Reclining seat on a flight

Sundown

On 5/22/2020 at 8:05 PM, Sundown said:

So my question is, is in the USA less acceptable to recline seats than everywhere else in the world?

No, there is not a "less acceptance in the USA to reclining seats"; although, they do seem to get more publicity regarding it. I was flying to Texas a couple of years ago on Qatar Air. A woman from the USA sat down in the seat in front of me, a slammed the seat back as soon as she sat down (still at the gate). I asked the flight attendant to resolve the situation, to which he replied that until the Captain turned on the seat belt sign he could do nothing about it. That woman put her seat up for take off, landing and meals, only. I was so glad she was not in front of me on the next leg to Houston. (she was on the flight).

I only took exception to her reclining the seat when she first boarded. I thought it rude.

You unfortunately got a rude person behind you and I think it is wrong to blame it on their nationality. (and you too Richard Smith)

On 5/22/2020 at 10:02 PM, ChristianBlessing said:

At 190 cm I too have more difficulty flying economy on most airlines. The airlines, to maximize profits, have reduced seat pitch from 10-12 cm over the past decade or so, and seat width by up to 30 cm. Sadly, unlike many of my age peers, I've not lost any height, although the same can't be said of my width.

I always ask the person behind me if I may recline my seat once the seat belt light is out; that courtesy alone does wonders. It allows the other passenger to "rearrange" themselves and more often than not they oblige. When asked in advance, it also allows the other passenger to object and explain why they would prefer that I not recline.

I am an American, I have traveled extensively on international flights, and I've not noticed any one nationality being more or less troublesome. I have noticed however that nearly everyone agrees that the airlines have done their damndest to make flying an uncomfortable experience for all passengers.

Agreed. I am fortunate being "vertically challenged". what I was making the midwest USA to Prague trip twice a year, I always got a window seat, and usually was able to curl up and go to sleep. Ironically, flying Eastward one trip, I was beat and used Skymiles to upgrade to Business Class. The only trip I could not sleep! No excuse for being rude toward others but no excuse for not complaining, using social media and other public means not to voice being unhappy with the service offered by the airline ... Yep, because I am an American perhaps.

I'm curious why they were assumed to be "American". I know many people who have an "American" accent that are not "American". A few have been some of the biggest a-holes I have ever known. 

Where they wearing MAGA hats? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

That’s the only consideration, but I made a decision many years ago that if we cannot travel at the front we don’t go.

Once you have turned left at the door it’s very hard to turn right !!

Haha, same same.  Do it once and you're ruined for life.

I always recline on a long flight but never the whole way back and try to do it as gently as possible.  I think some of the airlines should adjust the seat back pitch they have in economy so it doesn't recline too much.  

• Like 1

Just now, newnative said:

I always recline on a long flight but never the whole way back and try to do it as gently as possible.  I think some of the airlines should adjust the seat back pitch they have in economy so it doesn't recline too much.  

Yeah, the problem is that pitch. 

Not.

Stadtler laughs at this approach.  The problem isn't the recline, it's the distance to the seat. 

Stadtler doesn't understand how everyone gets it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's not really the height of antisocial selfishness is it?...  I mean, doing something that you're allowed to do in something designed to do it !!!!...  

Seat recliners obviously trigger your inner beast: Honest question for the purposes of the Ops question: Are you from the USA? (I'm just wondering, based on your answer above)

If there person in front of me reclines their seat, I find I have to recline mine just to have some space.

I will check behind me to see if the person is awake or not, or has anything on their tray etc, I'll let them know I;m going to recline my seat and do so [recline] gently.

I hate the people who 'slam' their seat back without a second thought, but I really don't mind those who recline their seat carefully with some consideration; its their right to recline their seat.

People should always put their seats upright for meal times. I find that if they don't, while the flight attendant is serving the food a simple 'hand gesture' gets them to ask the person in front to place their seat in the upright position.

Its inedible how such a minor topic becomes so emotive for some.

Which planes don't have reclining seats on the last row?

Seriously, it ruins a whole flight for someone. I've been many times on the receiving end of this, including one on the last row where you can't recline yourself. And of course the flight attendants don't really enforce putting seats up properly, so when it comes time to eat the seat is only half way up, and you're unable to eat in a civilised manner, it's one of the worst things about flying. Yes, often they pretend to do something if you ask, but the seat is still not really straight, it's just a hassle.

Yes, it's built into a seat, maybe this was introduced at a time when people were a lot smaller, or when they were more considerate, but there was a time when people would just go nuts with this, they'd recline all the way down without asking you. Thankfully now there's been a general change in attitude and many people won't recline at all. I'm one of those people, even on long haul flight I wouldn't recline, unless there's noone behind me. If I want to lie down I'll ask if there's a free row, but it's perfectly possible to sleep in a seat. 

