Pattaya-Map Ta Phut tollway opens for free trial period

snoop1130

Pattaya-Map Ta Phut tollway opens for free trial period

By The Nation

800_dc9fd10fe0abe2d.jpg

The 25-kilometre extension to intercity Highway Number 7 (Bangkok-Ban Chang) opened for trial service today (May 22). The route links U-Tapao Airport and Map Ta Phut Industrial estate and will be toll-free until September.

The four-lane highway carries a speed limit of 120 kilometres per hour.

The stretch between Pattaya and Map Ta Phut is set to be the main route used in developing the industrial zones of the eastern seaboard.

At least 36,000 vehicles are expected to use the extension each day.

The route will be fully open in September 2020, when new toll rates will be collected throughout the route from Bangkok to the U-Tapao tollbooth. Cars will be charged Bt25-Bt130, six-wheelers Bt45-Bt210 and bigger vehicles Bt60-Bt305.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388334

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-22

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Cars will be charged Bt25-Bt130, six-wheelers Bt45-Bt210 and bigger vehicles Bt60-Bt305.

Why is there a lower and higher price? Very few Farangs drive six wheelers or larger..........LOL

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Why is there a lower and higher price? Very few Farangs drive six wheelers or larger..........LOL

Different prices reflect different motorway entry points.

Bt.130 would be for those that get on the motorway at BKK.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Grusa said:

But what about the branch to Ocean Marina? No sign of that opening, as of yesterday evening.

The junction to join this new bit off the 7 just past the first toll booths at Pattaya was still closed at 9.30am yesterday and coming back at around 3.30pm so I am not sure if it really opened unless it was for a short period in-between? 

Just see that I had posted in an older thread.

Just seen a dash-cam video of a drive down south yesterday (it has a Thai language comment).

Of course its complete. All (or most) concrete surface, the whole stretch with floodlight poles!

Light-years from what I see daily.

If they do not enforce strict speed checks this will be a mad racetrack for the coming months.

The only unfinished part(?) seem to be the exits?

On the video they are all blocked with pylons/barriers.

May be this changes on short note.

29 minutes ago, topt said:

The junction to join this new bit off the 7 just past the first toll booths at Pattaya was still closed at 9.30am yesterday and coming back at around 3.30pm so I am not sure if it really opened unless it was for a short period in-between? 

I came past at 4.00pm and they were removing the barriers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

I came past at 4.00pm and they were removing the barriers.

That was the official opening time as the reports say.

And indeed, the exits can not be used (closed).

So you can only go straight to Sukhumvit somewhat near to U-Tapao.

• Like 1

Travelling north from Pattaya in the direction of BKK, approx 1.5 km from the Pattaya toll plaza drivers will see the ON Ramp to join the new Pattaya-Map Phut tollway. This ON ramp is on the wrong side of the NORTH bound carriageway. Drivers wanting to join this ON ramp from the slow left lane of the carriageway will have to cross the outer fast lane to gain access to the ramp. The ramp should have been constructed on the left hand side. This will become an accident black spot. Be very careful when joining the ON ramp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grusa said:

But what about the branch to Ocean Marina? No sign of that opening, as of yesterday evening.

The junction at the Ocean Marina  is an accident waiting to happen most countries would have built a flyover.

27 minutes ago, foggy farang said:

Travelling north from Pattaya in the direction of BKK, approx 1.5 km from the Pattaya toll plaza drivers will see the ON Ramp to join the new Pattaya-Map Phut tollway. This ON ramp is on the wrong side of the NORTH bound carriageway. Drivers wanting to join this ON ramp from the slow left lane of the carriageway will have to cross the outer fast lane to gain access to the ramp. The ramp should have been constructed on the left hand side. This will become an accident black spot. Be very careful when joining the ON ramp.

Yes, it will be a case of drivers positioning themselves, it wouldn't really matter which side of the road the on ramp is located at, if it had been on the left side then there would be folks having to cut across from the right in to slow traffic.

