Reclining seat on a flight

Sundown

Few months ago I was on a 7 hours flight (night flight) and few minutes after take off my wife reclined her seat. Behind us, the whole row was occupied by an American family of 3.

The woman asked us if we could not recline and we answered her that we will do it during the meals but not at all times. She went crazy, started insulting and called the hostess, who of course told her that we have all the right to recline our seats. At this point the man (probably 150kg) sat behind my wife and started shaking violently her seat until we had to ask help from the crew.

The whole thing ended because they were told that next time the captain would be involved but during all flight I had their kid behind kicking my seat (probably instructed from his terrible ineducated and ignorant parents).

In 20 years of flight it was the first time that this happened to me but I recall seeing the same exact thing on a flight and again it was an American involved.

So my question is, is in the USA less acceptable to recline seats than everywhere else in the world?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You answear was not! She want something and not get it! Many female have that attitude! More if be whit 150 kg man! Think her when man first take piece of sugar to find hes "richard" then woman goin under him!!! Maybe you get mad also!

• Confused 6
  • Haha 1

interesting that the guy shook your wife's seat and not yours. there was another case in the press recently when a man persistently shook the seat of a woman passenger in front of him, would he have done the same seat was occupied by a male? the airline in the situation were shocking in their defence of the female passenger.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/american-airlines-plane-seat-punch-recline-video-flight-a9333231.html

reclining a seat is normal and is to be expected, if you feel strongly about the seat in front of you not being reclined then arrange for a front row seat, and only fly when this is available.

• Like 1

Should not have to deal with mean spirited people on an airplane...

I have run into similar behavior in Thai theaters...loud talking on cell (alway female)...parents allowing children to bang on the back of seats and generally disregard the presence of other movie goers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Indeed and entitlement of space comes from turning left when one steps onboard but comes at a cost.  Otherwise it's slumming it in economy for bargain basement fares and enjoying all the humilities that come with it.  

You want cheap travel that's the price you have to pay, personally  I  think the room  allowed for passengers on  economy flights  should be made  illegal. I do travel business  class and never  economy for the last 10 years or so as found it too painful physically , leg cramps elbows  pinned in and the more selfish  attitude of people these  days  the ones who  liked to walk by holding onto your headrest or standing talking in the aisle to a friend for the entire  flight.

Business  class avoids most BUT NOT  ALL  of that, there are still some <deleted> in there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

While their behavior was unacceptable, It was no worst than the European family behind us sticking their feet though the seat back thinking they were going to use my arm rest to rest their feet, or the Indian I saw masturbating on an Emirates flight or any number of other things I have seen in 44 years of flying.

And no, II didn't glean from it that putting your feet on other people's arm rests was a "European thing" or that it was common for Indians to pleasure themselves in flight.

Kids kicking the backs of seats is pretty universal, although an observant parent should stop the kid from doing it ,many don't.

Lets face it, unless you are at the front end of the aircraft, and by that I mean the flight deck, its just the most  horrible method of travel. Even First Class on a long haul flight can be boring and exhausting, unless you in a Singapore Airlines A380 Suite.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Fortunately, the newer seat move forward so you reduce your own leg room when you recline.

There may be others, but I recall Cathay Pacific doing this and so many complained I don't think they repeated it.

https://crankyflier.com/2010/10/15/cathay-pacific-expected-to-replace-pain-inducing-coach-seats/

Edited by treetops

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Lets face it, unless you are at the front end of the aircraft, and by that I mean the flight deck, its just the most  horrible method of travel. Even First Class on a long haul flight can be boring and exhausting, unless you in a Singapore Airlines A380 Suite.  

With all due respect that's rubbish! most pilots are bored out of their tiny's shortly after take off! And how many 10-12 hour flights you think they do? So you travel first class all the time do you? When I travel business flat seat which generally I pay for, my reasoning is to get a good sleep on the flight and hopefully avoid jet lag. The original subject was about reclining the seats in steerage. People need to be respectful of the people in front and behind that's all I'm no geometrist,  but if both recline the seat surely the gap is the same?? And if you are too fat to be unable to occupy a seat without inconveniencing others next to you. Quite simply, either go on a. diet , pay for a seat that fits you or even better don't travel at all!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Here's a silly idea. Make ALL seats recline automatically after seat belt light goes out, go upright during meal, and back to recline until landing. And also, make the seat belt un-unlockable during descent until the aircraft has come to a complete standstill. Sorted. I know, silly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1