No, I'm not from the USA, I'm European but I don't think this is a national thing. It could be some nationalities are more considerate than others, maybe, but it's just a common sense thing. There's hardly any space why screw the person over that's behind you.

It's just so unnecessary. If everyone could agree to act in a considerate way nobody would have to endure any of the considerable discomfort that this reclining selfishness brings, but there's always someone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

No, there is not a "less acceptance in the USA to reclining seats"; although, they do seem to get more publicity regarding it. I was flying to Texas a couple of years ago on Qatar Air. A woman from the USA sat down in the seat in front of me, a slammed the seat back as soon as she sat down (still at the gate). I asked the flight attendant to resolve the situation, to which he replied that until the Captain turned on the seat belt sign he could do nothing about it. That woman put her seat up for take off, landing and meals, only. I was so glad she was not in front of me on the next leg to Houston. (she was on the flight).

I only took exception to her reclining the seat when she first boarded. I thought it rude.

You unfortunately got a rude person behind you and I think it is wrong to blame it on their nationality. (and you too Richard Smith)

So what makes you think that is rude? You act as if the seat was reclining a foot toward you when it was a few inches at most!  She had it upright for take off , meals and landing which is correct. Sounds like you are actually rude. It’s ok to recline before the flight takes off all over the world. To think you actually got the cabin crew ( they are not flight attendants anymore and maybe THAT is your problem ) involved is just plain silly. You know it was probably going to be 15/20 minutes at most. You were completely wrong to start your flight off with so much drama. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If anyone here has had occasion to fly an American carrier, particularly domestically, well, let's just say they're far less comfortable than a Macdonalds. There's no legroom & only a boor would recline their seat. Even on very long flights, there's no need. Reclining six inches makes absolutely no difference to comfort. Besides, how would you like it if the bloke in front of you reclined his seat, causing a necessary chain reaction. Don't recline! Sheesh! Pick a fight over nothing...sad.

Edited by unblocktheplanet
addition
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Seriously, it ruins a whole flight for someone. I've been many times on the receiving end of this, including one on the last row where you can't recline yourself. And of course the flight attendants don't really enforce putting seats up properly, so when it comes time to eat the seat is only half way up, and you're unable to eat in a civilised manner, it's one of the worst things about flying. Yes, often they pretend to do something if you ask, but the seat is still not really straight, it's just a hassle.

Yes, it's built into a seat, maybe this was introduced at a time when people were a lot smaller, or when they were more considerate, but there was a time when people would just go nuts with this, they'd recline all the way down without asking you. Thankfully now there's been a general change in attitude and many people won't recline at all. I'm one of those people, even on long haul flight I wouldn't recline, unless there's noone behind me. If I want to lie down I'll ask if there's a free row, but it's perfectly possible to sleep in a seat. 

No, I'm not from the USA, I'm European but I don't think this is a national thing. It could be some nationalities are more considerate than others, maybe, but it's just a common sense thing. There's hardly any space why screw the person over that's behind you.

It's just so unnecessary. If everyone could agree to act in a considerate way nobody would have to endure any of the considerable discomfort that this reclining selfishness brings, but there's always someone.

You must be large to post such nonsense. You are the cause of this by your own statement that people should not recline on an entire flight! Where do you get this insane idea from? Why did you book the last row? Maybe you should skip the meal for obvious reasons. The world should not have to bend over backwards for large people on airplanes. You have other options in every single flight you take. Bulkhead and front rower seats come to mind as does a better class of service.  You are wrong here and you probably get yourself all worked up about what is ultimately going to happen on EVERY flight you take. The person in front will recline. It’s also a couple inches and your post makes it sound like a foot as well!  It’s not!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

If anyone here has had occasion to fly an American carrier, particularly domestically, well, let's just say they're far less comfortable than a Macdonalds. There's no legroom & only a boor would recline their seat. Even on very long flights, there's no need. Reclining six inches makes absolutely no difference to comfort. Besides, how would you like it if the bloke in front of you reclined his seat, causing a necessary chain reaction. Don't recline! Sheesh! Pick a fight over nothing...sad.

Pure silliness. Everyone could and should recline and most planes are less than 6 inches. Where do you get this notion from that no one should recline ?  You are a catalyst of these instances in flights not the recliner 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, samsensam said:

or simply recline your seat and have exactly the same about of space as if un-reclined.

