Reclining seat on a flight

Sundown

14 hours ago, Bramley said:

What would you do if they said no? Best not to ask imo.

I've actually had no one ever say no. Some years ago an older woman asked me to wait a while until she felt she could relax. After some time she tapped me on shoulder and gestured that I could now recline.

To be honest I don't know with certainty how I would react if the person behind me simply said "no" with no justification. But, as I noted, I find a bit of courtesy a helpful antidote to the stress of modern-day flying. 

Edited by ChristianBlessing
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would have said so sorry and put the seat up until the meal came ,

Then I would have rammed it back full power and acted as though the seat broke.

The seat would remain "stuck" in the position for the rest of the flight.

Mind you that's probably just me!

Edited by kwak250
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:05 PM, Sundown said:

So my question is, is in the USA less acceptable to recline seats than everywhere else in the world?

Where is the logic in this question? You ran across <deleted>.  So what?

• Thanks 1

There used to be smoking and non-smoking sections on planes. Why not reclining and non reclining sections? I personally am not a recliner and people who suddenly drop back full blast, give me the irrits. I use business these days on longer flights.

On some aircraft, it is very difficult to watch TV on the seat in front of you because of the design. The first models of the Boeing 787 Dreamliners delivered to Qatar Airways gave me a neck injury because you could not see the TV properly and use the neck support.

1 hour ago, Cats4ever said:

There used to be smoking and non-smoking sections on planes. Why not reclining and non reclining sections? I personally am not a recliner and people who suddenly drop back full blast, give me the irrits. I use business these days on longer flights.

I agree with Cats, anything over 2 hours is first or business for me.  When I did fly coach, though, I never reclined my seat unless the person behind me relined theirs, just out of courtesy.  I have a particular talent for sleeping while standing up, so sleeping in an upright seat is not a problem.

Edited by parallaxtech
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

I agree with Cats, anything over 2 hours is first or business for me.  When I did fly coach, though, I never reclined my seat unless the person behind me relined theirs, just out of courtesy.  I have a particular talent for sleeping while standing up, so sleeping in an upright seat is not a problem.

Of course you don't recline your seat, it's common courtesy. Everyone knows that passengers are packed in like sardines and space is non-existent. To have some inconsiderate anti-social me-only person push their seat in your lap so that you don't have an option but to recline yourself, increasing the misery for people behind you until some poor guy is stuck in the back without a reclining seat is just unnecessary,

Thankfully more and more people are now refusing to be selfish and simply don't recline. If someone is so selfish that they do so they deserve everything they get. What can be more annoying than seat recliners who put their comfort above everything else? Air travel is annoying enough, the last thing you need is these selfish space hogs. How are you supposed to eat, these people never put up their seats during meal times? It's the height of anti-social selfishness.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I got so fed up about the reclining seat issue plus given a very small space. I now only travel business class on international flights. I only travel once a year, the extra cost is well worth it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

At one time you could buy a small wedge that fitted into the rear of the seat in front of you

It prevented the seat from reclining

I believe the seats have been modified to overcome this object

that didn't last long... Do It and you will be booted off the flight (after the next landing) 

It was an instant road rage analogy in the making... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

I don't mind the person in front reclining their seat a bit but I hate it when they do it instantly, all the way back as soon as possible. You know it's going to be a long 10-13hr flight in that case. Makes it more difficult to have a gin and tonic, move out of the way for people wanting to stretch their legs and watch the entertainment system when it's bang in your face.

Stadtler laughs when people cast their blame in the wrong direction.  Don't blame the airline for scooching you, blame the poor <deleted> who wants to be more comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Of course you don't recline your seat, it's common courtesy. Everyone knows that passengers are packed in like sardines and space is non-existent. To have some inconsiderate anti-social me-only person push their seat in your lap so that you don't have an option but to recline yourself, increasing the misery for people behind you until some poor guy is stuck in the back without a reclining seat is just unnecessary,

Thankfully more and more people are now refusing to be selfish and simply don't recline. If someone is so selfish that they do so they deserve everything they get. What can be more annoying than seat recliners who put their comfort above everything else? Air travel is annoying enough, the last thing you need is these selfish space hogs. How are you supposed to eat, these people never put up their seats during meal times? It's the height of anti-social selfishness.

It's not really the height of antisocial selfishness is it?...  I mean, doing something that you're allowed to do in something designed to do it !!!!...  

