Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What made you think it's a good idea to leave your family in a pandemic?

I do not live in Thailand. Recently married and planning to bring missus/youngster to UK. Then this <deleted> happened.

10 minutes ago, maprao said:

I hope that I have enough time and earning potential to reassess and re-plan my retirement in Thailand. 

I feared and deep down always knew that investing (spending because it is not an investment) so much was a silly move.

This confirms all my worst fears I had about Thailand.

All the cliché comments are TRUE!

I am lucky my family is with me while we work overseas. But even so some of the dumb comments that come out of my wife's mouth when we talk about the situation confirms all the my worst fears about Thailand The attitude to foreigners from the population and the government. 

I fear the worst for my future in a country I so wrongly chose to spend my retirement years in. For the record I'm in my third decade of marriage!

Yea it's all pretty grim isn't. I don't see a happy future for me here at all, but stuck here for now as have young children and no where else to really go anyway. The only way I kept sane was take a few trips, but that's out the window now. Groundhog day.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

How does allowing non-Thai people married to a local with a family to return and quarantine just like the Thais are (and pay for it themselves) increasing the risk of spreading anything? 

They would be in quarantine.

There is no difference...  as long as the foreigner can show married,

parent to Thai etc. Should be allowed to return..

Hopefully this will change...

• Like 1

Many of those "stranded abroad" are in fact just the temporary sponsors on temporary permits of stay.  Remember: only a Thai person can be a husband to a Thai. I know it sounds harsh but this is the way the Thais see the world (including your so called wives). Wait until the borders reopen, get another tourist-like marriage visa and come back to your partner.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Less people allowed entry equals a reduced chance of further infections.

Which part of this are you struggling with ?

You seem to have difficulties in grasping principles. If 'fewer' (correct English) people entering reduces the chances of infection then it stands to reason Thais should also not be allowed to re enter ,unless you want to argue that a returning Thai carries less risk than a returning farang father/husband?

• Like 1

Just now, Zikomat said:

Many of those "stranded abroad" are in fact just the temporary sponsors on temporary permits of stay.  Remember: only a Thai person can be a husband to a Thai. I know it sounds harsh but this is the way the Thais see the world. Wait until the borders reopen, get another tourist-like marriage visa and come back to your (business) partner.

I'm Polish and Irish and I'm the husband to a Thai. so I must be the exception.

8 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

So you think the government should foot the bill ?

If they have Thai family, it would be the right thing to do, since they are the ones mandating it.  But that's not the question at hand.  Right now, "allowing" people with Thai family to return and pay their own quantine is not currently permitted.  There is no logistical reason for this. 

Same with the "lack of flights" question - if the govt was not stopping folks, and there "were no flights," then that isn't the govt's problem.  Of course, if airlines could sell the tickets, they most certainly would (are desperate to do so right now).

Edited by JackThompson

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It's not one or the other.  The quantine is enough "sacrifice" to eliminate any threat.  THAT is the unvarnished-truth.  Songkran has nothing to do with it one way or the other. 

Well if I had postponed my annual family visit to see my children and parents, to assist the cause, I might be tempted to tell you to shove your quarantine where the sun don't shine Jack

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm Polish and Irish and I'm the husband to a Thai. so I must be the exception.

If you are a husband - then why you will not be let back in case you are stuck outside Thailand at the moment? I am not talking about how you perceive yourself. How the Thai society sees you is what matters. And it sees you as a temporary stayer without any particular rights. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Well if I had postponed my annual family visit to see my children and parents, to assist the cause, I might be tempted to tell you to shove your quarantine where the sun don't shine Jack

Why?  Just out of spite?

• Like 2

Just now, Zikomat said:

If you are a husband - then why you will not be let back in case you are stuck outside Thailand at the moment? I am not talking about how you perceive yourself. How the Thai society sees you is what matters. And it sees you as a temporary stayer without any particular rights. 

I'm living here now. I feel bad for those that are not with their families now and want to be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, madmen said:

I think its interesting that many expats have totally trashed Thailand on just about every aspect. Hardly a thread goes by here without Thailand getting a severe bashing or a barstool bashing to anyone that will listen

So now they are begging to be treated basically like a Thai. Ironic.

Whilst I'm fully aware it's not everyone and please don't tell me the Thais are not aware. I know married guys that consistently tell there wives how STUPID Thais are and govt officials are also aware because its no secret.

Perhaps its time to make a change and start showing respect for the land that YOU all CHOSE to live in or forever be banished to the dark side and live like outcasts

Just sayin

Many want to come home to their THAI families.  The govt is slowing Thais coming in to a crawl, so it's not just farang affected.

Bashing what?  The Land / People of Thailand, or the government's policies?  There is a huge difference - same as in my passport-country.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

A lot of Thais did not cancel Songkran, at least 60% of the large companies in the IE where my office is located took the 3 days and a lot of Thais did travel home, even though they were not supposed to.

Edited by Mattd

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If they have Thai family, it would be the right thing to do, since they are the ones mandating it.  But that's not the question at hand.  Right now, "allowing" people with Thai family to return and pay their own quantine is not currently permitted.  There is no logistical reason for this. 

Same with the "lack of flights" question - if the govt was not stopping folks, and there "were no flights," then that isn't the govt's problem.  Of course, if airlines could sell the tickets, they most certainly would (are desperate to do so right now).