That does not solve the issue, you can't eat in that position, you're permanently forced into a very uncomfortable reclining position. You even have to adjust your tv screen because the angle is all out of whack because you have to recline because some selfish inconsiderate person decided that shoving his seat in your face makes him more comfortable.

No, it won't do. If you recline in my face - IT'S ON! 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Sundown said:

How many of those who replied to this topic and think that reclining is selfish or needs some kind of permission from the person behind are from USA????? 

Stats say my initial question was not so odd.

The user with one of the most caustic responses was German I believe.

• Like 2

On a night flight it should be perfectly reasonable to recline your seat. At other times I do not recline seat unless the person in front of me does so which gives a claustrophobic feeling for me. The airlines are really to blame by putting seats so close together. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Logosone said:

That does not solve the issue, you can't eat in that position, you're permanently forced into a very uncomfortable reclining position. You even have to adjust your tv screen because the angle is all out of whack because you have to recline because some selfish inconsiderate person decided that shoving his seat in your face makes him more comfortable.

No, it won't do. If you recline in my face - IT'S ON! 

You are owning up to being prepared to escalate and 'create a situation' because a seat has been reclined.

(if that's what you mean by 'IT'S ON') in doing so you present yourself as being somewhat mentally unstable which I'm quite sure isn't true.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with someone reclining their seat, you are in public and would be protesting against someone else who is in the right (they have the right to recline their seat 'gently' on a flight).

I just don't get how such a 'first world problem' can get some so upset, people really can't be this thin skinned can they?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

On a night flight it should be perfectly reasonable to recline your seat. At other times I do not recline seat unless the person in front of me does so which gives a claustrophobic feeling for me. The airlines are really to blame by putting seats so close together. 

The customer is also complicit in demanding cheaper air-fares. If the customer doesn't want the seats so close together they can fly Premium Economy (or business class). If the customer is making the choice solely on price, they really shouldn't complain about higher density seating.

I generally do not recline my seat, for the very reasons its discussed in this thread; i.e. I don't want to impose on the space of the person seating behind me. However, if the person in front has reclined their seat, mine will have to go back too.

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are owning up to being prepared to escalate and 'create a situation' because a seat has been reclined.

(if that's what you mean by 'IT'S ON') in doing so you present yourself as being somewhat mentally unstable which I'm quite sure isn't true.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with someone reclining their seat, you are in public and would be protesting against someone else who is in the right (they have the right to recline their seat 'gently' on a flight).

I just don't get how such a 'first world problem' can get some so upset, people really can't be this thin skinned can they?

No the person that has created the "situation" is the one who has shoved his seat in your face.

This selfish, inconsiderate provocateur has to then accept there will be consequences.

As for your remote distance psychological evaluation I can assure you I am mentally perfectly stable. 

The person who is reclining the seat is not in the right, they are clearly in the wrong, they are selfish, inconsiderate and creating a 'situation' as you say.

It's polite, considerate and the right thing to do not to recline. To shove a seat in someone's face is not right. It's very wrong.

If there were an ashtray in the seat handle, it wouldn't be right to smoke, would it? Smoking next to someone would be a massive imposition and inconsiderate. Shoving your seat in someone's face is also a massive imposition and inconsiderate. 

7 minutes ago, Mayhem11 said:

I hate flying but the rudeness of most of the flying public astounds me.

It's the rudeness and lack of consideration, everyone knows there's hardly any space for anyone.

Yet off they go and shove their seat in your face as if they had all space in the world. 

At your expense of course.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/23/2020 at 12:26 AM, northsouthdevide said:

I notice there's a few fattist and Americanist comments on this thread... 

Apart from that,

Reclining your seat is perfectly normal on a long flight, and anyone who complains, has issues with social interaction, and / or never flown before. 

Just your bad luck to have been seated in front of them. 

It’s because a large majority of Americans are lunatics ????????‍♂️

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 1

Sundown, it's plain to see that your not a frequent traveler. I commute from from Bangkok to London, thats 11 return flights each year. So there is nothing i dislike more than to be sat in front of inconciderate passengers like you & your family. I don't suppose the passengers in front of you had their seats back, now you've more room than the poor people behind you.  This is 2020 & the "Golden Era of Flying" was about 40 yrs ago. I don't suppose it ever entered your mind that some body behind you might want to read a book, or catch up with work on their laptop. But cannot because of your lack of respect for fellow passengers. Stop moaning sunshine "your Bang out of order".

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Finally someone with sense.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I would have said so sorry and put the seat up until the meal came ,

Then I would have rammed it back full power and acted as though the seat broke.

The seat would remain "stuck" in the position for the rest of the flight.

Mind you that's probably just me!

Being rude to rude people just validates their rudeness, and makes one no better than the other.

• Like 2