BANGKOK
Sundown

Reclining seat on a flight

7 hours ago, eyup said:

"The only reason, obviously enough for most people, that seats are bolt upright for taking off and landing, is that it is easier to get in and out, thus safer."

Totally wrong! The reason seats have to be in the upright (locked) position for t/o and landing is that should there be a. crash landing the seats will not collapse!

Yes, your response is totally wrong..........

https://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8400.10 Air Transp Ops Insp Handbk/Volume 3. AIR OPERATOR TECHNICAL ADMINISTRATION/Vol 3-Chap 16-Sec 3.htm

7 hours ago, eyup said:

"The only reason, obviously enough for most people, that seats are bolt upright for taking off and landing, is that it is easier to get in and out, thus safer."

Totally wrong! The reason seats have to be in the upright (locked) position for t/o and landing is that should there be a. crash landing the seats will not collapse!

You are wrong.

"// Administration set the upright seat rule for two main reasons: it makes it easier to evacuate the plane in the case of an emergency and it can help limit injuries."

From Google, or here.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

You are wrong.

"// Administration set the upright seat rule for two main reasons: it makes it easier to evacuate the plane in the case of an emergency and it can help limit injuries."

From Google, or here.

I am not wrong. I own up to being guilty ! (I have a slight bit of inside knowledge) I was a flight attendant for 25 years.

So, to  elaborate on your article 

"There are two main reasons why flight attendants pester people to keep those seats up—to keep injuries to a minimum during a crash and to clear the maximum amount of space for a quick exit.

The science is pretty basic, as explained by Brian Manning, a flight attendant for Mesa Airlines. "When the seat is up, it is locked. When the seat is back, it's not locked. In the event of an emergency, an unlocked seat has more force during impact, and the thrusting forward of that seat can cause passenger injury."

Like a catapult, the farther back the seat, the greater distance your head would travel during an impact, and the more force would be generated. Those three inches can add to the whiplash effect".

Which is also the reason seats near or by an emergency exit (usually overwing). are locked and do not have. a recline facility.

Edited by eyup
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 8:59 PM, impulse said:

You may have been perfectly within your rights to recline the seat, but the airlines have made that pretty miserable for the people behind you over the last 20 years.  Seat pitches have gotten ridiculous, to the point that anyone taller than average is going to have their knees driven into the seat in front even when it's not reclined.

Before I started traveling international, I never even thought before reclining my seat.  So in my experience, Americans are no worse than the typical western traveler in demanding rights that they don't have. 

Of course, the family behind could have ponied up a few hundred extra $$$ for economy plus seating, where there's a few more inches of legroom.  Or business class where they could spend an additional $100 per hour to sit in a marginally more comfortable seat with slightly better (but still airline quality) meals.

I'm 6' 2" and yes in most standard economy seating configurations my knees are driven in to the seat in front and a fully reclined seat in front leaves me trapped unless I have an aisle seat. A safety issue? So yes, I pay more, much more, to travel business with flatbed seat. Economy plus is just about bearable if I can't afford business.. in my opinion economy plus should be the basic configuration. What is called standard economy at the moment is, frankly, truly cattle class on longhaul flights. Perhaps Covid will produce this result! 

First thing I do when I get to my seat is to take all the airline magazines etc out of the pocket and put them up above.  Gives a couple of inches extra legroom, useful when person in front does recline

• Haha 1

I'm 6'2" and I think economy on Eva's B777 service BKK-TPE-LAX is not that bad.

I do miss United's service at BKK, the B787 service to LAX was great, and a gold card automatically let you book into premium economy for economy price...

Don't miss it as much as the TG nonstop BKK-LAX back when I was flying business on the company nickel...

Once i was on an Emirates flight in the A380...i reclined my chair and suddenly the airhostess came to me and asked if i would move it straight up again because the passenger behind me had complained to her..i told her that i wouldn't do it, only during dinners. The Thai boy behind me was angry and asked her for another chair, which he got...He wasn't fat at all so i don't understand why he had to ask about it.

• Like 1

Didn't you know who he was!

I have been on many 12 hour flight's .  I'm not a fan  of  seat reclining !  I hope social distancing takes away your right to put back your seat  and take it away from my face

• Sad 1

I'm 6'4" and coach class travel isn't fun. I find that most Asians, even the short, skinny ones that have more than enough space already, like to slam their seat back into full recline as soon as they can.

Rant over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I'm 6'4" and coach class travel isn't fun. I find that most Asians, even the short, skinny ones that have more than enough space already, like to slam their seat back into full recline as soon as they can.

Rant over.

Thanks I thought it was just me who felt that way

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Don't miss it as much as the TG nonstop BKK-LAX back when I was flying business on the company nickel...

Even coach on those A340-600's was luxurious as the plane needed so much fuel (4-burner), they could only take maybe 70% passenger load tops and even the coach seat pitch was around 36".

The downside was LAX.