Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

For how long? 

Thai's can return (when there are flights) but foreigners with families in Thailand can't. Why is that ok for you?

Why would a Thai present any less risk than a foreigner?

So.. is it only foreigners you want to prevent from entering Thailand, or everyone?

Think about that and work out if you are being a little sanctimonious or just cold, or both.

Interesting, where did you get October from? - Thats another 5 months with no incoming flights? or just no incomming tourists? or no incoming Western tourists?

You could be right, but why October and not November, or September? what thought process?

Ignore all these posts. October tourists will enter. The gov will get these people back well before also

2 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Thats OK its their choice but when the farang husband finds out the money stops and then she can have her Thai boyfriend maybe all to herself whose probably a drunk on thai whiskey and waisted on yaba.

Judging by a few comments here earlier, those few husbands are none the wiser and will probably never ever find out.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

They did give a stuff about their families as they were working to take care of them. The almighty dollar is necessary to live. Some people came here and found love, but had to go back home to work. They didn't want to lose that love, so keep coming back until they are retired to take care of them,and send them money while they are away, making that money to send. There are those that stay in their countries and go back and forth just to have sex with their Thai wives or girlfriends and have no intention of moving here to stay. Some of those likely have girlfriends or wives back home, so they want their cake .............., but we're talking here about those that want to be with the ones they love, and NEED to work so their families won't be without the necessities.

I am lucky that what I do for work is a 3 month deal in the US to support us for the entire year in Chiang Mai.  We moved there from the US to give our teens their other culture at a time they would remember before all of us heading back to the US for college.  I don't spend another day more than I have to away from my family.  But now I'm stuck here in the US just as my work ended with no clear idea of when I am able to return home.  Our 3rd child together is 2.5 yrs old.  I need to be there on so very many levels.  If there is somewhere to register our particular problem, I'd like to know.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Surprise, surprise... It turned out your marriage visas are not any better than our tourist ones. 

Booyakasha! Touchdown lol

Edited by bbi1

18 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

Why so much discussion on a topic that should be easy. Just allow all foreigners with ties to Thailand (Wife, husband. long term GF, house, long term rental) to come back and face the same 14 days that the Thai do. Yes Thai's get right of way when the planes are limited, we would do the same. 

Sadly most western countries also limit the nationalities that can come in. It's not a particular Thai thing. 

Case closed. 

Its not planes that are limited, its quarantine facilites 

recently the limit of people coming back has been 300 each day mainly due to limitations on quarantine facilites

Here is one example of a Goverment quarantine facility

https://www.scmp.com/video/coronavirus/3080722/scenes-thai-government-covid-19-quarantine-facility-barracks-living-great

Now if you stick with the 300 each day and some 40,000 Thai nationals have expressed an interest to return back to Thailand through the repatriation flights scheme then it will be a few more months before Thailand will be in a position to allow anyone else in such as long term visa holders, families etc etc.Th

Hotels and hospitals to offer an alternative to state quarantine

https://www.thaienquirer.com/13367/hotels-and-hospitals-to-offer-an-alternative-to-state-quarantine/

Now as far as I know Thai Nationals have a choice they can either stay in the Goverment quarantine facility or upgrade and stay in a hotel.  There  may be a different options available when Thailand has completed the repatriation flights of their Nationals, they may decided before they fully open up their airports to Tourists that they want to allow Longterm visa holders to return first with their families or to renuite with their familes and at that time maybe the only option will be approved hospitals and hotels. 

The bottom line is more quarantine facilites means they can increase the 300 limit on Thai nationals returning each day which hopefully will mean longterm visa holders and their familes can come back sooner

•  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Thats OK its their choice but when the farang husband finds out the money stops and then she can have her Thai boyfriend maybe all to herself whose probably a drunk on thai whiskey and waisted on yaba. And is probably screwing around on the farangs former wife. Thai men will screw around on their wives or girl friends ask the ladies working Nana or Soi Cowboy!

Is that an element of worry I detect in your post?

From the cases of men working offshore that caught their wives screwing around that I am personally aware of, most of them never even dumped their Thai wife or gf, and just pretended it never happened.

Some of the women still continued to do it after being caught and as soon as the mug was away back on the first hitch!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm in the same boat and it's heart-wrenching not to be together with the missus and the kids.

Most cases in Thailand now are Thai returnees & not many cases either.  What's the difference?  I'm lucky to still be here with family

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Allowing non Thai nationals to enter increases the risk of the WuFlu spreading, sucks to be them but it is what it is and I appreciate Thailand's (and the other countries with similar/same policies) hard stance on this.

Non-Thais would go through the exact same procedure as Thai Nationals (government mandated quarantine).

So why do they carry a higher risk of spreading Covid-19?????

Please try to explain without resorting to the proverbial thai logic.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

hahahahaha, might as well just open the borders for everyone to enter............. what could possibly  go wrong !!

Why would you laugh at this? That has been said earlier and is exactly the best solution.

5 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Non-Thais would go through the exact same procedure as Thai Nationals (government mandated quarantine).

So why do they carry a higher risk of spreading Covid-19?????

Please try to explain without resorting to the proverbial thai logic.

