What ever became of the Thai Stallion CT400???

Several years ago...Thai Stallions (125-400cc) were all the rage especially the CT-400 (being 50% the cost of the Yamaha 400cc)...the streets were wild with their loud exhaust and everyone and their second cousin either had one or was planning on getting one...the last real reviews were from 2016-18 and now, NOTHING?

You hardly see any of them out-and-about anymore and they usually are the 125-150cc models...

What happened...?

I see their Facebook page is active but, I don't see many out on the road(s) any more...

Their prices seem to have remained the same with the CT-400 remaining @ about 115,000B...

No new reviews...but, then again...no complaints either...

How strange?

Still interested as the CT-400 (the white tanked model) is a dead ringer (well from a distance) for my 1968 CB-450 Honda...

So if anyone with the inside "gimme" and willing to take a moment to share what'z up with the Stallion; I would deeply appreciate the kindness.

Please let me know if I should just walk on by or run up and put my money down...

Also...their 250cc V-twin seems rather cool looking in the brochure photos...any good?

Thanks!!!

I guess they don't last very long, so you don't see many about... lol

But honestly I only see a few lower cc Stallions, not many 250 or 400, I guess they are not practical like scooters for Thais, more of a second bike, and that is too expensive for average Thai as second bike. Farang stay away from this lot, so not many about...

If I were you I would for sure try to test drive one before buying, you really need to feel the ride and engine ( specially vibration) before buying something like this..., and that is very subjective...!

Edited by Agusts

On 5/22/2020 at 9:34 PM, Freddie G said:

I see their Facebook page is active but, I don't see many out on the road(s) any more...

Their prices seem to have remained the same with the CT-400 remaining @ about 115,000B...

No new reviews...but, then again...no complaints either...

Too expensive compared to a Honda 150cc.

They should be the same price (or near enough).

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Too expensive compared to a Honda 150cc.

They should be the same price (or near enough).

Yes,  I think most Thais prefer that, and so many used ones available at even lower price,  and they hold their value and so popular... , as for a race, CBR150 could compete with any Stallion,  well I'm guess...!? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this , I think its called BE400, a bit lighter seat and different styling at from Stallion at lower special price

(forget BE400, it's CT400, lost ìn translation...)

Screenshot_20200602-180214.png

Edited by Agusts

A lot of hot air about nothing really,  nothing new, just some new styling...  ! 

I doubt if all this 10 year anniversary is going to make any difference,  they should design and manufacture new bikes, better engine and quality....

3 hours ago, Agusts said:

A lot of hot air about nothing really,  nothing new, just some new styling...  ! 

I doubt if all this 10 year anniversary is going to make any difference,  they should design and manufacture new bikes, better engine and quality....

Nothing new? It's their new website - they haven't had a functioning one for a long time so that much is new and improved.

New styling - yes, but then most manufacturers use their website to promote 'new models' that are nothing of the sort, except for a new paint job.

"10 Year Anniversary" makes it a young company who might, in future, go on to new levels. How long has it taken Royal Enfield (India) to get to the level it's at today? It's taken a long time for them to get engines that are now allowing them to expand their sales by, it seems, significant amounts.

I've had my Stallions 250 for 3 years now. It was the only bike I could find at that time that fulfilled my needs. Small capacity because I ride 95% of my longish trips on not-very-good Isaan backroads, simple and easy to work on at home, cheap so that I wouldn't make too much fuss if something broke (only speedo cable so far), no wasted performance capabilities that I don't need in my vicinity, good and cheap spares back-up; just yesterday I received some parts two days after I ordered them on LINE - eat your heart out Thailand Ducati owners who, I've heard, must sometimes wait months for their spare parts (BTW I was a big 1960s/70s Ducati owner and fan in UK).

My Stallions serves my needs and, because of that, it's a far better bike for me than, say, a Ducati Streetfighter V4, but obviously not for everyone.

I do like them to succeed as a Thai company and I hope they can improve their sales and open more dealerships around the country,  but with what they have now its hard for them to compete with others, they have to come up with something special - maybe a twin cylinder engine of any size might separate them from the Chinese and give them some exposure, I thought they were going to come up with something like that today....(of course they need to buy such engine from someone and build a bike around it).

I like their 400, with some refinement it could be a nice bike..., but still a single with lots of vibration I can imagine.

11 hours ago, Agusts said:

maybe a twin cylinder engine of any size might separate them from the Chinese

Given that they source a lot from China, seperating themselves from the chinese offerings isn't so easy ????

Had my Stallions Scrambler 400 for a couple years without any mechanical problems. The 400 is a direct copy of the old Honda 500 except being carbureted it is fuel injected. Made by Shineray the biggest motorcycle engine company in China.

IMGP0008.JPG

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Here is a competition to Stallion CT400, from Benelli, depending on the price of course - if they look at Yamaha SR400 and price it that way, then forget it...!

I see estimated price in India is Rs. 2.2 lakh = 90,000 baht.

Just now, eisfeld said:

The Benelli. Couldn't find the relevant specs on the Stallion website.

Yeah the Benelli is a bit shy on power but is within ballpark of this style of bike.

Stallion CT400  -  19.5kW/30Nm

Yamaha SR400 - 16.7kW/27.4Nm

Benelli Imperial 400 – 15.5kW/29Nm

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

Thanks for posting the specs! I guess being air cooled and super low tech takes its toll.

At least the Stallion and Benelli look like great value next to the overpriced Yamaha ????

Absolutely, the Yammie is a great bike but way over priced compared to the 2 chinese bikes.

Just talking on another forum and someone mentioned a CB400F from the seventies,  I checked the spec,  4 cylinders, 37HP (27.5kw) , now that is quite something for 4 decades ago...????

It's all about economics these days, if they want they can choose high spec materials  and tune it for more power, but that means lower profit...!

8 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah the Benelli is a bit shy on power but is within ballpark of this style of bike.

Stallion CT400  -  19.5kW/30Nm

Yamaha SR400 - 16.7kW/27.4Nm

Benelli Imperial 400 – 15.5kW/29Nm

The peak power of the Benelli is at 5,500 RPM , and peak torque is at 4,500 RPM compared to 7,000 and 5,500 on the Shineray/Stallion.

11 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

The peak power of the Benelli is at 5,500 RPM , and peak torque is at 4,500 RPM compared to 7,000 and 5,500 on the Shineray/Stallion.

Which could mean a number of things. It could mean the Benelli has more torque down low than the Stallion. But it doesn't have to, it could also mean that the Stallion has a flatter curve. That's why looking at these power/torque @ RPM spec numbers while kinda useful, doesn't tell the whole story.

If the Stallion makes its max 30Nm @ 5500 RPM and that's the point where the Benelli makes it's max HP then the Stallion would make about 50% more power at that RPM.

Now that again could mean the Benelli is much more happy at low RPMs. But doesn't have to, maybe it just has a super narrow band of usable RPMs.

Only riding them will tell the true story.

• Thanks 1

I think ( without the proof of any dyno charts ) the Benelli is a lower revving engine. These types of bikes have  fairly flat power/torque graphs. Jawa do a similar liquid cooled 350cc bike , with much higher power , at higher revs.

On 6/12/2020 at 1:36 PM, Issanman said:

I was at the Royal Enfield dealership picking up my new plate, anyway they also sell Benelli's and the had this new one pictured. Looks nice, could be a fun bike. It's a RE Classic 48 knock off. 

• Like 1