Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

37 minutes ago, fraggleRock said:

If you have a work permit and pay taxes? - I think the fact your not a Thai national may have something to do with it, just look at how Australia are not discriminating - one rule for all, you all pay.... from my understanding - feel free to correct me...

I do have a work-permit and pay taxes here, now.  This made no improvement dealing with immigration, though - just adds more paperwork hurdles.  As to taxes, we USAs even have to pay if we don't live there - same as China and North Korea (I think the only others). 

I have not lived/worked as a foreign-national in Austraila, but I doubt their immigration dept is run based on an agent/evelope racket, which would constitute felony offenses in the USA.  It's the same with many other govt-departments, which operate the same way against Thais.  Ask some about the land-dept, when they buy/sell/transfer.   Those are the ones to which the "complaining and finger pointing" is well-deserved.

Edited by JackThompson

3 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

It makes zero difference, we are still people and we are married together. I am on a retirement visa and this is our main residence. Our home is in Bangkok. That's it. If Thailand doesn't acknowledge people in our situation they should not market a "retirement visa".

Which is why you put retirement visa in ''  It means nothing, just a term used to allow one over 50 to stay here for a whole 12 months. Ever wondered why there isn't a residence visa available like they have in some neighbouring countries?

1 minute ago, BobbyL said:

As other people have posted, situations like these make me think about whether I really want to live here long term or perhaps we should move back to England again.  

There are other options than those two - my passport-country is near the bottom of my country-option-list - but a Thai wife may not want to leave her culture and family, even for "more money" - one of the things I respect about Thais, vs women in some other countries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Which is why you put retirement visa in ''  It means nothing, just a term used to allow one over 50 to stay here for a whole 12 months. Ever wondered why there isn't a residence visa available like they have in some neighbouring countries?

Agree, but a quick look in my passport shows the IO writing Retirement within the stamp. To my point, don't market it as a retirement visa if they don't intend that you actually come and retire here. Call it a one-year visa and have done with it!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

They are "slow walking" it.  All should be allowed to return immediately.  There is plenty of quantine space available. 

they should learn to swim then cause the other issue is very limited flights.

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Tough but understandable move by the government. The Thais knew what they were dealing with and responded appropriately.

Yes, some foreigners would have respected the  self isolation requirements and yes some have legitimate reasons to return,  Unfortunately, there are alsoforeigners up to no good without  the financial means or health insurance to  take care of themselves. Some would not have respected the self isolation. Thailand did not have the means or resources to manage that exposure. Because of a few duds, everyone will suffer.  And please, no lectures on how  this is unfair when  we see in the forums the stories of how some farangs  play the system  and cheat. Sorry to the many people who  are suffering, but this is the  cost of tolerating scum who are often excused away as poor hard done folk. All it takes is a few selfish gits landing from  Italy, Russia, USA. UK to spread death and disease.

Lol are you that nieve to think that all Thais are respecting the self isolation requirements and is okay to allow them to return to their homes and families but it is not okay to allow foreigners to return home to their Thais wives and families  because you think there are some duds that may not respect the rules? What kind of a double standard is that? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rod the Sod said:

Agree, but a quick look in my passport shows the IO writing Retirement within the stamp. To my point, don't market it as a retirement visa if they don't intend that you actually come and retire here. Call it a one-year visa and have done with it!

Ok, but that's all by der by isn't it.

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

No, they are limiting the numbers, this can be increased.

I know of Thais stranded overseas and are desperate to come home.

Nothing wrong with slowing the ingress of possible wuFlu carriers.

I hope that I have enough time and earning potential to reassess and re-plan my retirement in Thailand. 

I feared and deep down always knew that investing (spending because it is not an investment) so much was a silly move.

This confirms all my worst fears I had about Thailand.

All the cliché comments are TRUE!

I am lucky my family is with me while we work overseas. But even so some of the dumb comments that come out of my wife's mouth when we talk about the situation confirms all the my worst fears about Thailand The attitude to foreigners from the population and the government. 

I fear the worst for my future in a country I so wrongly chose to spend my retirement years in. For the record I'm in my third decade of marriage!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

There are no jobs here besides what I've mentioned. If there are, tell me so I can get one, as Isaan is one of the most boring places on earth. I can't hunt here, the fishing's very poor due to rampant netting and we're too far from the beach for  many trips.

Plenty on the various job sites for foreigners.

• Sad 2

Ok guys here is the unvarnished truth

60 million Thai people suffered the cancellation of their major holiday in April

A holiday where those apart from their families historically travel home to be with them for a week

So are you few hundred guys outside Thailand prepared to make a similar sacrifice to continue to keep Thailand safe?

The answer should be a resounding 'yes' right?

Please quit the 'justification' and whining, be happy your family are safe, partly due to the thoughtful sacrifice of many Thai people who did not get to visit their families

Thank you

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, HenryC said:

It's the only way to is going to happen numpty. If you think the Thai government will spend a penny on an alien then you really are deluded.

I'd argue there could be good business in it for hotels and hospitals.

How will they police it - well you can't leave the hotel. If you are stupid enough to try then deportation awaits you i am sure.

Why don't you just get back under your bridge.

You got the wrong end of the stick there princess...

my whole argument has been for those crying they cannot come home and get their end wet is why should the government foot the quarantine bill.

If they want to foot the bill though thats a different matter.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

they should learn to swim then cause the other issue is very limited flights.

That's not where the limit is now, though.  The Thai govt is setting the limits on Their Own Citizens coming home.

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Nothing wrong with slowing the ingress of possible wuFlu carriers.

You just asked if they were stopping Thais returning.  Well, they are.  Now you know.  Round and round.

3 minutes ago, Mattd said:

You contradict yourself, one part says Thais only and now they should be limited...............

Quarantine for all arrivals, Thai or foreign, simple.

all Thai arrivals are quarantined aren't they, or am I missing something ?

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

That's not where the limit is now, though.  The Thai govt is setting the limits on Their Own Citizens coming home.

You just asked if they were stopping Thais returning.  Well, they are.  Now you know.  Round and round.

i stand corrected.

am sure the government would just love to deny entry to all but the worldwide backlash from preventing citizens coming home would lose a bit of face.

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

all Thai arrivals are quarantined aren't they, or am I missing something ?

Yes and if there is space and no cost to the Government, why should this not include Foreigners returning to their family?