Does a pond in your garden reduce the property value ?

OneeyedJohn

A local man offered to dig up the large pond in our property to make it deeper, it is very shallow and my wife and I thought what a good idea. It wasn't gonna cost us anything as he would use the mud to sell at a later date.

Then we heard from someone else who said if we did that  then when we come to sell the purchasers would ask for a huge reduction in the sale price because they would have to spend many baht on the cost of refilling the ponds.

At first I thought this laughable, but out here in the sticks anything is possible.

What do you think?

• Haha 1

I have 3 ponds, the one I am referring to is roughly half a rai (800 m2  the other 2 are probably half that size each.

They were dug initially because we wanted a prawn farm, but luckily did not pursue that idea. The soil was then used to form a raised platform for the house build.

5 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I have 3 ponds, the one I am referring to is roughly half a rai (800 m2  the other 2 are probably half that size each.

They were dug initially because we wanted a prawn farm, but luckily did not pursue that idea. The soil was then used to form a raised platform for the house build.

Go and check the cost per truck for soil, and then you will understand why someone wants to remove for free. People on the know will pay small money for land that is full of holes for building. if its only for farming or in the middle of no whare then no big issue if you want to keep fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure what the problem is. Either:

• trade the soil for the work, then carry the potential obligation of buying fill or discounting a sale, or
  • pay have the work done and store the soil for later return 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

Go and check the cost per truck for soil, and then you will understand why someone wants to remove for free. People on the know will pay small money for land

...the flip side of this "people on the know will pay small money for land", say 1/4 of a small hill (that doesn't have clear title) then carve out all the dirt for sale then abandon the scarred property.

3 hours ago, tifino said:

the prospective future buyer might be a retired rice farmer...

and he might not want to have to hobby plant deepwater rice init!

If he is a rice farmer he most likely will be interested in a lage water storage, on which he can keep fish as well which eat the insects on the rice

If it adversely affects your property value, then it's best to make it bigger and market as a swimming pool.

Small pond = property value down by 500,000 Baht

Small swimming pool = property value up by 500,000 Baht

Simples, lol.

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2020 at 5:06 PM, BritManToo said:

Depends on the size of the pond.

Topsoil is fairly hard to get.

You wouldn't need a lot of topsoil once you're filled it with cheap dirt from the nearest building site.

Edited by JensenZ

If the pond looks good - a feature in the garden - you could probably have some fish ( not Koi) certainly lilies, lotus - enjoy it .

Everyone seems obsessed with the value of property- it’s not an investment-and somewhere to make your home. 
See it as that - then you will not worry. 

• Like 2

I have a turtle pond in between my two properties it’s a proper square concrete pond with a filtering system  / water fall 3 x 3 x 1.5 I have 5 red slider turtles each being around 25cm Long they love it , now and again I will place them in my 16 metre salt water swimming pool for a few days so that they can really stretch there legs I feed them on sliced ham from Makro and lettuce which they love . I would recommend if you have a pond then incorporate a filter system mine holds around 100/120 litres in the holding tank and yes I have to top it up now and again if there is no rain . I run it for 8 hours a day running cost around 500 baht per month. Does it increase the price of the property I doubt it but it’s nice to hear running water as it’s very relaxing. Everyone who visits are fascinated by the turtles as the water is very clear I cannot put plants in the pond because the Turtle eat them all the other thing to note is that turtles or fish love to feast on mosquito.

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 1

I dont think it will affect your value, when someone sees your place, they will either like it or not.

No one is going to look at 3 ponds and try and visualise what it might look like filled in and how much it would cost to do so..

• Like 1

It depends on your location. In rural Isaan where most families keep buffaloes and farming rice a pond would actually increase the value of the land due to the very long and harsh dry seasons and unreliable government water supply. Around Pattaya, Phuket or Bangkok it could depreciate the value.

It really does depend. There's a world of difference between

1. A 'pond' that is full of water all year around, is nicely shaped and placed within a garden as an attractive feature, has lilies, water plants inside, has a path, bushes and appropriate trees around it, etc., and...

2. A 'pit' that is featureless, has steep sides, is half empty or worse for half the year. Particularly a large deep pit!

A pond as defined has aesthetic value and maybe practical use too for swimming or for fishing. I had a house with a half rai pond just like this and for me it was an attraction that was a deciding factor on choosing that property. A pond can raise the value of the whole property.

A pit on the other hand will certainly reduce the value unless the prospective buyer just happens to have a productive use for it and is looking for just that (not so likely). I have also bought a property that came with a one-third rai deep ugly pit and I couldn't wait to get it filled in and turned into something better. That cost a fortune. The cost of filling in a pit with soil is very likely to be factored into an offer when you come to sell and may put off many prospects from the get go.

• Like 1

As you realize by now no one can give you advice on the added/detracted value because it depends on where you are.

Water is a resource and theoretically it should add value but as #23 said it depends whether it is a hole in the ground or a useful feature.

You could do some research of properties for sale in your area that have similar features. I would not believe the local information gossip.

many factors at play here... mostly, who is your prospective buyer... a retired farang might l;ike a pond, an isaan farmer might like a small one for water supply for a farm... in general, land usually goes up in value and structures go down...

If you intend on "working" the pond by making it natural and balanced it will be enjoyable.   It should have a pump and filter to add oxygen along with lighting for night.   There are lots of landscaping choices to make it lush and unique.   I am a Florida, USA, landscaper and have my own pond there.   The house is now in Airbnb and the agent says the pond keeps it rented.  Not sure about Issan.

One factor that should not weigh in here is the cost of filling in the pond later on if a prospective buyer does not want it.  A dump truck load of <deleted> Thai soil will fill it in, and some sod from a vendor on top and i'ts gone

Lot easier than building your own if you are a prospective purchaser

My opinion is that having a pond in a residential setting will not lower your property value, since property value here in Thailand is only based upon what someone else is willing to pay for it

Here is mine: 

pond.png.07bdfac41e6d57ae8f21ff231b2fe957.png