CCSA approves extension of emergency for a month

webfact

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

So why is the entire population held in an emergency?

why indeed? though do you honesty believe the government statistics are 100% true and accurate? with no mass testing done, and non planned, the authorities have no idea of the level of infection or number of deaths.

compared the track and trace initiatives in say, korea and the uk, to what is being done in thailand and it's immediately clear at best it is an ineffective pr stunt, at worst a joke.

the government knows it has no idea of the scale of the problem and has no effective measures in place to respond to the crisis, therefore they have to keep restrictions in place.

any western country that had the statistics thailand has been reporting would be close to opening up completely.

There are simply not many C19 cases in the hospital. There is also no dark corner where the C19 corpses pile up. If it were so, the Thai government could never suppress these numbers. 95% of all people infected with C19 don't even notice it. There's no reason to lock the people up in the evenings.

59 minutes ago, runamok27 said:

While everyone seems to make jokes about the government here, the fact of the matter is they aren't stupid. They know full well how the testing is being conducted, so they also would know that there could be thousands of infected folks out there that are falling through the cracks. Not to mention they have already determined that the flu strain that came from China was not as infectious as the mutated one that came out of Italy and made it's way to the U.S.. The last thing they need is for the much more infectious strain to make it's way here, so it would probably be best to keep the screws turned for a while longer. If they were really smart, they would forget about loosening anything at least until the end of the year. That would definitely destroy their economy, although an argument could be made that it has already happened but it would be better than a massive spread that clearly the hospitals here could not handle. 

Still with this nonsense about the "mutated strain"?

There are MANY strains of this virus but they never found any major difference between them.

Edited by Anton9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

So riddle me this, if there are so many infections going about, why aren't these thousands that you speak about coming forward? Are they all asymptomatic, or are there not thousands of infected people still about?  If there were thousands infected walking about that were feeling any symptoms, some of them would have checked into hospital, correct?

I agree with you. There's no COVID 19 in Thailand at the moment. Of course there were and are some random cases, but to spread them into 67 million population, that's nothing. I live in Thailand and I don't know anyone who has got it even if I could be related to thousands of peope. That's says it all. 

The government should restart the local tourism as soon as possible as it hurts people in that business. Their 5000 Baht cash handouts are a joke. People used to make that in a day before the crisis hit. Many people need to pay their mortgages and leasings for their cars.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

Still with this nonsense about the "mutated strain"?

There are MANY strains of this virus but they never found any major difference between them.

Do you really believe in an effective vaccine? It would've been there by now if people could do it. The virus mutates. That's the problem. The vaccine that is developed now could not be useful for the infections happening in a few months afterwords. Same with the flu. There are still many people who get the flu even if they had the vaccine.

So far there's no vaccine for corona viruses. HIV is also a virus that doesn't have a vaccine. It's not that simple.

Edited by Thunder26
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, johnmell said:

Was going out to a restuarant for my birthday with 3 family members but wont bother if i cant get a beer aswell. Thats a few thousand baht a Thai business wont get. Just a small example of an unnecessary rule.

John, why not go out and have an enjoyable evening with the family, better that than in their memories being the birthday you didn't celebrate just because you couldn't have a beer. Life's too short to punish them out of your spite, get out and have a nice time, and happy birthday!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The rich could care less is the country was shut down forever. They can fly anywhere in the the world in their private jets. Having a good time while everyone else suffers. what a a place, isn't it great

Every day I see lots of private jets flying over my house in landing pattern.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Wiggy said:

And so the poor get poorer. 

So do some of the larger enterprises, from what I can see many vendors and small business owners can re-open, except those who have close contact as part of their services...

I wouldn't want to be a hotel owner at the moment, or a bar/club owner... how many poor people own them?

5 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

I agree with you. There's no COVID 19 in Thailand at the moment. Of course there were and are some random cases, but to spread them into 67 million population, that's nothing. I live in Thailand and I don't know anyone who has got it even if I could be related to thousands of peope. That's says it all. 

The government should restart the local tourism as soon as possible as it hurts people in that business. Their 5000 Baht cash handouts are a joke. People used to make that in a day before the crisis hit. Many people need to pay their mortgages and leasings for their cars.

Their 5000 Baht cash handouts are a joke. People used to make that in a day before the crisis hit.

What "people" are you referring to?

I should think that there are very, very few people in Thailand that make 5000 Baht in a day.

The vast majority of Thais earn around 300 Baht per day or less.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

John, why not go out and have an enjoyable evening with the family, better that than in their memories being the birthday you didn't celebrate just because you couldn't have a beer. Life's too short to punish them out of your spite, get out and have a nice time, and happy birthday!

