Nong Khai To Chiang Mai On Motorcycle. Rent? Journey? Guideance Please!

Hello,

My Thai Wife's homeland is west of Tha Bo, which is west of Nong Khai.  We spend a lot of time there, from our condo in BKK.  Years ago on Mainland USA, I rode a Honda Shadow Aero (1100cc) many times each week all over West Texas, and I took the Honda 3-day professional motorcycle handling course.  Excellent Training as I am very comfortable on a bike. 

Now, I want to explore Issan areas and west -- but on a motorcycle.

* Is there a reputable rental place in Nong Khai?

* Any experience riding in the Northeast part of Thailand?   Maybe go down to KK and over to Khao Kho?

* Specifically, how long should I plan to ride to Nong Khai to Chiang Mai?  Where to hotel-up?  What to see?

* Even Better -- is there, possibly, a motorcy Club in ISSAN somewhere?  I love to ride with others, too.

Please share your experiences and pictures if you have any.  I'd love to hear of your knowledge.  Tell some stories, too!!!

I'm planning now for the end of the year, if Thailand continues to open-up the country and control the Virus.

Thank You and Best Wishes for continued good health,

Steve

Great ride!

From Nong Khai i would drive along the Mekhong ( route 211 ), amazing scenery and a few places worth seeing, some viewpoints and temples etc. Take this route until Chiang Khan and spend the night ( or more ) nice little walking street with loads of food and some nice seafood places on the river.

From there i'd take route 201 out of CK and turn when you get to route 21 and go up through Phu Ruea national park, also very nice, follow route 21 until you get to Lom Sak and then turn right to Khao Kho / Phu Ta Burk etc, maybe spend a night somewhere up the mountain, weather should be perfect at the time you suggest.

After Khao Kho quite a few options for getting to CM, depends how many days you want it to take. Once down the mountain turn right to Uttradit on route 11 until that'll take you north, place worth looking at IMO are Phrae / Nan / Phayoa. Or instead of heading north have a look around Sukhothai / Tak / Mae Sot ( border with Myanmar ).

Options are endless, be sure and take some warm cloths if you're an early riser.

Enjoy!

Oh - i'd forget about Isaan for biking, very flat & very boring IMO.

Edited by HashBrownHarry
  • Thanks 1

Hey ... thank you very much.  I'm writing down in my small black book the directions you gave.  I'll peruse the Internet and take a look at what you said.  Sounds like good advice.

Thank you again, stay safe and healthy and smart, and best wishes to you and your FAM.

Steve

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SteveInBKKandMAUI said:

Hey ... thank you very much.  I'm writing down in my small black book the directions you gave.  I'll peruse the Internet and take a look at what you said.  Sounds like good advice.

Thank you again, stay safe and healthy and smart, and best wishes to you and your FAM.

Steve

Let me know if you need any more info.