Not wearing a mask: Lottery seller attacks "jobsworth" with a coffee cup

webfact

Not wearing a mask: Lottery seller attacks "jobsworth" with a coffee cup

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A municipal worker who is part of a team touring markets in Suphanburi as part of Covid-19 restrictions went to the police yesterday.

He said that a lottery seller called Chaloey, 59, attacked him with a coffee cup after he said he should be wearing a mask.

Sarot, 41, said he had warned Chaloey before.

He told Derm Bang Nang Buat police that as he toured a market the older man pointed at him as passed. The suspect was drinking a coffee in a market shop.

He yelled that he was a jobsworth who was power crazy and had threatened to have him arrested and thrown in jail for not wearing a mask.

As Sarot went over to reiterate the mask wearing policy Chaloey emerged from the shop holding the cup full of hot coffee. 

He then broke it over the side of his head causing a lot of blood. The wound needed two stitches.

5pm2.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Later a less than contrite Chaloey - still not wearing a mask - told the police that the official had overstepped his authority.

It was ridiculous that he was being threatened with jail for simply not wearing a mask.

He was charged with assault, assault of a civil servant doing their duty and a charge related to not following the rules about the pandemic.

Sarot said that most members of the public and the traders in the markets understood the reasons for the rules, but there were some who just would not listen and had to be constantly reminded.

Sarot's municipal boss visited him with a presentation basket saying that it was important that the public listen to officials and cooperate.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-22

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

In his defense, it is really difficult drinking a cup of coffee while wearing a mask, regardless to what he had done before.

Jobworths should, IMO, use a certain amount of common sense when confronting people like this.

Did you actually read the article?

If so you'll see the idiot instigated a confrontation and then smashed his cup over the officers head.

Hard to see where the officer didn't use common sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Did you actually read the article?

If so you'll see the idiot instigated a confrontation and then smashed his cup over the officers head.

Hard to see where the officer didn't use common sense.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

In his defense, it is really difficult drinking a cup of coffee while wearing a mask, regardless to what he had done before.

Jobworths should, IMO, use a certain amount of common sense when confronting people like this.

Was the guy just a naturally angry person? Possibly.

Was he angered by over reaction by the official? Again possibly.

If, hypothetically, I was in the official's shoes, I would have not been inside the radius of the thrown contents of the coffee mug let alone the swing radius of the cup itself. Dare I say it, I would have used common sense.

But just to clarify, regardless of what happened prior to the incident, the attacker was in the wrong and deservedly needed to be punished for it.

Peace...................:thumbsup:  

Edit: @Baerboxer, apols, I don't know what I did, but your name is in the second quote box (that was my original quote). Don't know how to change that.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, eddiebat said:

Yes the Official thug should be jailed for six months there's no Law on any statute book in Thailand that say a person has to wear a mask in public...if you have a law post it here and show everyone. The officials are overstepping the powers and Kudos to the guy for doing what he did perhaps other like minded power hungry officials will think twice before intimidating members of the Public show me the Lawwwwww

New regulations have been posted and depending on which province you're in anyone Thai/Farang not wearing a mask in public can be fined or jailed or both  for not wearing a mask.  Fine ranges from up to 20,000 baht to up to 100,000 baht in Chonburi/Pattaya. The US Embassy web site also has posted that all it's citizens in Thailand are required to wear masks in public. 

92703870_10220504036244340_9056732408191123456_n.jpg.c6b726a70d738aa029a46dc7a9f875b3.jpg

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Read the OP carefully and see what the idiot violent assaulter has been charged with.

Sedition ?  Acts against the state? Government taking the <deleted>, wear the mask while drinking coffee. 

jesus wept that 2nd picture is worth a thousand words. 

ok hold your head in shame. no lower than that show more respect. ok great. now i'll point at you in disgust. here we go. say cheese. 

*sigh*

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Yep, kick him in the boll-cks before he has chance with the cup, then put his mask on.

later go back and explain the error of his ways with an action replay, he may well not wear his mask but be sure he will put it on when he sees you coming

Good reason to bring in online ticket sales.

3 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Mask.jpg

Seriously? after all the threads, news articles, discussions and comments you still remain oblivious as to why it is recommend we wear these masks during a pandemic?

