Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why should the Thai government pay for government mandated quarantine for foreigners that don't pay taxes in the country?

The foreigners already offered to pay the cost.  Many would probably offer to sponsor the cost of a Thai as well, to get back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why should the Thai government pay for government mandated quarantine for foreigners that don't pay taxes in the country?

They wouldn't, it would be paid for by those entering.

Those that do pay PIT in Thailand cannot enter right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Not in the slightest, do I get annoyed with people who have no thought for others, yep sure do.

Why should I care about anyone else?

Or more on topic,

Why should the Thai government care about anyone who isn't Thai (or Chinese)?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Its very tough - but adults apart is pretty normal in Asia for work purposes but unlucky for me I have a child trapped in North Sumatra, Indonesia - IF they opened up all 3 airports and airlines blah blah etc.. required and then getting back to Thailand to my other child and mother I'd be required to spend 8 weeks in mandatory Government controlled isolation in 3 different Countries!  She is too young to fly alone and it wouldn't be allowed anyways.  Just have to deal with it and look forward to the end of the 'Chinese Plague'.

19 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Not really sure about all this bleating to be honest. How about manning up and just accepting it for what it is? As long as the family is safe and has means of cash etc, time will soon pass before the blissful re-union.

Did out war heroes in the 1st and 2nd world war, and more recently serviceman in Afghanistan and Iraq start bleating about not being with the family for a few months, and all while risking their own lifes?

I agree with you Keyser. Its hard times and people need to adapt. Even today armed forces do it tough away from their families. Thai conscripts always away from their families. In normal times there are hundreds of thousands or more people working in industries around the world that separate them from their families for extended periods. I've worked with Thai's around the world in holes like Libya away from their families for a year. Better conditions for them in Taiwan but still away from their families. Filipino and Indonesian mariners who are away from their families 8-10 months a year. Indian labourers in Singapore on 2 year contracts away from their families living in less than ideal conditions. There is dozens of expats I know in Australia and around the world right now already been away for 3 months or more and struggle to get home. They suck it up and get on with it. Colleagues confined to a hotel in India for nearly 2 months now and they were already in country before that for 3 months. Winding the clock back 30 years I worked on ships for 3 and 4 months at a time. No internet, Facebook, Skype, messenger then. We wrote letters if we had the chance. Marisat phone calls 20Dollars a minute so you never made them. People these days can't go a day without looking at Facebook or the internet. Its a different world now and jeez people are getting soft. Petitions and go fund me?? People just don't realize how easy they have it. Atrocities and hardships continue around the world and the privileged feel hard done by from this current pandemic. It's never easy being away from family. There are probably millions of people in industry who miss countless birthdays of their children and family, Christmas or other religion celebrations, anniversaries, funerals, births, marriages, new year celebrations and so on. They do so because they work to provide a better future for their families but at a cost of being away from them.

It's really not that hard. It's only been a few months and it will improve. Man up and suck it up. Stay safe, stay healthy and the day will come when you are reunited. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Why then is there no option for married expats to do exactly that?

VAT on a small bottle of Chang from the 7-11 aint what I would call "paying taxes".

Edited by Don Mega
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, b2bme said:

I agree with you Keyser. Its hard times and people need to adapt. Even today armed forces do it tough away from their families. Thai conscripts always away from their families. In normal times there are hundreds of thousands or more people working in industries around the world that separate them from their families for extended periods. I've worked with Thai's around the world in holes like Libya away from their families for a year. Better conditions for them in Taiwan but still away from their families. Filipino and Indonesian mariners who are away from their families 8-10 months a year. Indian labourers in Singapore on 2 year contracts away from their families living in less than ideal conditions. There is dozens of expats I know in Australia and around the world right now already been away for 3 months or more and struggle to get home. They suck it up and get on with it. Colleagues confined to a hotel in India for nearly 2 months now and they were already in country before that for 3 months. Winding the clock back 30 years I worked on ships for 3 and 4 months at a time. No internet, Facebook, Skype, messenger then. We wrote letters if we had the chance. Marisat phone calls 20Dollars a minute so you never made them. People these days can't go a day without looking at Facebook or the internet. Its a different world now and jeez people are getting soft. Petitions and go fund me?? People just don't realize how easy they have it. Atrocities and hardships continue around the world and the privileged feel hard done by from this current pandemic. It's never easy being away from family. There are probably millions of people in industry who miss countless birthdays of their children and family, Christmas or other religion celebrations, anniversaries, funerals, births, marriages, new year celebrations and so on. They do so because they work to provide a better future for their families but at a cost of being away from them.

