Border Crossings to Vietnam

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Most people are not allowed to enter Vietnam at this time click Vietnam on the map here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

If you could travel to Vietnam you would not able return to here until after June 30th if they start allowing passenger flights then.

What about the possibility that land borders could open sooner than international flights? Not obviously with regards to Vietnam, but with countries bordering Thailand...

I realise this might not be realistic.

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What about the possibility that land borders could open sooner than international flights? Not obviously with regards to Vietnam, but with countries bordering Thailand...

I would say no chance of it happening.

Laos is not allowing any entries and Cambodia only in certain cases if you have a valid visa.

As far as I know the borders from Laos and Cambodia to Vietnam are also closed

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Laos is not allowing any entries and Cambodia only in certain cases if you have a valid visa.

But taking Vietnam out of the equation completely... I just mean that land borders around Thailand could open before international passenger flights....?

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

ON the contrary, if you have the necessary papers and connections, you would. I did but i'm regretting doing it a week ago.

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I just mean that land borders around Thailand could open before international passenger flights....?

Maybe to the other countries but not Thailand unless it is Thais repatriating.

Why would they open the borders when the airports are not allowing entries.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Maybe to the other countries but not Thailand unless it is Thais repatriating.

Why would they open the borders when the airports are not allowing entries.

I was floating the idea... maybe because the people travelling in from neighbouring countries are considered lower risk than those from Europe etc where death rates have been higher?

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I was floating the idea... maybe because the people travelling in from neighbouring countries are considered lower risk than those from Europe etc where death rates have been higher?

As a Singaporean myself, being in both Thailand or Vietnam has it's previliges, despite the fact that we have the highest numbers of Covid-19 cases in South East Asia. it's how a country handles the pandemic and enforces strict measures on all fronts. Vietnam has done an excellent job so far, but Thailand is struggling at ends and having to pull out all stops, cases are still around.Pockets here and there. 

I totally agree with your point RickG16

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is some indication that this is changing.

https://jclao.com/gradual-reopening-of-intl-borders/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But what if Thailand does not open their border with Laos to allow people to enter.

Indeed; just an indication that things are starting to change, at least from the Laos side.  I would be surprised if a partial opening doesn't happen from June.

1 hour ago, DanangBanaHills57 said:

As the Title explains itself, its the crossing from Thailand to Vietnam

The health ministry has also responded to the increasing number of requests from foreign-invested manufacturers in Việt Nam and local administrations to allow the entries of foreign experts and technicians into the country to ensure production progress, as the country’s border remains tightly shut against foreigners to prevent imported cases. 

In the procedure, the companies with special entry requests make their case to the provincial or municipal authorities – only technicians and experts are allowed, not low skilled workers. Then the local authorities compile and submit the list to the public security ministry, who will discuss the matter with the transport ministry to arrange the flights, while quarantine sites are prepared.

22 hours ago, DanangBanaHills57 said:

Gonna stop short naming location and ppl invloved. It's always a Money thing. 

Don't really need to name location or ppl involved just the way you did it , i mean from thai to where ?? Or from where to thai ?? Or was it just a border run in out , out in ??? 

For reference:-

Certain land border crossings between Cambodia - Thailand and Cambodia - Vietnam are open but for TRADE only. Commercial vehicles carrying supplies are allowed (with all the necessary paperwork) but travelers/tourists ARE NOT. There is an arrangement between Thailand and Cambodia for persons seeking medical attention in Thailand (Khmer Times):-

May 20, 2020

Two Thai provinces to open border for Cambodians seeking emergency medical help

The Thais to allow Cambodians needing medical attention to cross the border.

23 hours ago, RickG16 said:

But taking Vietnam out of the equation completely... I just mean that land borders around Thailand could open before international passenger flights....?

Why would they? Where is the logic in that. If they open the landcrossings it would probably be for stranded migrant workers, not for tourists and expats.

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why would they? Where is the logic in that. If they open the landcrossings it would probably be for stranded migrant workers, not for tourists and expats.

Exactly. Thailand and Burma recently agreed to temporarily open the land border at Mae Sot to allow unemployed Burmese workers to return home. I believe this operation will last two months to deal with "special" buses from Bangkok carrying the migrant workers for repatriation who must possess the relevant health certification documents. NO tourists or ex-pats!

On my Vietnam trip last year, Danang Bana Hills day out was the high spot of my holiday.  My Thai GF was very impressed by the degree of modernity.

Nothing to do with the topic but the name evoked pleasant memories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vietnam is closed until 30th June at the earliest for tourists and standard business travellers. 

There is an exemption in place for highly skilled professionals, especially those working on the Saigon railway line.