Just got an email from Emirates-- flying sounds horrible

On 5/22/2020 at 10:54 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Similar to my repatriation flight with Emirates.

1)    Had to wear FaceMask and Gloves (as soon as I was on the plane I took off the gloves and just used hand sanitizer regularly)

2)    There was no online check-in, but surely this would speed things up at Check-in?

3)    Arrive 4 hours early? <deleted>? That’s insane, I only ever arrived 1hr 30mins early for my 6 hr flights !

4)    No hand-luggage – I think they may mean, lap-top bags and handbags only (no one is going to be putting their lap tops, iPads etc in checked in baggage)

5)    Thermal Screening and Covid-19 tests – that’s fine, excellent in fact.

6)    Maintain Social Distancing: Impossible unless flights are only flying at 25% capacity (or less) which means they are unprofitable.

I think in future we will just see things go back to normal with the FaceMask requirement and pre-flight Thermal Scanning and possibly Covid-19 checks. Anything more than this is untenable.

Repatriation? When was this? Are you Thai or have citizenship?

On 5/22/2020 at 5:45 AM, Canuck1966 said:

There has just been a 20 minute test developed in the UK

Surely they can use something like that?

There is a reliable 10 minute test in Germany already.....Bosch....

26 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Better if you have read this thread before posting that

Yes, one must remember to read every single post of every thread before posting anything!  ????????

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 4:48 AM, Creasy said:

The gift that keeps on giving thanks to the CCP.

Thanks to Capitalism.

Without the wealth that they gained through joining the money-go-round, which was much to the delight of Western capitalist countries, who optimistically (and falsely) believed that China would become more like "us" as a consequence (ie less totalitarian/more democratic), they would not have been able to afford holidays in Thailand and elsewhere.

Previously, when SARS appeared (and god knows what else that we didn't get to hear about), they were not able to travel in huge numbers and spread it.

Had COVID-19 appeared, with China still in its pre-"Totalitarian Capitalist" form, it would not have been gifted to the world at large.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 7:41 PM, steven100 said:

seen those pics last week .... unfortunately, this will likely be the normal procedure for flying.

you can thank CH for that.

Lets not tap dance around it Chan-O  CH=CHINA!????????️????

On 5/22/2020 at 3:56 AM, Peter Denis said:

No hand luggage?

I would be very hesitant to put my laptop-computer in my suitcase as checked baggage.

Even with a FRAGILE sticker on the suitcase I would be worried whether it would survive the often rough airplane luggage-treatment.

Laptops not allowed in Hold Luggage not unless you remove the battery. Then again no hand luggage so where do you put the battery likewise mobile phones tablets etc.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Laptops not allowed in Hold Luggage not unless you remove the battery. Then again no hand luggage so where do you put the battery likewise mobile phones tablets etc.

In the cabin in your allowed briefcase.  Along with your laptop.

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

In the cabin in your allowed briefcase.  Along with your laptop.

Item 4, no hand baggage, Emirates hand baggage policy is 1 bag not weighing more tha 7k. which is any sort of bag I wold think.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:43 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Some airlines will make it so "difficult" for passengers that people will fly less and less.

That's where I am with all this.  Perfectly happy never boarding an aircraft again.  Even with all its faults, I feel lucky to be "stuck" in Thailand.

Edited by Kelsall

On 5/22/2020 at 10:35 AM, SidJames said:

Commercial aircraft have the best air filter systems going.

It's always been a myth that the air is poor up there & one person will infect a whole aircraft if unwell

One person can but that would be down to very poor personal hygiene & practice otherwise the crew would be constantly getting ill.

May I ask you for a reference for that? If recycled cabin air is not a vector for infection, it's certainly become a powerful public myth.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 3:41 AM, steven100 said:

seen those pics last week .... unfortunately, this will likely be the normal procedure for flying.

you can thank CH for that.

What have the Swiss got to do with this?

Edited by shy coconut
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 11:18 AM, DaLa said:

Personally I'm not too concerned about the no hand luggage. We ( Thai wife ) and I travel back for business and have everything we need here and in the UK without lugging gear around the world.

And, of course, you can carry your medications in a butt tube. Not sure about your reading glasses....

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Item 4, no hand baggage, Emirates hand baggage policy is 1 bag not weighing more tha 7k. which is any sort of bag I wold think.

From EK website....

What are the items allowed in the cabin?

Cabin baggage will not be accepted on these flights. Items allowed will be limited to laptop, handbag, briefcase or baby items; any other items will have to be checked in.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

From EK website....

Cabin baggage will not be accepted on these flights. Items allowed will be limited to laptop, handbag, briefcase or baby items; any other items will have to be checked in.

I have flown with Emirates several times a year over the last 5/6 years from Newcastle to BKK. What Emirates are saying is contradictory. Cabin Baggage is 1 item limited to 7kg no matter what the item is, in fact at Newcastle they weigh you Cabin Baggage, the check in desks are not operated by Emirates. They are a bit lax at BKK,  the check in desk are staffed by Emirates staff, passengers take more than they should but none of the Emirates staff ever stop them boarding.

7 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I have flown with Emirates several times a year over the last 5/6 years from Newcastle to BKK. What Emirates are saying is contradictory. Cabin Baggage is 1 item limited to 7kg no matter what the item is, in fact at Newcastle they weigh you Cabin Baggage, the check in desks are not operated by Emirates. They are a bit lax at BKK,  the check in desk are staffed by Emirates staff, passengers take more than they should but none of the Emirates staff ever stop them boarding.

Definitely contradictory.  Presumably for some reason they are trying to limit the wheelie bags people drag on and cram in the overhead bins.  

3 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

May I ask you for a reference for that? If recycled cabin air is not a vector for infection, it's certainly become a powerful public myth.

They use the same filters as hospitals and other sensitive locations.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/air-quality-during-your-flight-54164

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/air-travel-advice#

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/air-travel-still-seen-safe-coronavirus-fears-spread/

etc. etc. etc. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Definitely contradictory.  Presumably for some reason they are trying to limit the wheelie bags people drag on and cram in the overhead bins.  

You wouldn’t get past the check in desk at Newcastle with the wheelie bags on the flight to Dubai, at every Emirates check in desk it quite clearly states what your hand baggage allowance is. 1 bag not weighing more than 7kg,For reason only Newcastle adhere to this, Dubai and BKK don’t even ask about your hand baggage maybe they don’t want confrontation.

Everything about it is propped up. There is no demand. Prices should be very low. There are empty planes and even ghost flights. Yet most flights I look at are prices the same. It is because of this too big to fail philosophy. If the airline economy was actually real prices would be dirt cheap right now. 

2 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Everything about it is propped up. There is no demand. Prices should be very low. There are empty planes and even ghost flights. Yet most flights I look at are prices the same. It is because of this too big to fail philosophy. If the airline economy was actually real prices would be dirt cheap right now. 

As and when flights restart they could be half full due to the recommended social distancing meaning prices won’t come down.

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

From EK website....

That's a large rucksack to some.