It's really not that hard. It's only been a few months and it will improve. Man up and suck it up. Stay safe, stay healthy and the day will come when you are reunited. 

Yep, exactly. But we now live in the me me me culture, with grown mean not being able to be alone for a bit. Hard to find many real men these days, a dying breed.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, fraggleRock said:

Its very tough - but adults apart is pretty normal in Asia for work purposes but unlucky for me I have a child trapped in North Sumatra, Indonesia - IF they opened up all 3 airports and airlines blah blah etc.. required and then getting back to Thailand to my other child and mother I'd be required to spend 8 weeks in mandatory Government controlled isolation in 3 different Countries!  She is too young to fly alone and it wouldn't be allowed anyways.  Just have to deal with it and look forward to the end of the 'Chinese Plague'.

Agreed, they all need to just deal with it as you are doing and stop bitching about the situation. It is what it is.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why should I care about anyone else?

It has it's own reward, sometimes.  Sometimes not, though - but you can at least have the solace of knowing you did the right thing, even if the other did not.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Or more on topic,

Why should the Thai government care about anyone who isn't Thai (or Chinese)?

Seems they are more concerned about the CCP's perspective than Thais'.  If they behaved in a "best for regular Thai folks" manner, I would support that 100%. 

I've yet to see a "pro-Thai People" rationale for limiting farang-spending here, yet it is the CCP's policy of keeping as many of us out as possible, which wins the day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You mean when we deal with corrupt immigration officials who try to extort us, as other branches of govt also do Thais?  I think complaining is the bare minimum we should do.  Ideally, we should be on TV pointing our fingers at the arrested "former" govt-employees.

If you have a work permit and pay taxes? - I think the fact your not a Thai national may have something to do with it, just look at how Australia are not discriminating - one rule for all, you all pay.... from my understanding - feel free to correct me...

16 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, there are  the human garbage women who would sleep with anything, especially for money. Look at Donald trump for one instance, but what positives does a Thai woman have with cheating with a Thai man? Possibilities of a disease, some which might kill, including the fact that one out of four adults has herpes. That a Thai man that would go with a married woman, besides taking his life into his hands, well known by this day and age, is 100% likely to leave and not return when he finds another younger, prettier woman. That the majority of them hasn't the resources to take care of any children they might make. Quality time. I have talked to many, many Thai women,both here and back in the US, who stated that the previous boyfriends they've had were terrible lovers, that their foreign boyfriends or husbands were more likely to understand foreplay and last more than 3 minutes. Last but not least, the average penis size here is 4 inches, only exceeding Korea's 3.8, and the Thai women know this.

Thai women love money, but they don’t love for money.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:

You seriously think they should also ban Thai Nationals from returning home ?

What's the difference, A lot  Thais are more likely to bring back the virus because they have been working in HighRisk countries. so they should Treat Everyone the Same. If the thais can come back to their family in Thailand So Should The Farang/Foreigner.     Thai Logic Us Us only 

• Like 1

Just now, Mattd said:

Actually VAT is a much better form of income to Thailand than income tax, it is the only tax they everybody pays and the more they spend the more they pay, most Thai incomes are below the tax threshold or in the lowest bracket, which is less than VAT.

I purchased a packet of chewing gum this morning, they should  grant me permanent residency ?

FWIW my income tax far exceeds the VAT on what I purchase monthly.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Women are irrational creatures. Yes, they love money, but they don’t love for money.

