Iran hails arms supply to Palestinians against 'tumor' Israel

snoop1130

Iran hails arms supply to Palestinians against 'tumor' Israel

By Parisa Hafezi

2020-05-22T105934Z_1_LYNXMPEG4L0X3_RTROPTP_4_IRAN-ISRAEL-KHAMENEI.JPG

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei delivers a live televised speech marking the annual Al-Quds Day (Jerusalem Day), in Tehran, Iran May 22, 2020. Official Khamenei Website/Handout via REUTERS

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran's Supreme Leader on Friday denounced Israel as a "tumor" to be eliminated and hailed Tehran's supply of arms to Palestinians, drawing swift condemnation from the United States and European Union.

Opposition to Israel is a core belief for Shi’ite-led Iran, which backs Palestinian and Lebanese Islamic militant groups opposed to peace with the Jewish state, which Tehran refuses to recognize.

"The Zionist regime (Israel) is a deadly, cancerous tumor in the region. It will undoubtedly be uprooted and destroyed," Iran's top authority, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said in an online speech.

The United States and European Union rejected the comments.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Twitter dismissed them as "disgusting and hateful anti-Semitic remarks" that did not represent the tradition of tolerance of ordinary Iranians.

EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said they were "totally unacceptable and represent a deep source of concern" and incompatible with the aim of a stable and peaceful Middle East.

Although leaders of Palestinian militant groups in Gaza, including Hamas and Islamic Jihad, have frequently praised Iran's financial and military support, Khamenei had not himself previously given public confirmation of Tehran's weapons supply.

"Iran realised Palestinian fighters' only problem was lack of access to weapons. With divine guidance and assistance, we planned, and the balance of power has been transformed in Palestine, and today the Gaza Strip can stand against the aggression of the Zionist enemy and defeat it," he said.

RALLIES CANCELLED

Senior Iranian officials have called repeatedly over the years for an end to the Jewish state, including by a referendum that would exclude a majority of its Jews while including Palestinians in the region and abroad.

"The proposal of referendum shows that West’s accusation of the resistance as antisemitic, which they keep repeating, is completely unfounded," Khamenei said.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called Iran "the most antisemitic regime on the planet" in an address during a Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem on Jan 23.

Khamenei was speaking on Quds Day, which uses the Arabic name for Jerusalem, held on the last Friday of the fasting month of Ramadan. The Quds event was started by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, late founder of Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Khamenei suggested global attention on the coronavirus crisis had helped obscure wrongs done to Palestinians. "The long-lasting virus of Zionists will be eliminated," he added.

Iran cancelled nationwide Quds Day rallies due to coronavirus. Iran is one of the most-affected countries in the region with 7,300 deaths and a total of 131,652 infections.

Khamenei also denounced what he called treason by "political and cultural mercenaries in Muslim countries" helping Zionists to downplay the Palestine issue, in an apparent reference to some Arab states including Iran's regional rival Saudi Arabia.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-22

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Jewish huh? Not Israeli? Very vocal of you. 

I realize that there are Arab Isrealis but they are not the occupiers and it is not my joke originally. ????

I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I’m sorry but what did you expect would happen when the trump plan basically gave netanyahu everything he wanted?

You thought the Iranian regime would just shrug it’s shoulders and walk away?

Because that’s what religiously intolerant regimes do isnt it, they never react. 

Oh wait...

You are a moron if you expected anything but this. 

Iran has had the same kind of pro genocide of Jews "Death to Israel" rhetoric for decades. While of course I agree that 45 and Pompeo and Bibi are horrible, but you can't really blame them for the Iranian rhetoric. 

Iran's goal (along with its cheerleaders including on this forum) is not about promoting needed reform of Israeli government policy. 

They're about wiping Israel out regardless.

Note the difference. It's really big. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Iran has had the same kind of pro genocide of Jews "Death to Israel" rhetoric for decades. While of course I agree that 45 and Pompeo and Bibi are horrible, but you can't really blame them for the Iranian rhetoric. 

Iran's goal (along with its cheerleaders including on this forum) is not about promoting needed reform of Israeli government policy. 

They're about wiping Israel out regardless.

Note the difference. It's really big. 

I have no sympathy for or any intention of justifying the bile and hate spewed by Iran’s religious elite, my point was purely aimed at pompeo’s actions and the ludicrous nature of his response.

He cannot have been surprised at this predictable rhetoric from Iran. 

• Like 1