BANGKOK

29 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Since you are flying back to US before 31 July and plan to come back in November, best and easiest way is NOT to apply now for a Non Imm O Visa and simply fly back.

While in US you can apply for a Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa, if the conditions of that Visa suit you (but it does require the mandatory health-insurance).

Alternatively you can just return to Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa.  And once in country apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension.  Or alternatively do a border-run once in country and apply for the 1-year ME Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the Penang or Savannekhet thai consulate.

Note: I presume you are NOT married to a Thai national or have thai dependant children, because in that case you have many other options.

Thanks, wife is Philippine which offers its own set of complications

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Since you are flying back to US before 31 July and plan to come back in November, best and easiest way is NOT to apply now for a Non Imm O Visa and simply fly back.

While in US you can apply for a Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa, if the conditions of that Visa suit you (but it does require the mandatory health-insurance).

Alternatively you can just return to Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa.  And once in country apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension.  Or alternatively do a border-run once in country and apply for the 1-year ME Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the Penang or Savannekhet thai consulate.

Note: I presume you are NOT married to a Thai national or have thai dependant children, because in that case you have many other options.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Nobody knows what the requirements will be when the borders open and passenger flights into the country are allowed.

I don't think it will matter what type of visa you have then.

To apply for the non-o in Penang you will need to show the equivalent of 800k baht in a bank or proof of 65k baht income or both totaling 800k baht.

Thanks, I think the proof of 65,000 baht income has to be be notarized by the US Embassy, is that your understanding?

7 minutes ago, Jlop said:

Thanks, I think the proof of 65,000 baht income has to be be notarized by the US Embassy, is that your understanding?

The embassy will not notarize anything for proof of income now. Those ended in December of 2018.

The consulate in Penang might accept something from the SSA or your pension provider. It might also help to have a bank statement to show it going into your account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Alternatively you can just return to Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa. 

With the current situation in the USA, not sure if Thailand will allow Americans to enter. And there is no sign of the virus abating in the USA within a few months. Every day 20K infections and 1,000 deaths. 

The Thai consulate in Penang website does not list requirements for a non-immigrant O visa for reasons of retirement.  Is it actually available?

My OA visa expires in June, but I have permission to stay to the end of August, so I am looking at alternatives to avoid the health insurance by getting a non-immigrant O visa for retirement in a nearby embassy/consulate in early August.  Assuming the travel restrictions are lifted by then.

8 minutes ago, StevoLe said:

Is it actually available?

Yes

You will need to show 800k baht in a bank or proof of 65k baht income for both totaling 800k baht. You may also be asked for proof of retirement which can be a pension statement.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, StevoLe said:

The Thai consulate in Penang website does not list requirements for a non-immigrant O visa for reasons of retirement.  Is it actually available?

My OA visa expires in June, but I have permission to stay to the end of August, so I am looking at alternatives to avoid the health insurance by getting a non-immigrant O visa for retirement in a nearby embassy/consulate in early August.  Assuming the travel restrictions are lifted by then.

Yes, it is available and please note that proof of the 800K does not need to be in a thai bank-account.

In case you are looking for other alternatives to avoid the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance scam, I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, which does not require the thai IO-approved health-insurance scam.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum

On 5/22/2020 at 5:33 PM, Jlop said:

Does that mean I could leave in July and I would get a new period of stay when I come back in November? And then I could apply for the one-year extension of stay when I return in November

I do not believe you can get a Non-Imm-O Multi in the USA based on retirement.

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

You will need to show 800k baht in a bank or proof of 65k baht income for both totaling 800k baht. You may also be asked for proof of retirement which can be a pension statement.

Thanks Joe.

It is not listed as an available visa on the website, so it was a little confusing.  I will email the consulate before making any plans to get the latest requirements.

I have had 800k baht in a Thai bank account since April, so no problems with the financial requirements.    I am collecting US social security, so I would use that statement.

30 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, it is available and please note that proof of the 800K does not need to be in a thai bank-account.

In case you are looking for other alternatives to avoid the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance scam, I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, which does not require the thai IO-approved health-insurance scam.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum

Thanks Peter.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:47 AM, jacko45k said:

I do not believe you can get a Non-Imm-O Multi in the USA based on retirement.

Correct