Non-O in time of covid-19

I am here on the amnesty for a tourist visa extension. I will go back to USA before July 31st. I would like to  maximize my chances of being allowed back in during November, as I am having a house built with an eye towards long-term residency. I'm thinking people with long-term visas might have a better chance than those trying to come back on a tourist visa.

Would it make sense to apply for a non-O visa based on retirement, even though I am planning to leave before the end of July? I have read on the Thai Embassy website that the period of stay is only 90 days, but it also says if you get a multiple entry visa, the visa is good for one year. Does that mean I could leave in July and I would get a new period of stay when I come back in November? And then I could apply for the one-year extension of stay when I return in November? I meet the age requirement, and already have my Thai bank account and the money needed (but not deposited yet.) I also have a pension that would qualify, but I don't think I can get a letter from the US Embassy now.

Sorry this is so complicated, but that's just how they make it for us.

you are building a house and don't have extension of stay. You can not own land if not Thai, unless married to a Thai citizen thus purchased/built on her name or the other option is to use a company to purchase the land, but without a long term visa/extension of stay it's kind of risky, if married to Thai citizen maybe applying for marriage visa easier,

@ubonjoeis better qualified to provide information on visas

• Confused 1

Where do you plan on applying for the multiple entry non-o visa?

Have you considered applying for a Non-OA long stay visa. It allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

You could apply for it in the states at the embassy in Washington DC or one of the 3 official consulates.

Requirements are here: https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

You cannot get a non-o visa anywhere in the states based upon being 50 or over.

If you apply for a Non O visa within Thailand, it gives you a 90-day stay. You can then extend this further for an additional year but usually (without the use of an agent) only during the last 30-45 days of your initial 90-day stay. You then get a re-entry permit to ensure the extended one-year permission to stay remains valid for your return. This ought to work, but I am unsure you could have the process complete before July 31st. Is your departure date flexible, perhaps to mid August?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Where do you plan on applying for the multiple entry non-o visa?

Have you considered applying for a Non-OA long stay visa. It allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

You could apply for it in the states at the embassy in Washington DC or one of the 3 official consulates.

Requirements are here: https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

You cannot get a non-o visa anywhere in the states based upon being 50 or over.

Thanks, I don't live close to one of those places that issue the type O-A in United States, but I wonder if I could apply by mail. Or could I apply for it while I'm still here in Thailand?

Edited by Jlop
Mistakes

Just now, Jlop said:

Thanks, I don't live close to one of those places that issue the type O-A in United States, but I wonder if I could apply by mail. I could I apply for it while I'm still here in Thailand?

You would have to apply for it while in the states. You can do it by mail while there.

4 hours ago, Jlop said:

Does that mean I could leave in July and I would get a new period of stay when I come back in November? And then I could apply for the one-year extension of stay when I return in November?

If you could go to Savannakhet or Penang to get a 1-year ME Non-O Visa based on retirement (good for entry for a year) there, and then go to the USA - then use that visa on your return. 

Be aware that entering on a Non-OA Visa (the only one you can get from a Thai embassy in the USA), versus a regular Non-O (no "A" at the end), puts you into a special category requiring Health Insurance from a select-set of Thai companies' policies, when you eventually apply for a 1-year extension.

It is difficult to say if any additional leeway to enter Thailand would be gained by having a Non-O based on retirement, vs a regular Tourist Visa.  Even those with Thai Family were not given the ability to enter, when foreigners were last being allowed entry - just those with work-permits.  There is no way to predict the rules in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 6:42 PM, UncleMhee said:

The threads about visas yeah? When did they start letting people rent visas? 

I think he was talking about renting the land but I'm not sure

On 5/22/2020 at 9:53 PM, JackThompson said:

If you could go to Savannakhet or Penang to get a 1-year ME Non-O Visa based on retirement (good for entry for a year) there, and then go to the USA - then use that visa on your return. 

Be aware that entering on a Non-OA Visa (the only one you can get from a Thai embassy in the USA), versus a regular Non-O (no "A" at the end), puts you into a special category requiring Health Insurance from a select-set of Thai companies' policies, when you eventually apply for a 1-year extension.

It is difficult to say if any additional leeway to enter Thailand would be gained by having a Non-O based on retirement, vs a regular Tourist Visa.  Even those with Thai Family were not given the ability to enter, when foreigners were last being allowed entry - just those with work-permits.  There is no way to predict the rules in the future.

Thanks, it sounds like a 1-year ME Non-O Visa based on retirement (good for entry for a year) is only available at a Thai embassy outside of United States, correct? Being in Krabi, Penang is not far, but I am a little worried about whether the Thai immigration will let us back into the country with coronavirus restrictions. Maybe by land but not by air?

13 minutes ago, Jlop said:

Thanks, it sounds like a 1-year ME Non-O Visa based on retirement (good for entry for a year) is only available at a Thai embassy outside of United States, correct? Being in Krabi, Penang is not far, but I am a little worried about whether the Thai immigration will let us back into the country with coronavirus restrictions. Maybe by land but not by air?

