Does anyone know when we can travel to Thailand from USA?

It seems countries all around the world are starting to relax their COVID-19 restrictions and I'm wondering when we can travel again. I saw some things about Thailand opening up domestic travel and ending lockdowns at the end of the month.

Flights on expedia for all of June have gotten super expensive and I first found out about it from my fiance's sister who said if I wanna go there in June I will have to pay a lot, and indeed flights are $2000 and up. but in July they are cheaper more normal price.

I would like to book a date that is more realistic and of course I will book it with travel insurance so if I cannot go then I can easily get a refund or reschedule without paying extra..

However, I can't seem to find any information at all on when I'll be able to travel there.

• Haha 1

From low risk asian countries like China and Korea, Thailand may open to them In July.

From USA, I think Thailand may open to them in Oct.  Thais are scared to death by the high infection rate.  Thais may want to open up to these high infection rate countries in high season for money, but not before in my observation.

11 minutes ago, JohnBZ said:

From low risk asian countries like China and Korea, Thailand may open to them In July.

From USA, I think Thailand may open to them in Oct.  Thais are scared to death by the high infection rate.  Thais may want to open up to these high infection rate countries in high season for money, but not before in my observation.

Saw in the news the other day China is having a bit of a resurgence and some renewed Wuhan style lockdowns in certain regions.

Heh low risk areas like China and Korea. The places that originally had the worst infection rates, while US has been almost no infection whatsoever at least where I live. Many people here where I live did not wear masks at all until it was mandated last month? And I don't know of anyone being sick here. The only really bad infection rates seem to be out of NYC. I've heard also some other states but I haven't heard anything about where I live.

From talking with my fiance and her telling me about cases in her town that she knows about and people talking about it. No one here talks about it at all. For me here other than the stay at home orders everything seems completely normal.

I would literally bet everything I have that I could fly there, do everything I need to do whatever, come back and never be sick like at all. I would bet all my money, everything. Already been there twice in the middle of when it broke out and I'm fine. So frustrating.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Game Program said:

Heh low risk areas like China and Korea. The places that originally had the worst infection rates, while US has been almost no infection whatsoever at least where I live. Many people here where I live did not wear masks at all until it was mandated last month? And I don't know of anyone being sick here. The only really bad infection rates seem to be out of NYC. I've heard also some other states but I haven't heard anything about where I live.

From talking with my fiance and her telling me about cases in her town that she knows about and people talking about it. No one here talks about it at all. For me here other than the stay at home orders everything seems completely normal.

I would literally bet everything I have that I could fly there, do everything I need to do whatever, come back and never be sick like at all. I would bet all my money, everything. Already been there twice in the middle of when it broke out and I'm fine. So frustrating.

I had flights booked for July 18 but I decided to cancel them because I had until May 31 to change or cancel without a re-booking fee. Where I am in the Maryland suburbs of D.C. there are several cases and deaths from COVID-19. In fact, some of my Thai wife's friends that are Thai contracted the disease and were hospitalized. One of them is still not fully recovered. I'm not allowed to visit my 90 year old mother because of restrictions on visitors to her retirement community.

It doesn't matter what area of the US you are from. Once you go to an International terminal, board a plane with people from various locations, you are no longer protected from this pandemic.

Even if Thailand let me into the country, I expect that they intend to have me and my family remain in quarantine for 14 days. No point in spending half of my vacation that way. I plan on booking again next Summer. Hopefully by then there will be a vaccine available. 

• Like 1

What about Americans currently in Thailand?  I have a single entry non o so at the moment july 30th is looking like my exit due date.  If the US is still a restricted country will I be allowed back in as an American if I go get another non o visa at a neighboring country?  Will immigration be able to see based on my passport that I have not been to America in years and let me be with my family or do I need to camp out somewhere until Americans are off travel restrictions in Thailand?  Thanks all for your ideas on this

12 hours ago, Ajvat37 said:

What about Americans currently in Thailand?  I have a single entry non o so at the moment july 30th is looking like my exit due date.  If the US is still a restricted country will I be allowed back in as an American if I go get another non o visa at a neighboring country?  Will immigration be able to see based on my passport that I have not been to America in years and let me be with my family or do I need to camp out somewhere until Americans are off travel restrictions in Thailand?  Thanks all for your ideas on this

Thailand may adopt a restriction policy based on where you lived past 30 days rather than what passport you hold.  To be brutally honest, Americans are not their top priority.  Their mind right now is fixated on how to get the Chinese back as that is more of a life or death question for the Thai tourist industry.

If you have to come back to Thailand soon after your trip, I suggest you postpone the trip till the Thai policy is clear.  Regarding Americans, my guess is policy won't be clear till August the earliest.  