Thailand does not have enough quarantine beds for repatriated nationals to spend 14 days in so why should the Thai government ad to that burden just so old matey can get his end wet and give the kids a cuddle.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

No, I see it completely differently, somebody has to do those jobs, the money isn't even close to what people imagine it to be, it is hard dangerous work, it is essential work.

Hindsight is a wonderful tool, what you are saying is that they should not have taken this type of work, should have predicted this happening and should not be allowed back in to Thailand to be with their family because YOU might catch a virus.

What would happen if everybody took your noble advice and nobody did this type of work??

I know one thing, we would not be having this conversation, because there would be no power on in our homes, we would starve to death because there would be no supply line or shops.

They CHOOSE to sacrifice time with their family each and every time for months on end. Now the virus is forcing them not to return and they bitch about it when they are in the exact same situation as per normal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Yep, but there are those that think they should be allowed to stay just because.

Speaking the national language fluently should be a requirement in any country that you wish to stay permanently. 

It certainly is for the UK and Australia and you have to take a test to prove it.

Indeed there is a Thai language test for PR here but you can get assistance to translate the questions which I thought was a bit of a cheat.

Interestingly Bill Hienecke the billionaire CEO of Minor Food Group is a Thai citizen  and I believe he does not speak Thai... could be wrong on that one but.

It's a points-based system.  Thai language skills are just one category of "points" which may be allotted.  In general, I agree with this - basic conversational ability should be enough for a foreigner married to a local.  For "citizenship" = voting-rights, more ability should be warranted.

Here for years w/o issues and married to a Thai?  PR should be automatic.  They need to get rid of the requirement you "must take a job here for 3 years" just to apply, when you may have BETTER money coming from an overseas option, allowing for spending MORE into the Thai economy.

Edited by JackThompson

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Its not planes that are limited, its quarantine facilites 

recently the limit of people coming back has been 300 each day mainly due to limitations on quarantine facilites

Here is one example of a Goverment quarantine facility

https://www.scmp.com/video/coronavirus/3080722/scenes-thai-government-covid-19-quarantine-facility-barracks-living-great

Now if you stick with the 300 each day and some 40,000 Thai nationals have expressed an interest to return back to Thailand through the repatriation flights scheme then it will be a few more months before Thailand will be in a position to allow anyone else in such as long term visa holders, families etc etc.Th

Hotels and hospitals to offer an alternative to state quarantine

https://www.thaienquirer.com/13367/hotels-and-hospitals-to-offer-an-alternative-to-state-quarantine/

Now as far as I know Thai Nationals have a choice they can either stay in the Goverment quarantine facility or upgrade and stay in a hotel.  There  may be a different options available when Thailand has completed the repatriation flights of their Nationals, they may decided before they fully open up their airports to Tourists that they want to allow Longterm visa holders to return first with their families or to renuite with their familes and at that time maybe the only option will be approved hospitals and hotels. 

The bottom line is more quarantine facilites means they can increase the 300 limit on Thai nationals returning each day which hopefully will mean longterm visa holders and their familes can come back sooner

•  

Well said and this is exactly correct, there are some who wrongly believe it is self isolation, it is not, it is controlled isolation, hence the limitations.

Once more options become available, then hopefully the government will allow foreigners that have a reason such as family to return.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Sure. But the point is these farangs, and there are tens of thousands of them here, still believe they can complain, be entitled, and point fingers at the gov etc,. I find it arrogant to the extreme.

They still believe their Thai partners love and are faithful to them.

As far as I can see most of the entire population don't think much of white guys.

Of course, it might just be me mixing with the wrong sorts that gives me this jaded opinion of everyone/everything.

...... or maybe age has turned me into Victor Meldrew.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Speaking the national language fluently should be a requirement in any country that you wish to stay permanently. 

It certainly is for the UK and Australia and you have to take a test to prove it.

Even for foreigners only staying for 90 days?

9 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Sure. But the point is these farangs, and there are tens of thousands of them here, still believe they can complain, be entitled, and point fingers at the gov etc,. I find it arrogant to the extreme.

You mean when we deal with corrupt immigration officials who try to extort us, as other branches of govt also do Thais?  I think complaining is the bare minimum we should do.  Ideally, we should be on TV pointing our fingers at the arrested "former" govt-employees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

How does allowing non-Thai people married to a local with a family to return and quarantine just like the Thais are (and pay for it themselves) increasing the risk of spreading anything? 

They would be in quarantine. 

The risk will always be smaller, if you stay out!!

7 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Thailand does not have enough quarantine beds for repatriated nationals to spend 14 days in so why should the Thai government ad to that burden just so old matey can get his end wet and give the kids a cuddle.

They have already begun to use hotels.  There are thousands of empty hotel rooms right now.  Until those are full, there is no problem. 

Nevermind, the hospitals never filled-up, which was the only reason for these measures in the first place.

• Like 2

GO ONLINE and look up 'TRANSFERWISE"..... (TRANSFERWISE.COM) .... i have used them for transfering USD to Thai Baht several times and find they give you the best current exchange rate as of the minute you do the transfer.......

Me too, I'm in the USA and cannot get back to Thailand..... So I send money.......  They need money MORE than they need me even though I miss them so much.... I still want them to have some quality of life..... and money is the 'Answer'.....

I am very serious..... even though I/we cannot go to them they still need the money and I have found one of the best ways to get it to them....