If you are going back to US before 31 July, it is unsure whether you will be able to apply for the 1-year Multiple Entry Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the Penang consulate.  Not only need the borders be open by then, but also possible covid-measures like 2-week quarantaine or mandatory covid-insurance might come into play.

I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document on how to apply for an in-country 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension.  The document also describes the options to apply for the Non Imm O-A long stay Visa at a thai embassy/consulate in your home-country, as well as how to apply for the 1-year MulitpleEntry Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the thai consulate in Savannakhet or Penang.

> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jlop said:

Nobody knows what the requirements will be when the borders open and passenger flights into the country are allowed.

I don't think it will matter what type of visa you have then.

To apply for the non-o in Penang you will need to show the equivalent of 800k baht in a bank or proof of 65k baht income or both totaling 800k baht.

Since you are flying back to US before 31 July and plan to come back in November, best and easiest way is NOT to apply now for a Non Imm O Visa and simply fly back.

While in US you can apply for a Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa, if the conditions of that Visa suit you (but it does require the mandatory health-insurance).

Alternatively you can just return to Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa.  And once in country apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension.  Or alternatively do a border-run once in country and apply for the 1-year ME Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the Penang or Savannekhet thai consulate.

Note: I presume you are NOT married to a Thai national or have thai dependant children, because in that case you have many other options.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Since you are flying back to US before 31 July and plan to come back in November, best and easiest way is NOT to apply now for a Non Imm O Visa and simply fly back.

While in US you can apply for a Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa, if the conditions of that Visa suit you (but it does require the mandatory health-insurance).

Alternatively you can just return to Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa.  And once in country apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension.  Or alternatively do a border-run once in country and apply for the 1-year ME Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the Penang or Savannekhet thai consulate.

Note: I presume you are NOT married to a Thai national or have thai dependant children, because in that case you have many other options.

Thanks, wife is Philippine which offers its own set of complications

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Nobody knows what the requirements will be when the borders open and passenger flights into the country are allowed.

I don't think it will matter what type of visa you have then.

To apply for the non-o in Penang you will need to show the equivalent of 800k baht in a bank or proof of 65k baht income or both totaling 800k baht.

Thanks, I think the proof of 65,000 baht income has to be be notarized by the US Embassy, is that your understanding?

7 minutes ago, Jlop said:

Thanks, I think the proof of 65,000 baht income has to be be notarized by the US Embassy, is that your understanding?

The embassy will not notarize anything for proof of income now. Those ended in December of 2018.

The consulate in Penang might accept something from the SSA or your pension provider. It might also help to have a bank statement to show it going into your account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Alternatively you can just return to Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa. 

With the current situation in the USA, not sure if Thailand will allow Americans to enter. And there is no sign of the virus abating in the USA within a few months. Every day 20K infections and 1,000 deaths. 

The Thai consulate in Penang website does not list requirements for a non-immigrant O visa for reasons of retirement.  Is it actually available?

My OA visa expires in June, but I have permission to stay to the end of August, so I am looking at alternatives to avoid the health insurance by getting a non-immigrant O visa for retirement in a nearby embassy/consulate in early August.  Assuming the travel restrictions are lifted by then.

8 minutes ago, StevoLe said:

Is it actually available?

Yes

You will need to show 800k baht in a bank or proof of 65k baht income for both totaling 800k baht. You may also be asked for proof of retirement which can be a pension statement.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, StevoLe said:

The Thai consulate in Penang website does not list requirements for a non-immigrant O visa for reasons of retirement.  Is it actually available?

My OA visa expires in June, but I have permission to stay to the end of August, so I am looking at alternatives to avoid the health insurance by getting a non-immigrant O visa for retirement in a nearby embassy/consulate in early August.  Assuming the travel restrictions are lifted by then.

Yes, it is available and please note that proof of the 800K does not need to be in a thai bank-account.

In case you are looking for other alternatives to avoid the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance scam, I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, which does not require the thai IO-approved health-insurance scam.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum

On 5/22/2020 at 5:33 PM, Jlop said:

Does that mean I could leave in July and I would get a new period of stay when I come back in November? And then I could apply for the one-year extension of stay when I return in November

I do not believe you can get a Non-Imm-O Multi in the USA based on retirement.

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

You will need to show 800k baht in a bank or proof of 65k baht income for both totaling 800k baht. You may also be asked for proof of retirement which can be a pension statement.

Thanks Joe.

It is not listed as an available visa on the website, so it was a little confusing.  I will email the consulate before making any plans to get the latest requirements.

I have had 800k baht in a Thai bank account since April, so no problems with the financial requirements.    I am collecting US social security, so I would use that statement.

30 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, it is available and please note that proof of the 800K does not need to be in a thai bank-account.

In case you are looking for other alternatives to avoid the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance scam, I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, which does not require the thai IO-approved health-insurance scam.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum

Thanks Peter.