Part-Time long termers - share your experiences

ericdk

Hello everyone,

I've lived in Thailand long term years ago, but now I live back home. I've wanted to go back to Thailand again for years, not only as a tourist, but not as a long termer either. I guess that leaves "part time". Maybe a 2-4 months a year? Maybe 50-50?

I'd like to hear from those of you who have been coming to Thailand for many years on and off, spending more time than the regular tourist. Do you rent or buy? Do you have a girlfriend/partner you visit each time? Where do you stay, what's the best place to stay part time?

Share your experience as a long term part-timer.

Edited by ericdk
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

unless you have permanent residency, or citizenship, we are all 'part timers'. It's the nature of the visa and extension of stay system here. So the answer to your question from various posters here, if they even bother to answer,  will be 'every personal circumstance that you can think of'.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Why do you want to stay in Thailand at all?

Because of the climate, the girls, or what?

And what can you afford?

1 hour ago, ericdk said:

Where do you stay, what's the best place to stay part time?

You should have a good idea where you want to stay. In Pattaya or in a village up country?

In a house with garden or an apartment?

Then the question is if you can afford what you want and maybe what are cheaper alternatives.

I think much better to rent a condo there will be some good deals out there now, you have nothing to worry about it's all inclusive when it's time to leave no worries just say good bye, see you next year.

As for pussy rent it bye the day dont need to have any excess baggage

Location, I lived for 2 years in Sukhumvit Soi 2 great location can walk everywhere no need for a car, if you need a car just rent one for a couple of days, 

Also not that far from the airport if you want to take a couple of trips 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd rather stay in Cambodia, only my baggage keeps me here.

I can't imagine why anyone without a house/women/kids is wanting to come here, it ain't that great anymore.

I could name 3 countries that are more convenient, and easier to stay in ........ or were before COVID.

Is a farang retiree allowed to own a car in any of your 3 better-than-Thailand countries? If so, please name the countries. 

For the last 10 years, I have spent the winter in Thailand and the summer in Denmark. I live in Copenhagen, and it is very easy to find people to rent my apartment for the six months I am away. The rent pays my rent in Thailand and the flights; thus, it does not cost me extra to stay in Thailand.

Insurance is extra, but living expenses are less. I do not drink, and I do not rent company.

If you are Danish, you are welcome to send me a PM for Danish related questions.

• Like 2

Yes 50/50 is the way to do it in my opinion, I would hate to stay in Thailand on a permanent basis. 
I love to travel and in one year I stay a few months in Europe, up to 6 months in Thailand, and a few months somewhere else in SE Asia.

I also work as freelancer and pay my taxes in my home country, so I try to avoid staying in Thailand more than 6 months at a time. The good thing about Thailand is the cheap rent, so you can pay for a nice condo for 12 months without having to live there the whole year. 

51 minutes ago, shy coconut said:
3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

After getting unwanted  airport interrogations and complicated made visa extensions i no longer go there.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

That's a bit alarming [unwanted interrogations] - though, wouldn't any interrogation be unwanted? !!!

I do wonder what Destiny1990 is referring to. Has he been asked 'what is your purpose of travel?' once,  Who even asks this at an Airport upon departure. In the UK we don't even pass immigration upon exit, there's just security check to confirm the boarding pass and and name on passport.

Or, has Destiny1990 been taken to a separate room and questioned for 40mins every time he departs his country for Thailand? and if so, why him and not lots of other people.

Something very strange about his post.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ericdk said:

I'd like to hear from those of you who have been coming to Thailand for many years on and off, spending more time than the regular tourist. Do you rent or buy? Do you have a girlfriend/partner you visit each time? Where do you stay, what's the best place to stay part time?

I was doing "on and off" for a number of years before I decided to settle permanet here.

If you have the money, Thailand is a great place to stay, but it's not as cheap as some older books describe it; if you have limited budget, other places might be interesting to check out.

Visa vise you can do it with multiple entry tourist visa, which gives you 60-days plus 30 days extension, followed by a so-called visa-run to a neighboring country – a short holiday – or a trip home, and then reenter for another 60 + 30 days; all together up to half a year in Thailand. There are other options like "retirement visa" O-A or O-X, if you are 50+ years old, or an Elite Card.