There is a  logistical reason , last week the number of Thai nationals returning was limited to 300 each day this is due to the amount of available Goverment quarantine facilites, not all hotels are suitable to host people subject to quarantine, the hotel has to request to be approved and subject to Goverment inspection

40,000 Thai nationals have registered with their local embassy an interest in returning , some 15,000 have already returned leaving a further 25,000 to return.

If anyone is in doubt that quarantine is required or necessary suggest you read the following twitter post 

Since February, there have been 104 cases of people in state quarantine with #COVID19. During the last two weeks, 17 people who returned from abroad were found to be infected #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1264056463640547328

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

There is a  logistical reason , last week the number of Thai nationals returning was limited to 300 each day this is due to the amount of available Goverment quarantine facilites, not all hotels are suitable to host people subject to quarantine, the hotel has to request to be approved and subject to Goverment inspection

40,000 Thai nationals have registered with their local embassy an interest in returning , some 15,000 have already returned leaving a further 25,000 to return.

If anyone is in doubt that quarantine is required or necessary suggest you read the following twitter post 

Since February, there have been 104 cases of people in state quarantine with #COVID19. During the last two weeks, 17 people who returned from abroad were found to be infected #Thailand

Nobody is questioning the need for quarantine, it is essential right now, the government do have options open to them to increase the numbers, it is a matter of if they want to do that.

• Like 2

It’s like anything else in Thailand, all foreigners are segregated as having far fewer human rights Than what Thais have, yet those from affluent countries are expected to pay more for everything.

trust amazing Thailand’s fake smile 

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Nobody is questioning the need for quarantine, it is essential right now, the government do have options open to them to increase the numbers, it is a matter of if they want to do that.

The numbers I have seen on the news recently is they are increasing the numbers to 500 per day, so yes it would appear that the Goverment is trying to increase the numbers once they have more approved quarantine facilites in place

Why don't the wives of those stuck outside Thailand husbands start a petition to their government? Unlike their husbands - they are the rightful citizens of this country, they have a voice. And yet they are totally silent. As if they were quite satisfied with the situation. The money keeps coming but those annoying creatures are kept away.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Yes and if there is space and no cost to the Government, why should this not include Foreigners returning to their family?

The foreigners quarantine is a cost to the government is it ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What to expect when you are quarantined 

I noticed they are not really social distancing when they get their flight back into Thailand.    Even sitting on the bus back to the state defined hotels (all across thailand).  However, everyone gets hand gel and free masks which is mandatory to wear.  Upon landing, they get checked temperature and then checked before bordering the bus and again before entering their room in the hotel.

Inside a 3 hotel star hotel with 3 meals provided per day, they get 14 days quaraintine and not allowed any visitors and allowed outside the room.  Even food delivery, sheets and towels are placed outside the door on the chair for guests to collect things.   Visitors are allowed to drop off dry food to the hotel and they will disinfect the box before giving it to the guests.  Room and standard 3 meals are cost to the government, however, ticket back to thailand isnt.    Only economy class is available. 

Whilst in quarantine, guests have to report temperature checks 4 times a day.

Hope that answer your questions.  This is what i witnessed when a thai was arriving back from the USA.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1165192-repatriation-surge-sees-more-than-1000-thais-return-in-two-days/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-15438940

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Huge numbers of people are infected, and never know it.  In the studies were large numbers were tested, around the world, it was discovered the death-rate is comperable to seasonal-flu.  As well, we don't know how many Thais already were infected from the intial flood of Chinese from Wuhan during Chinese New Year, because they only "test" if you become seriously ill - making the death-rate look scary, as most people don't show symptoms at all, and more just have "a cold." 

But, assuming the quarantine were really needed, with regard to those returning being limited, how hard is it to secure a hotel-floor, or even an entire guestouse for a batch of returnees?

2 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Why don't the wives of those stuck outside Thailand husbands start a petition to their government? Unlike their husbands - they are the rightful citizens of this country, they have a voice. And yet they are totally silent. As if they were quite satisfied with the situation. The money keeps coming but those annoying creatures are kept away.

How would you hear about it if they did?  Would the Thai media broadcast their pleas? 

39 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Ok guys here is the unvarnished truth

60 million Thai people suffered the cancellation of their major holiday in April

A holiday where those apart from their families historically travel home to be with them for a week

So are you few hundred guys outside Thailand prepared to make a similar sacrifice to continue to keep Thailand safe?

The answer should be a resounding 'yes' right?

Please quit the 'justification' and whining, be happy your family are safe, partly due to the thoughtful sacrifice of many Thai people who did not get to visit their families

Thank you

Songkran was postponed not cancelled.

It is a holiday (not yet announced) were by people will be able to travel home to be with their families.

In the grand scheme of "families separated" the postponement of Songkran (not cancelled) pales into insignificance compared to those families that cannot be together due to border closures.

Thankyou.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mr mr said:

ok lets put all of this to rest.

for anyone stuck outside thailand away from their family....

1. what date did you leave thailand ? 

2. what was the reason for leaving thailand ? 

answering those 2 simple questions should clear the water with the majority of people stuck outside. there will be exceptions of course  but it will become painfully clear after people answer.

1. 2nd March 

2. I work in the UK   

There's your answers 

12 minutes ago, Mattd said:

A lot of Thais did not cancel Songkran, at least 60% of the large companies in the IE where my office is located took the 3 days and a lot of Thais did travel home, even though they were not supposed to.

Sad attempt at justification,  'a lot' - how about the hundreds of thousands that did not travel home, not one of my 15 family members that usually make the journey home at songkran returned this year.

• Sad 1