I drove the link from Ban Chang to Pattaya today about 1045. The exits to 331/Silverlake area and to Huay Yai/ Jomtein are and both not ready yet and will remain closed til September. There is a lot of radway finish work to do yet and many workers in different areas all along the roadway,,,,,,,,,clearly this a a very soft open for the highway but the main road to and from Ban Chang is now open for use and it will definitely cut your drive time to Swampy and BKK.

So what's the most convenient way getting on that road when coming from Pattaya north/center/south and going to u-tapao or towards koh samed? Driving to 7 and taking the junction, or driving suk south and taking a connecting road (if/when opened)?

It does seem useful to avoid the mayhem on sukhumvit at Sattahip and Rayong.

My partner and I drove the length of it today on an outing to Ban Pae.  (Very dirty beach where we stopped to take some photos that made me appreciate how very clean and nice Pattaya Beach has been kept these past few years.)  The toll road itself is nice with a number of raised stretches over low areas.  Still some work being done on barriers.  We were surprised at the few opportunities to get on the road along its length.  The merges at the main motorway could have been done better.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Grusa said:

yeah i noticed this yesterday pm.....IT IS ALL blocked off !! so where can one enter this new supa dupa motorway ???

On 5/23/2020 at 10:04 AM, Grusa said:

On 5/22/2020 at 5:33 PM, snoop1130 said:

The 25-kilometre extension to intercity Highway Number 7 (Bangkok-Ban Chang) opened for trial service today, ... The route will be fully open in September 2020, ...

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, sometime said:

The junction at the Ocean Marina  is an accident waiting to happen most countries would have built a flyover.

It's a t-junction with traffic lights and filter lanes.

I reckon the u-turn about 4 km in from the marina will be far more exciting.

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

it wasn't open yesterday, 23rd. 

The main entry points are Pattaya and Ban Chang and they were open on Saturday as I drove the full length north and south. The other two entry exits will not open til September

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

The main entry points are Pattaya and Ban Chang and they were open on Saturday as I drove the full length north and south. The other two entry exits will not open til September

Nice smooth ride ? No nasty unexpected bumps in the road, or those annoying "jumps" you encounter at some bridges where you almost go airborne (on both sides of it) ?

Probably a little more "scenic" as well. Looks like mostly farmland in the middle stretches of the road (from the Google Maps perspective at least).

My opinion on the ride quality,,,,,,,,very smooth even in my olde pickup. The joints at the raised overpasses was smooth too but remember this is all new. A local friend that also drove on it said the same thing very smooth as compared to say when the re-modeled the Hwy 36 road between the motorway 7 and 331 last year, that stretch was a very bumpy ride at every section joint

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Nice smooth ride ? No nasty unexpected bumps in the road, or those annoying "jumps" you encounter at some bridges where you almost go airborne (on both sides of it) ?

Probably a little more "scenic" as well. Looks like mostly farmland in the middle stretches of the road (from the Google Maps perspective at least).

I can remember passing a section of it in the early days of construction when out for a drive. Saw a couple of elephants dragging logs out of the forest. Very scenic part of Chonburi. Although I approve of the construction and will use it, it has created a massive scar through some unspoiled and beautiful countryside.

1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

That explains it.  I will be trying it out tomorrow.  It sure looks impressive and will cut my journey time to Central Big C considerably. Thanks to the planners for once  

On 5/24/2020 at 9:15 AM, essox essox said:

yeah i noticed this yesterday pm.....IT IS ALL blocked off !! so where can one enter this new supa dupa motorway ???

You can only enter at highway 7, North Pattaya or at Ban Chang, Sukhumvit. Entrance/ exits at Ocean Marina and 331 road are closed and there was a sign at the 331 exit this morning saying it will open in September.

The exit at Ban/Chang Maptaphut isn't really completed either so a bit of work ahead them yet. 

Even when fully open it will be obvious the main intention is Bangkok to Maptaphut or Utapao.

Using it for a fast way Ban Chang to Patts is ok if you're heading for the west side of patts.

If you are thinking BC to Jomtien when it's finished in September the 332 to Suk' road or 331 Budda Mtn road will probably be same timing and 30/40 baht cheaper.