Seat recliners obviously trigger your inner beast: Honest question for the purposes of the Ops question: Are you from the USA? (I'm just wondering, based on your answer above)

If there person in front of me reclines their seat, I find I have to recline mine just to have some space.

I will check behind me to see if the person is awake or not, or has anything on their tray etc, I'll let them know I;m going to recline my seat and do so [recline] gently.

I hate the people who 'slam' their seat back without a second thought, but I really don't mind those who recline their seat carefully with some consideration; its their right to recline their seat.

People should always put their seats upright for meal times. I find that if they don't, while the flight attendant is serving the food a simple 'hand gesture' gets them to ask the person in front to place their seat in the upright position.

Its inedible how such a minor topic becomes so emotive for some.

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

until some poor guy is stuck in the back without a reclining seat is just unnecessary,

Which planes don't have reclining seats on the last row?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which planes don't have reclining seats on the last row?

All seats before the emergency exit are not capable of reclining.

Over the last ten years or so many airlines have done everything they can to make the default flying experience as miserable as possible.  Corporate strategy to maximise profits.  Many now pay for "premium economy" which isn't far removed from what was once just called "economy."  Cramped conditions, lack of sleep, and a screaming baby or two are not the ideal combination to help people be at their best.  

Your neigbours were probably otherwise nice and regular people, but obviously not going to be comfortable with a guy that size in any row.  I'm tall and at minimum always shell out for extra legroom seats or turn up three hours early to maximise the chances of getting one.  Just a fact of life now that if you are over 180cm (probably less), or have a big frame, you very much have to have strategies in place to maximise the chances of a relatively comfortable flight, both for yourself and those nearby.

It is perfectly fine to recline your seat outside meal times, doing it slowly and politely. Lot of self righteous pr#cks travelling these days. Same happened to me once. Arab guy behind me started to kick my seat from behind . Told him to 'koff and once I stood up he stopped . Unfortunately this works only if you are bigger than him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its inedible how such a minor topic becomes so emotive for some.

How many of those who replied to this topic and think that reclining is selfish or needs some kind of permission from the person behind are from USA????? 

Stats say my initial question was not so odd.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

In relation to your last sentence I wonder whether you have ever flown business class ?

The airlines I fly with have fully flat bed seats that are staggered so that  you are not directly next to another passenger and a wide choice of food, wines etc at a time when I want it.

“ Marginally more comfortable or slightly better” far from it.

Agreed.  Totally different experience at the pointy end.  Good food, good sleep, arrive not stressed, relaxed and refreshed.  If it's a holiday, you're ready to get out and do stuff from the moment you land as opposed to needing a recovery day. Just got to decide whether that's worth paying 4 or 5 times the fare.

What an unspeakably horrific experience. Those Americans are truly a loathsome and despicable group of savages…every last one of them. Positively appalling that these degenerates are allowed to intrude upon polite society with such frightful impunity.

But the stern talking-to you gave this debauched and decadent cad has no doubt taught him a compelling lesson about foolishly trifling with proper and respectable people. He'll surely know better than to try his vile and reprehensible tricks again. Well done...these rascals deserve no mercy whatsoever.

At least over these past few difficult months you’ve been able to begin the long road to recovery from this dreadful nightmare. Congratulations and best of luck for continued success.   

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 1

I'm from the US. I do not mind if the passenger in front of me reclines their seat.

When I get up from my seat (say to go to the restroom or the galley for another drink), the passenger better not flinch when I bang into the headrest of the chair. That person should simply embrace the notion of karma.

That's how Americans do it. We f%%k with you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/22/2020 at 8:12 PM, richard_smith237 said:

just look at all those 'cop baiting' videos.

RIchard, really? I can't say I've ever seen a "cop baiting" video. With the assertive training they receive, you don't have to bait them. If you're not antifa with their mob around you they can pretty much chomp on anybody. ????????

On 5/22/2020 at 10:21 PM, Sujo said:

I dont ask, why give them the option to say no, but i look to make sure its clear before reclining, then do it gently. But i only recline if flight is about 2 hours or more.

Completely agree! I fly a lot internationally (well, not right now, haha) and while in cattle class, I do what you do. For short flights, there really is not much of a need to recline the seat. But for longer distances, absolutely. I don't know if the reaction of the people in question is 'typically American'. But I find that some passengers in economy have inflated ideas of what comforts they think they are entitled to. At the same time, it does irk me when passengers don't put their seats up without prompting by the flight attendants during meals, really a bit unreasonable.

• Like 1