Do you rent or buy?

I rented, and after a while I had long term rent, so I could leave anything here till next time; just like having a summer house in one's home-country. My advise is rent; don't buy anything, before you have a long term plan for staying here, and already tested a number of areas, and tried to stay in the country for some longer period(s).

Do you have a girlfriend/partner you visit each time?

Not always – "pay and play" is a great option – but later yes, a girlfriend, and by now still the same.

Where do you stay, what's the best place to stay part time?

That is really depending of your interest and what you expect. For me a beach destination was, and is, preferred – but moving around is also an option with many possibilities, and very advisable to learn various places to know, I did that – I finally settled by a beach on an island, after coming back to that same place several times, realizing that it was better suited for me than the other places I visited.

I have home-country friends doing 50/50 and they are very happy with that; either enjoying summer back home, or working during the summer at home, making enough to skip the cold and dark winter time.

????

• Like 2

I live in the UK but generally have been spending five months in the winter and return for a month in the summer.
I get a Multi entry tourist for the winter and visa exempt for the summer.
I have annual travel insurance, most companies only allow a maximum of six months overseas, mine included.
I rent an apartment for the year, to justify this, I get a discount of two months and get to keep the creature comforts that I have purchased along with my clothing and cooking facilities. It still costs me two months rental for this convenience.
I don't have a girlfriend now, had one in the past nuf said.

Finally, I stay in Pattaya, the east side of Third Road which is an order cheaper than Buckhao area but within walking distance to BigC, Central Festival and Beach Road.
This has worked for me in the past, who knows what the future holds.
I hope this helps

• Like 2

I’ve spent most of 35 years renting throughout the European winters. I also travel in South and middle America . I started off on Phuket, which was a little paradise then. I loved it, and my Thai friends. I was lucky to  have a beautiful condo belonging to a Thai American journalist. Near the beach. I had my own landline,Fax,  tv, washing machine  and super kitchen etc. Then... they built a new alley alongside the condo with bars and restaurants etc, and one smelly kitchen right in front of my living room blocking my Mountain View’s. Gutted. So I moved to another condo, not as nice, but a fab pool and lovely neighbors. Enjoyed my time there.Then they built an estate in front of my condo, hundreds of condos and small houses, 3 roads, the noise !!!  So, moved to Hua Hin .( I was angry) Nice condo, freezing pool, and I was bored stiff. Moved to Jomtien. Had two nice condos, left my stuff there over the hot season in a storage room. Eventually got fed up of the Russians, then came the Chinese, road jams, pollution, the rising baht, and finally the Covid 19. So I’ve decided to change direction, maybe some Caribbean islands , and if I’m missing Thailand, a week in Bangkok , a week on Phuket to visit my friends and 2 weeks on Koh Chang. No more condo or long stay in Thailand . The main thing I’ve learnt, never to buy a condo or property there. 

• Like 2

Myself I used to do 4 months here 4 months home had gf she would run to her bf the minute I  left , I never knew 5 years , everybody in Moobaan si nice but no one ever said a word til after break , she said her and her bf were like glue never seen without each other , I would never have another gf wait me like that again , get a new gf  every time you come , Please , She was incredible actress should of been in Hollywood 

Edited by Ireland32
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd rather stay in Cambodia, only my baggage keeps me here.

I can't imagine why anyone without a house/women/kids is wanting to come here, it ain't that great anymore.

I could name 3 countries that are more convenient, and easier to stay in ........ or were before COVID.

You can name ,Cambo is  nice ???

7 hours ago, Donga said:

Doing 50/50 Hua Hin Sydney and moving towards 65/35 as tired of Sydney smug righteousness, rules and values etc and prefer Hua Hin lifestyle. Hash, runs along beach with Thai partner and yummy food are hard to beat. 

Some extra costs due to duplication and airfares as tend to do 2-3 month stints. Two br townhouse with manicured gardens and 20 metre pool cost $100k and prefer to renting smallish condos. Besides my partner and uni daughter live there. 