3 minutes ago, JohnBZ said:

Thailand may adopt a restriction policy based on where you lived past 30 days rather than what passport you hold.  To be brutally honest, Americans are not their top priority.  Their mind right now is fixated on how to get the Chinese back as that is more of a life or death question for the Thai tourist industry.

If you have to come back to Thailand soon after your trip, I suggest you postpone the trip till the Thai policy is clear.  Regarding Americans, my guess is policy won't be clear till August the earliest.  

I am in similar situation.  My plan is to go to China when China open up in July timeframe and not to return to Thailand till next February.  By then I think there must be some kind of solution worked out for foreign tourists including Americans.

October I think for U.K. and US citizens . We will be the very last allowed back.

Spokeswoman from TAT (tourism authority of Thailand) said they expecting tourists in October.

Can maybe see Koreans and Chinese etc allowed back before then . 

Im hoping tourists who are prepared to self quarantine , location track and report symptoms daily may be accepted back sooner , but I can’t see it. If one ends up in hospital with Covid its enough to trigger it all off again. 

I would go tomorrow if it were allowed.  But so much will depend on what they require.  Some sort of medical certificate?  Test result? Hard if not impossible to get here in the USA before travel.  Testing not to mention getting to one's doctor is far from trivial, especially if working on the road as I am away from home. 

So issues are or may be:

1:  Can one even buy a ticket with confidence

2:  What type of insurance if any is needed for say a 60 day SETV and subsequent 30 day extension

3:  What type of medical certificate or test may be required?

4:  Will enough hotels and pools and beaches and bars and clubs and zoos, and parks be open and able to support tourism?

26 minutes ago, HerbyJFlash said:

October I think for U.K. and US citizens . We will be the very last allowed back.

Spokeswoman from TAT (tourism authority of Thailand) said they expecting tourists in October.

Can maybe see Koreans and Chinese etc allowed back before then . 

Im hoping tourists who are prepared to self quarantine , location track and report symptoms daily may be accepted back sooner , but I can’t see it. If one ends up in hospital with Covid its enough to trigger it all off again. 

Not a tourism attraction is it being monitored and tracked on arrival. I doubt many tourists will accept that to sit on a beach and the guys after naughty things won't be interested in that type of monitoring.

If they do go down that route then I'll find somewhere else to go.

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I would go tomorrow if it were allowed.  But so much will depend on what they require.  Some sort of medical certificate?  Test result? Hard if not impossible to get here in the USA before travel.  Testing not to mention getting to one's doctor is far from trivial, especially if working on the road as I am away from home. 

So issues are or may be:

1:  Can one even buy a ticket with confidence

2:  What type of insurance if any is needed for say a 60 day SETV and subsequent 30 day extension

3:  What type of medical certificate or test may be required?

4:  Will enough hotels and pools and beaches and bars and clubs and zoos, and parks be open and able to support tourism?

1. No.

2. No one knows yet.

3. see 2.

4. see 3.

Sucks eh?  My work permit/ extension to stay runs out mid-June.  Who knows what I will have to do to enter if I even can if my (6th time lucky) flight happens on 1/7.

Edited by Slip
s

On May 22, 2020 at 6:24 AM, Game Program said:

Things almost normal in the US? 1, 677,258 cases and 99,040 deaths , on May 1 alone there were 33,007 cases. 

But im glad you're sure everything will be ok.

question: is weed legal in your state? Better lay off it buddy.

chances of ANY country allowing in Americans is quite slim. 

Lets keep it that way till things get sorted.????????

On 5/22/2020 at 10:24 PM, Game Program said:

Funny you should say that ,I was on a plane from Chiang Mai to BK full of  Chinese in late January many had masks and many were sneezing.I got sick about ten days later with fever and low energy my wife also got sick.We recovered quick and went to NZ, where we are stuck now , no one ever got sick in the district here,hence  I think many have caught this and got better,probably a milder form and have now developed immunity.

3 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Not a tourism attraction is it being monitored and tracked on arrival. I doubt many tourists will accept that to sit on a beach and the guys after naughty things won't be interested in that type of monitoring.

If they do go down that route then I'll find somewhere else to go.

@tribalfusion001If I could rent a condo and stay in with my gf who I haven’t seen in months , eat som tam , watch TV and chill by the pool I would in a heart beat . 

It would maybe just be an option for repatriation with families , people with business matters that need sorting etc. 

@gk10002000 In regards to health / travel insurance , the idea of buying insurance at Suvarnabhumi upon arrival for around 300 baht has been proposed. I’m really hoping this gets implemented as it alleviates the problem entirely.

Edited by HerbyJFlash