cambodia.html

• Sad 2

Sounds like just a peck on the cheek to me, hardly sexual assault with his wife in the house, but now, in a world where telling your secretary she looks good constitutes sexual assault, one can only feel like some of the laws have gone crazy. All such crimes will become things of the past when "social distancing" will prevent us from coming within a few metre of anyone ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Sounds like just a peck on the cheek to me, hardly sexual assault with his wife in the house, but now, in a world where telling your secretary she looks good constitutes sexual assault, one can only feel like some of the laws have gone crazy. All such crimes will become things of the past when "social distancing" will prevent us from coming within a few metre of anyone ????

Sadly the won't become a thing of the past. The contradiction is in your prose. Simply telling someone something, which can happen from more than 2 metres apart will still constitute a crime in some politically correct anti-male societies.

9 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

the nationality and profession are irrelevant.

The farthest thing from the truth.  He has been teaching children. There well may be additional victims out there that he molested who were his students.  Good they made clear who he is with his photo posted.

• Sad 2

I don't want to let a sexual preditor off the hook, but I hope everything is " unearthed" in this investigation. I was working over in Siem Reap last year( University students), and I found some of the people to be quite "shifty" when dealing with foreigners. 

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Social distancing doesn't protect you from loss of job or a civil suit for 'leering' or 'ogling'.

2 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Why does this man feel the need to kiss someone else's children goodnight?

And how does his stubble rub on their face when he claims to kiss them on the

forehead?

And people saying that everything was above board because his Cambodian wife was

in the building is not valid in my opinion.

No one reading this story, including myself, knows the truth, but the majority of posters

seem to think this is some kind of honey trap,again without any hard facts.

Yes, some people are very naive with very odd responses whenever this type topic comes up.

I always find it interesting how many support the alledged abuser on these posts.   Hmmm..makes me wonder..

They seem clueless about the historical/documented cases as to how many pedophiles come to Thailand, Cambodia to seek victims.   A 37 year old single man goes to Cambodia to teach children?  I guess some believe there are no child molesters in this world?  They support one side but never seem to ask:  I hope the victims are doing OK.

Whatever, believe what you want.  So, if you have kids and they report something similar you going to call them liars?  Very very sad and kind of sick really. 

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

Both girls obviously felt strongly enough about whatever happened to mention it to the mother.  They are old enough to be interviewed and give a version to the police, which presumably has taken place and forms the basis of the charge.  Perfectly normal that their version is not reported to respect their privacy.

• Like 1

We don't know details, but in my opinion, a man shall never kiss minors – including teenagers – good night, nor anytime else, if it's not a very close relative, where for example a good knight kiss is already normal practice.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, androokery said:

I have no idea what happened here, and didn't follow the link, but don't British males kiss/peck female acquaintances and friends on the cheek for hello and goodbye? 

Apparently only if they "want to be in my gang, my gang. my gang.".

Edited by VocalNeal

Mr Watkin allegedly told the police that he kissed the two girls goodnight and his stubble rubbed against their faces. He denied sexually assaulting them.

"Stubble rubbed against their faces, seriously? You'd think a perv would have better imagination.

Edited by Why Me

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The headline is again click bait. British teacher .............. suggesting he was molesting pupils. When you read it, the nationality and profession are irrelevant.

Man accused of molesting wife's young female relatives would be more accurate.

Will be interesting to see where this one goes.

Yes exactly! 

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have no idea what the truth of this is.

But it is hardly normal for a grown man to kiss 13 and 1`7 year old girls who are not his daughters good night.

Especially when there is only 10 years age difference between them.

"the children were relatives of Mr Watkin's wife" - so no strangers. I don't know how you grew up but where I come from it was quite normal to hug and kiss not just your own children, but also nieces / nephews, members of the extended family.

Also the age difference is about 20 years and not "only 10 years".

And what happened to the "Presumption of innocence"? Every civilized country should honor it. And even if the  dailymail is ignoring the English common law, happy about another sensation, TVF should do the ethical thing and at least take the name of the accused out.

In case "Presumption of innocence" is unknown:

The presumption of innocence is the legal principle that one is considered innocent until proven guilty.

In many countries, the presumption of innocence is a legal right of the accused in a criminal trial, and it is an international human right under the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 11. Under the presumption of innocence, the legal burden of proof is thus on the prosecution, which must present compelling evidence to the trier of fact (a judge or a jury). The prosecution must in most cases prove that the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. If reasonable doubt remains, the accused must be acquitted.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

If he is guilty, the court will certainly take care of him (Cambodia's jails are no luxury hotels), and then you can shame him if you like - but until then he might very well not be guilty, therefore don't destroy a life for a sensation.

Edited by yuyiinthesky