Clue: Its not for your own protection.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

It was ridiculous that he was being threatened with jail for simply not wearing a mask.

He was charged with assault, assault of a civil servant doing their duty and a charge related to not following the rules about the pandemic.

Maybe now with the extra charges tagged on for assault he'll get the message !

19 hours ago, chrisinth said:

How can u drink with a mask on????

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Seriously? after all the threads, news articles, discussions and comments you still remain oblivious as to why it is recommend we wear these masks during a pandemic?

If your sick, and think you've got the damn woohoo flu, stay home.  Why should I wear a mask to protect me from you?  

• Confused 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, eddiebat said:

Yes the Official thug should be jailed for six months there's no Law on any statute book in Thailand that say a person has to wear a mask in public...if you have a law post it here and show everyone. The officials are overstepping the powers and Kudos to the guy for doing what he did perhaps other like minded power hungry officials will think twice before intimidating members of the Public show me the Lawwwwww

Regulations issued under Section 9 of the Emergency Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situations

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/news3-20200329-164122-910029.pdf

image.png.e3c90152f619c9a844daf050f4e601ea.png

Edited by sanmyintmaung
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fart.jpg

• Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 2:50 PM, Baerboxer said:

Read the OP carefully and see what the idiot violent assaulter has been charged with.

show me the laws that state that an official has the right to intimidate a member of the public to force wear a mask.

I'm well aware of the assault charge it was in response to unlawful intimidation by a power hungry official and not for the first time.

So he got what was coming to him. Now please show me the Laws that it is mandatory to wear a mask and don't be side stepping the issue show me the proof by posting the law, in Thai will do I can read Thai. 

• Like 2

You can put anything into an Emergency Decree that doesn't mean its Lawful. And the word SHALL is very different from WILL MUST or Mandatory. 

shall
[ʃal, ʃ(ə)l]

VERB
  1. (in the first person) expressing the future tense.
    "this time next week I shall be in Scotland" · "we shan't be gone long"

2. expressing a strong assertion or intention.
    "they shall succeed" ·
    "you shall not frighten me out of this"
  3. expressing an instruction, command, or obligation.
    "every employer shall take all practicable steps to ensure the safety of employees" · "you shall not steal"

4. used in questions indicating offers or suggestions. 

Shall is NOT a Lawful Order it is an Expression. 

must-
    [must-]

COMBININGFORM
    1. used to form adjectives and nouns denoting things that are essential or highly recommended.
      "a must-visit destination" ·
      [more]

mandatory
      [ˈmandət(ə)ri]

ADJECTIVE
      1. required by law or mandate; compulsory.
        "wearing helmets was made mandatory for pedal cyclists"
        synonyms:

Mandatory means by Law

Did you see the word Mandatory in the in the Emergency Decree?

Correct Nor did I see the word Mandatory

So the Thug Official had no right whatsoever to intimidate the poor old lottery seller by LAW.
        If I was the seller I would Lawyer up Quick
        Rights Infringed and Violated by Thug Official
        UN Human Rights
        Thai Constitutional Rights
        Criminal Violations
        Physical and Psychological Intimidation
        Harassment by a Govt Official
        False arrest by trying to detain him
        etc etc

And your Defence  (Shall) Ha

Edited by eddiebat

Yes the Official thug should be jailed for six months there's no Law on any statute book in Thailand that say a person has to wear a mask in public...if you have a law post it here and show everyone.

Under the emergency decree powers provincial governors can introduce laws like  this.

13 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

If your sick, and think you've got the damn woohoo flu, stay home.  Why should I wear a mask to protect me from you?  

We are not asking you to wear a mask to protect yourself. We are asking you to wear a mask to protect us in case you are infectious, which you can be without even knowing it. Google asymptomatic.

Tell me , would you be happy to be wheeled into an operating theatre for surgery, where all the medical staff wore street clothes and no surgical masks? Same principle.

• Thanks 1

I wear a mask as I don't want to take the risk to pay a fine.

I do everything my Immigration Officer tell me to do to get my extension, as I don't want not to get an extension.

I abide to everything here in Thailand and that since 2000.

Maybe one day too much will be too much, and I will book a one-way ticket. 

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 2

The law is called  State of  Emergency look it up replaces statutes.