Current governmental electricity/water rate?

ThLT

19 hours ago, treetops said:

Was your condo empty between mid January and mid February when the Feb bill arrived?  From comparing to mine, you used 41 units in February's bill period compared to 327 in this month's.  I'm winning on this as my place was empty for over 2 weeks, but yours seems even more of a drop.

As my mom passed away in early January, I was most of the month of January in Germany. Post mortem, she made me this gift of a very low electricity bill.

Edited by xxeo

I've asked a number of Thai people their per unit price for electricity, and they are all charged 8 baht/unit. Apparently, apartments/rooms and condos/houses aren't in the same category, and so landlords can charge what they want.

Anyone have information about this?

Edited by ThLT

The law changed in 2018 so many of the news links are dead ????

I can't find the exact legal wording but my understanding is that if the landlord owns more than 5 (or maybe 6) units he cannot add more than 20% to the price of power or water.

Note that it's 20% on top of the price he is paying, which may well be higher than the domestic rate if he has an industrial/business tariff.

As a rough guess, anything over about 6 Baht a unit could be illegal.

The question is, is it worth arguing about? The immediate effect of the law change was that rents went up to compensate for the reduced income from power and water.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThLT said:

I've asked a number of Thai people their per unit price for electricity, and they are all charged 8 baht/unit. Apparently, apartments/rooms and condos/houses aren't in the same category, and so landlords can charge what they want.

Anyone have information about this?

You can read about the law changes at the link below. In my experience it was like this - they charged me 8 Baht a unit and on top of it I had an old aircon using a lot of power and an old fridge also using a lot of power. So I got punished two times -> the high rate and the power hungry devices. In the meantime I have my own condo and pay less than 4 Baht per unit. I think best is to avoid landlords with high surcharges. Then you know your real rent and perhaps have better devices. 

https://www.rentbangkokapartments.com/new-rental-laws-thailand/

• Like 1