Townhouse is in my name and we went halves in used Honda Jazz. She still has her motor bike to get to work and I have a bicycle for local shopping. 

I’m self funded retiree but certainly not wealthy. My partner is wonderful and not greedy ????

How much is the hash and is it good quality?

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That's a bit alarming [unwanted interrogations] - though, wouldn't any interrogation be unwanted? !!!

I do wonder what Destiny1990 is referring to. Has he been asked 'what is your purpose of travel?' once,  Who even asks this at an Airport upon departure. In the UK we don't even pass immigration upon exit, there's just security check to confirm the boarding pass and and name on passport.

Or, has Destiny1990 been taken to a separate room and questioned for 40mins every time he departs his country for Thailand? and if so, why him and not lots of other people.

Something very strange about his post.

The exodus started with all these foreigners doing a thai language study they probably were having enough with the ongoing tighter rules, then the oil platform guys relocated due to visa 1 month on 1 month of complications , then the border runners had to stop and then finally the expats are packing up..

reasons? Mostly Visas & insurances , i always got told by some supervisor at airport that i was very lucky to be let in because my visa wasn’t aplied in advance and my return ticket date wasn’t correct and why i came already again after only 10 months my last visit ?? this or that whatever..

So why did they all left while in 2012 everybody was in a hurry to coming in ?? soccer schools were full with dadies watching their loek krung play football Nowadays these soccer clubs do nolonger even exist. Am i making all this up? 

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

Visa vise you can do it with multiple entry tourist visa, which gives you 60-days plus 30 days extension, followed by a so-called visa-run to a neighboring country – a short holiday – or a trip home, and then reenter for another 60 + 30 days; all together up to half a year in Thailand. There are other options like "retirement visa" O-A or O-X, if you are 50+ years old, or an Elite Card.

On an METV (MultipleEntry TouristVisa) you can stay almost 9 months in Thailand, when doing a border-run just before your 6 month Visa validity date expires, then being stamped in again for a 60-day permission to stay which can be extended with 30 days.

Obviously you cannot use METVs continuously, because when doing so you would be staying longer than the unofficial 180 days a year in Thailand, and would be considered 'not a genuine tourist' by thai border-immigration.  Using 2 METVs with some months in your home-country in between would not be a problem.  But when staying longer than 180 days a year, from the 3rd one on you might be questioned on entry and in worst case even denied entry.  So inc case of staying longer than 6 months a year in Thailand applying for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extensions is the cheapest/easiest way of staying long-term legit in Thailand.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

On an METV (MultipleEntry TouristVisa) you can stay almost 9 months in Thailand, when doing a border-run just before your 6 month Visa validity date expires, then being stamped in again for a 60-day permission to stay which can be extended with 30 days.

Obviously you cannot use METVs continuously, because when doing so you would be staying longer than the unofficial 180 days a year in Thailand, and would be considered 'not a genuine tourist' by thai border-immigration.  Using 2 METVs with some months in your home-country in between would not be a problem.  But when staying longer than 180 days a year, from the 3rd one on you might be questioned on entry and in worst case even denied entry.  So inc case of staying longer than 6 months a year in Thailand applying for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extensions is the cheapest/easiest way of staying long-term legit in Thailand.

I want to be in Thailand 6-9 months a year so I thought METV was perfect for me and my wife. However using METV's; and passing the 5 month mark we started getting increasingly thorough interrogations upon reentry to Thailand by immigration and threats of not being allowed entry. I was saddened by this because we thought we found a low cost way to fit our part-time Thai lifestyle. We found short term rentals via Airbnb and contacts while in Thailand. As long as you stay at least 30 days Airbnb is legal BTW.

After going back to the USA my wife and I debated what to do and settled on getting Thailand Elite visas. (We are both under 50) I would have loved to keep doing recurring 9 month METVs since it is obviously way cheaper, but it became clear this was not a stable way for us to stay here. The cost of the TE visa was steep but if we keep this up for a few years it will pay for itself. I am also glad to not have to sweat coming in and out of the country anymore.

• Like 1