BANGKOK
ericdk

Part-Time long termers - share your experiences

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

I've lived in Thailand long term years ago, but now I live back home. I've wanted to go back to Thailand again for years, not only as a tourist, but not as a long termer either. I guess that leaves "part time". Maybe a 2-4 months a year? Maybe 50-50?

I'd like to hear from those of you who have been coming to Thailand for many years on and off, spending more time than the regular tourist. Do you rent or buy? Do you have a girlfriend/partner you visit each time? Where do you stay, what's the best place to stay part time?

Share your experience as a long term part-timer.

Edited by ericdk
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

unless you have permanent residency, or citizenship, we are all 'part timers'. It's the nature of the visa and extension of stay system here. So the answer to your question from various posters here, if they even bother to answer,  will be 'every personal circumstance that you can think of'.   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Why do you want to stay in Thailand at all?

Because of the climate, the girls, or what?

And what can you afford?

1 hour ago, ericdk said:

Where do you stay, what's the best place to stay part time?

You should have a good idea where you want to stay. In Pattaya or in a village up country?

In a house with garden or an apartment?

Then the question is if you can afford what you want and maybe what are cheaper alternatives.

Id love too, but ive been here that long ive forgotten any. Just so easy here if yer got money.

• Haha 1

I think much better to rent a condo there will be some good deals out there now, you have nothing to worry about it's all inclusive when it's time to leave no worries just say good bye, see you next year.

As for pussy rent it bye the day dont need to have any excess baggage

Location, I lived for 2 years in Sukhumvit Soi 2 great location can walk everywhere no need for a car, if you need a car just rent one for a couple of days, 

Also not that far from the airport if you want to take a couple of trips 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

WI have spent 15 years 6 months Thailand 6 months Australia. Great life style beat the heat in both countries. We have a home and cars in both countries.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd rather stay in Cambodia, only my baggage keeps me here.

I can't imagine why anyone without a house/women/kids is wanting to come here, it ain't that great anymore.

I could name 3 countries that are more convenient, and easier to stay in ........ or were before COVID.

Is a farang retiree allowed to own a car in any of your 3 better-than-Thailand countries? If so, please name the countries. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Is a farang retiree allowed to own a car in any of your 3 better-than-Thailand countries? If so, please name the countries. 

I only need a bicycle.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1