Dont worry mate.Will have a special meal at home, with plenty of drinking.Its not only me thinks that rule is rubbish.Rest of the family agree.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

Most Thai ppl support and understand the emergency. Just look around how positively everybody wears a mask and wash hands. There is no "boot on the throats of people". We leave that hyperbolic language better for the usa...

Yawn yawn its common sense theres no reason not allow tourists in who have a negative test and they must wear mask follow a printed out leaflet or face huge fines. Now it's just old anti farang men who speak no English starving the poor. Like Thanksin said a mistake and l agree. Prayut will  not be elected 

Edited by tomauasia

Meanwhile across the border in Cambodia with no lock-downs, curfews or other "over the top" bans:-

Quote from Khmer Times relating to predominantly DOMESTIC tourism-

May 22, 2020

Tourism reports 50 percent increase in two weeks

Chhut Bunthoeun / Khmer Times  Share:   
Tourists.jpg

More than 250,000 tourists have visited popular destinations across the country over the last two weeks, an increase of almost 50 percent compared the previous fortnight in late April, according to the Ministry of Tourism.

Millions and Millions of Thai people are only making around 300 Baht per day. Your statement is ridiculous and untrue. The only people making 5000 Baht per day are Thai's with very good jobs and profitable business owners. I doubt even the very best high class wh@res are making that sort of money, well not now anyway. Thailand has the biggest disparity between Rich and Poor in the world. Travelling around the villages in Isaan is proof of this  Your regular Thai person is very poor and it wont change anytime soon

20 hours ago, mberbae said:

Seems like Life is almost back to normal, except for the massage shops,

bars and kareokes.  The complainers must mostly be patrons of those

establishments.

I don't frequent any of these establishments, but I want to see complete freedom to travel between provinces again, IMO, there is no need not to open them up, I would also like to see most of the hotels opening up again.

20 hours ago, bangrak said:

Why?

1) Because there are millions of Thais swallowing the hook and the line, as they have been beaten to pulp for many generations to accept pure bull as the truth;

2) Because even other millions of Thais who deeply (like in hidden deeply...) oppose the military dictatorship are like overcooked rice needles in the, erm, "energy" (not) to come up against it, ...as they have been beaten to pulp for many generations not to oppose the medieval powers still abusing of them!

P.S: Please read; "rice noodles" (not "rice needles"), thank you. 

13 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

"Their 5000 Baht cash handouts are a joke. People used to make that in a day before the crisis hit. Many people need to pay their mortgages and leasings for their cars".

You must mix with a different crowd to most - 5000 baht a day?

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, Burma Bill said:

Glad I live in Cambodia!

Oh yeah - that free and open beautiful democracy is a shining beacon!  

Remind me how Hun Sen came to power again and how he has clung on to it for 35 years.  Oh, and didn't they declare a state of emergency last month?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh yeah - that free and open beautiful democracy is a shining beacon!  

Remind me how Hun Sen came to power again and how he has clung on to it for 35 years.  Oh, and didn't they declare a state of emergency last month?

What went on in the past is of no present concern to me. The Cambodian Government (Immigration) has kindly issued me with a retirement visa, with no bureaucratic paperwork or financial requirements, to live in this country and therefore I respect the Cambodian laws and culture. Yes, a Royal Decree dated 29 April 2020 announced a State of Emergency Law (in response to covid-19) but this has not yet been implemented - quote from VOA (Khmer):-

"The new law is based on Article 22 of the Constitution which allows the King to declare a state of emergency after consultations with the prime minister and presidents of the Senate and National Assembly"

No such declaration has been made to date and life within the country continues more or less as normal. Still restrictions on inter provincial travel and borders closed to tourists, ex-pats and other travelers but no bans on alcohol, no curfews, no lock-downs, no shopping apps, no forced social distancing and no mandatory rules about wearing face masks (here in Siem Reap).

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

Most logical countries enter a state called "only minimal social distancing required" when the level of Covid is the same as in Thailand. It is the stage 2. The one above stage 1 where there is zero Covid in the country!

Thailand still has a curfew and alcohol bans in place and a military dictatorship that is scared and doesn't know what to do next........

????????????

I honestly believe that Prayut doesn't understand the situation. At this level of COVID he is supposed to control local outbreaks by test, trace and isolate...   not by blanket national emergency lockdowns that destroy people's livelihoods and the economy....

????????????

Doen't he know that he can NEVER eradicate the virus from Thailand... until there is a cure or a vaccine... is he waiting for that to happen.... he might be waiting years...  by which time the people will have rioted

What a moron!!!

Edited by Ketyo

On 5/22/2020 at 8:55 PM, sambum said:

Didn't know you could get "massive" cues? Maybe that's why I can' t make more than a 30 break (on a good day!)

Yeah, fair enough. Don't drink and type simply explained ????