TAT’s language training prepares Thai tourism personnel ready for post-COVID-19 era

webfact

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to the TAT’s survey of tourist guides’ training needs for the year 2020, it found that tour guides were interested in training in Spanish, second only to Mandarin, in addition to Portuguese which ranked sixth.

@JCP108

2 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

Mongolian sounds good to me, it can't be worse than the other options chosen by this clever government.

Throw in some free classes of Mongolian "throat singing" for the "sanook factor"!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Portugal and Spain - not known as countries whose citizens flock overseas in large numbers as tourists.

That leaves South America. Not packed with rich, affluent elite tourists looking for an overseas place to flock too.

Good choices!

Drug cartels might be interested... apparently they're good tippers!

15 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Portuguese cannot be read like it as Spanish; there are specific tones and nasal movements and sounds that go along with the vowels. Good luck, Thailand. Gotta master Engrisheee firtd!

Years ago dated a Brazilian woman....hallf the time on the phone with family it sounded like she was speaking Russian, lots of hard S's and K's also. Crazy language

On 5/22/2020 at 7:28 PM, ChipButty said:

I dont see the point how many Spanish tourist come to Thailand? Most Spanish people I know speak a da English anyway

I had many bachelor and masters students from Spain in exchange programs in Bkk. They all had very advanced / native speaker capabilities in all aspects of English, Same as the German students. These countries focus on English development seriously using clever and very productive teaching/learning methods and materials from kinder. I had several Spanish and German students tell me it's national policy that they are fully capable of all 4 English skills by the end of 3rd year of Primary school. And it works.

Same goal and the methods/systems/resources to make it happen would be good in Thailand for English and several more languages. Unfortunately this format not going to happen anytime soon.