I know a few that love me short time.

Edited by Don Mega

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Tough but understandable move by the government. The Thais knew what they were dealing with and responded appropriately.

Yes, some foreigners would have respected the  self isolation requirements and yes some have legitimate reasons to return,  Unfortunately, there are alsoforeigners up to no good without  the financial means or health insurance to  take care of themselves. Some would not have respected the self isolation. Thailand did not have the means or resources to manage that exposure. Because of a few duds, everyone will suffer.  And please, no lectures on how  this is unfair when  we see in the forums the stories of how some farangs  play the system  and cheat. Sorry to the many people who  are suffering, but this is the  cost of tolerating scum who are often excused away as poor hard done folk. All it takes is a few selfish gits landing from  Italy, Russia, USA. UK to spread death and disease.

In the end, like all things, it comes down to good and evil.

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

What's the difference, A lot  Thais are more likely to bring back the virus because they have been working in HighRisk countries. so they should Treat Everyone the Same. If the thais can come back to their family in Thailand So Should The Farang/Foreigner.     Thai Logic Us Us only 

The difference is Thailand is their country, Johhny Nobody can go burden his own.

Why do you and many struggle with this concept ?

Just now, Don Mega said:

I purchased a packet of chewing gum this morning, they should  grant me permanent residency ?

FWIW my income tax far exceeds the VAT on what I purchase monthly.

Read what I wrote, Thai PIT is not a big form of revenue compared to VAT.

I have and continue to pay a lot of income tax to Thailand, goes with the territory, that is by the by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Then .... why come/stay here?  I have encountered exactly 2 "ordinary" Thais who were rude bigots in YEARS here, other than corrupt Immigration personnel, who use rudeness as an economic-tactic.   Given the CCP's well-funded anti-farang media barrage here, this demonstrates a significant inherent-resistance to bigot-hate tendencies.

I work with Thais every day.  They are generally very nice, polite people.  I encountered a significantly higher percentage of genuine (explitives) in my passport-country, on a regular basis, than here.  That said, in my experience, most "ordinary working people" everywhere are good people, who seek to harm no one.

When i chose to stay here things were very different.

21 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Not in the slightest, do I get annoyed with people who have no thought for others, yep sure do.

You didn't think of your family when you chose to go back to work?

Knowing full well that you may not be able to return to them due to the ongoing crisis?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It's very easy for someone who's bringing in more than 40K a month on retirement here to chastise those that need to work to take care of their families here. Granted, some don't care that they are away and will return when they want to. For those that need to work, and jobs have been lost by the thousands so a job now is even more gold than before, they had to leave to work to bring home or send home money for their families here, and are upset they can't be here now because of this covid crapola.

Life is like a poop sandwich ...... the more bread they give you, the better it tastes.

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Thailand allows entry to Thai nationals so your rebuttal is flawed, I feel for those that may be infected due to this.

You missed my point. 

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

The naivety of some people is astounding at times, please think before you write, some are on fixed installations for one, cargo ships can't just pop in to port, offshore vessels are carrying out essential tasks and some cost 100,000 USD per day ++++ to operate, they cannot just stop what they are doing, plus a lot of countries have, like Thailand, stopped seafarers from carrying out crew changes, meaning that those onboard cannot get off as they have no relief joining, there are a huge number of people displaced due to this.

I do hope you all think of that the next time you put fuel in your car, cook, write on your imported computer, watch your imported TV, the list goes on and on, without these guys the world would be in dire straits, the supply line is essential.

These workers are sacrificing a lot so that we can live.

I understand how the offshore industry works but thanks for the lesson anyway.

I was offshore at the time all this started, people had a couple of days to make the decision whether to stay or go home to their families, i chose the latter, turns out it was a good choice.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

The difference is Thailand is their country, Johhny Nobody can go burden his own.

Why do you and many struggle with this concept ?

No one said that one is Struggling with this concept.   You are the One who said that .So You Must be struggling with the Concept. ????