BANGKOK
webfact

Not wearing a mask: Lottery seller attacks "jobsworth" with a coffee cup

Not wearing a mask: Lottery seller attacks "jobsworth" with a coffee cup

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A municipal worker who is part of a team touring markets in Suphanburi as part of Covid-19 restrictions went to the police yesterday.

He said that a lottery seller called Chaloey, 59, attacked him with a coffee cup after he said he should be wearing a mask.

Sarot, 41, said he had warned Chaloey before.

He told Derm Bang Nang Buat police that as he toured a market the older man pointed at him as passed. The suspect was drinking a coffee in a market shop.

He yelled that he was a jobsworth who was power crazy and had threatened to have him arrested and thrown in jail for not wearing a mask.

As Sarot went over to reiterate the mask wearing policy Chaloey emerged from the shop holding the cup full of hot coffee. 

He then broke it over the side of his head causing a lot of blood. The wound needed two stitches.

5pm2.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Later a less than contrite Chaloey - still not wearing a mask - told the police that the official had overstepped his authority.

It was ridiculous that he was being threatened with jail for simply not wearing a mask.

He was charged with assault, assault of a civil servant doing their duty and a charge related to not following the rules about the pandemic.

Sarot said that most members of the public and the traders in the markets understood the reasons for the rules, but there were some who just would not listen and had to be constantly reminded.

Sarot's municipal boss visited him with a presentation basket saying that it was important that the public listen to officials and cooperate.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-22

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

In his defense, it is really difficult drinking a cup of coffee while wearing a mask, regardless to what he had done before.

Jobworths should, IMO, use a certain amount of common sense when confronting people like this.

Did you actually read the article?

If so you'll see the idiot instigated a confrontation and then smashed his cup over the officers head.

Hard to see where the officer didn't use common sense.

• Like 1

A bit confused now who is not wearing a mask🤔

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Did you actually read the article?

If so you'll see the idiot instigated a confrontation and then smashed his cup over the officers head.

Hard to see where the officer didn't use common sense.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

In his defense, it is really difficult drinking a cup of coffee while wearing a mask, regardless to what he had done before.

Jobworths should, IMO, use a certain amount of common sense when confronting people like this.

Was the guy just a naturally angry person? Possibly.

Was he angered by over reaction by the official? Again possibly.

If, hypothetically, I was in the official's shoes, I would have not been inside the radius of the thrown contents of the coffee mug let alone the swing radius of the cup itself. Dare I say it, I would have used common sense.

But just to clarify, regardless of what happened prior to the incident, the attacker was in the wrong and deservedly needed to be punished for it.

Peace...................:thumbsup:  

Edit: @Baerboxer, apols, I don't know what I did, but your name is in the second quote box (that was my original quote). Don't know how to change that.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, eddiebat said:

Yes the Official thug should be jailed for six months there's no Law on any statute book in Thailand that say a person has to wear a mask in public...if you have a law post it here and show everyone. The officials are overstepping the powers and Kudos to the guy for doing what he did perhaps other like minded power hungry officials will think twice before intimidating members of the Public show me the Lawwwwww

New regulations have been posted and depending on which province you're in anyone Thai/Farang not wearing a mask in public can be fined or jailed or both  for not wearing a mask.  Fine ranges from up to 20,000 baht to up to 100,000 baht in Chonburi/Pattaya. The US Embassy web site also has posted that all it's citizens in Thailand are required to wear masks in public. 

92703870_10220504036244340_9056732408191123456_n.jpg.c6b726a70d738aa029a46dc7a9f875b3.jpg

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Read the OP carefully and see what the idiot violent assaulter has been charged with.

Sedition ?  Acts against the state? Government taking the <deleted>, wear the mask while drinking coffee.