Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think anyone can deny travel would involve an element of elevated risk. It always has, I've picked up some horrible flu's on flights before.

But, there are risks everywhere, just consider driving on Thailand's roads, eating in restaurants, crossing a road, even mixing with strangers in public etc... we can't live in 100% risk free world.

You have mentioned (earlier on this thread) about ensuring 100% protection from Covid-19 is to stay away - but surely with a 14 day quarantine the risks are brought down to within the acceptable limits we have lived with for a long time.

Covid-19 may never go away. I would prefer my family are exposed to Covid-19 at a period of time when the healthcare services are not overwhelmed rather than in the midst of a second wave peak.

Why settle for 'acceptable limits' when as far as I am concerned the ultimate can be achieved? That is my personal choice regarding me visiting my family, relatives, and friends in Thailand.

15 hours ago, baansgr said:

With the correct visas and mandatory quarantine, how could that be abused. 

Nice on paper, but there needs to be enforcement and follow up. How well does Thailand perform in the best of times when it comes to immigration and visa surveillance? Like western countries, Thailand is  not doing well with contact tracing.   How about health insurance? How many foreigners have health insurance?

Mandatory quarantine.  Again nice on paper, but too many people have already found loopholes and violated the intent and purpose. Did you not read of the complaints from people about their isolation accommodations? The food wasn't good enough, the service was bad, etc.  Some say, have the foreigners pay for it.  How many foreigners will hand over 50,000+ baht without moaning and groaning? The  mandatory quarantine facility is expensive and labour intensive. The return of Thai nationals pushed the option to its effective limit.

I get it. People are hurting. Many foreigners have jobs and  are financially stable. Unfortunately, there are just as many foreigners who want to come back who haven't the means to support themselves or their families and who may be infected. Until Thailand can sort that out, the door is partially closed. (Partial because foreign nationals are still entering the country. There is a dispensation for essential services providers and diplomats.) If a foreigner who is essential to Thailand's Covid19 response needs to enter, that foreigner will enter. This policy is consistent with the rest of the world's.

Thailand just needs some more time to  be able to handle the influx. Once it clears its Thai nationals backlog and has a handle on the current  spread of infection, it will allow the  farangs to enter. I expect that this will happen once other countries open their  travel portals too.  I am not being mean, but the criticism of the Thai position is unfair. The country has the right to protect itself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Quarantine, nope Ill wait for the restrictions to lift and they will soon because Thailand is going broke quickly unless maybe they can ask for the Chinese to bail them out. Oh wait the Chinese are the reason Thailand is in this big mess! What could possibly go wrong!!! Bruwhahahahahahaha!

Nice racism there. Make me lose sympathy for foreigners that cannot get back like you. 

Edited by Acrylic
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

My first concern is the after  I mean when the incoming flight ban will ends. What they will ask to us, which requirements will we must to comply in order to be admitted in the country again? I'm not married with a thai (at least not yet) but I have a thai girlfriend I'm holding a long term visa with the reentry permit and I'm worried about what they could invent for the future. They are capable of anything 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

once the flights are back in operation i wonder what the prices will be?

A mate of mine was checking the prices for early next year with his favourite airline (E******s) and the price from the UK to Thailand has already increased by 300 pounds sterling!.

7 minutes ago, Russel said:

My first concern is the after  I mean when the incoming flight ban will ends. What they will ask to us, which requirements will we must to comply in order to be admitted in the country again? I'm not married with a thai (at least not yet) but I have a thai girlfriend I'm holding a long term visa with the reentry permit and I'm worried about what they could invent for the future. They are capable of anything 

Relax. Thailand will implement rules consistent with the rest of the world: They will facilitate trade and travel entry with its key partner markets. It isn't easy. Have a look at  what the UK is going through now as it tries to implement international travel rules. The Canada- USA border is still closed for non essential  travel. Thailand is in the same position and what it does will not be any worse than what westerners will experience in their own countries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Wouldn't disagree. My bed is made with wife and 2 kids, wallet empty etc. As much as I love my kids if I had my time again I wouldn't do it, I know I would be happier and richer now if I didn't..

All my missus does now is sit look into her ipad and eat.

I like your honesty. But then on the other side, you only know what you had after it is gone. That was my experience.

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The ultimate Can be achieved. You mean eradication? Do you think SARS-CoV-2 virus can be eradicated from the world, like the Smallpox - Variola virus was ?

If SARS-CoV-2 cannot be eradicated, and I don't believe it can be, we will have to live with it, which means living with a degree of acceptable risk.

Everything we do in life comes with acceptable risk, every time we leave our homes to accept a degree of acceptable risk. Some accept the risk on a motorcycle etc others (we all do) accept the risk when traveling in our cars in Thailand.

We accept the risk of breathing in poorer quality air, we accept the risk that our locally sourced fruit and vegetables have been grown with aid of toxic pesticides some of which are illegal in other nations.

My point here, is, we accept risk is all around us. With the correct measures in place (testing, antibody checks, immunity and quarantine) can we live with the risk of Covid-19? if so, when?

[and thats excluding the debate that now we have data, Covid-19 may not be any worse than seasonal influenza]

Of course, this is a personal choice, but ultimately it will be one forced on us when the world opens up.

My question is thus: Is opening up 2 months from now any riskier than opening up now when there are quarantine measures in place - is the risk any more elevated than taking a ride in taxi?

I don't think so. But for those who still feel the risk is unacceptable, they can still self isolate and remove themselves from any risk.

The ultimate is Richard, originating from a high risk country still tracking around 300 deaths a day, if I do not visit Thailand my family, relatives and friends carry no risk from my actions, that makes me sufficiently happy to stay at home for now.

Please understand that I am aware of other everyday risks, but feel if I can eliminate an additional risk with so little effort, then a worthwhile action

38 minutes ago, mr mr said:

wow. just wow. willing to be considered second class.

What’s the diffence now? They already look down on us and if I could have a PR or citizenship then what has changed? Do you think they take or look at a foreigner with citizenship here better? And if you do then that is bizarre. One difference would be I could return home to Thailand now if outside. So I already know they don’t respect us. 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

What’s the diffence now? They already look down on us and if I could have a PR or citizenship then what has changed? Do you think they take or look at a foreigner with citizenship here better? And if you do then that is bizarre. One difference would be I could return home to Thailand now if outside. So I already know they don’t respect us. 

i  guess i would just rather not be stamped officially as a 2nd class citizen. i know where i stand here. to be honest i don't care much at all what they think of me.  

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Relax. Thailand will implement rules consistent with the rest of the world: They will facilitate trade and travel entry with its key partner markets. It isn't easy. Have a look at  what the UK is going through now as it tries to implement international travel rules. The Canada- USA border is still closed for non essential  travel. Thailand is in the same position and what it does will not be any worse than what westerners will experience in their own countries.

Maybe. But I'm still remind the covid19 certificate and health insurance. Anyway I'm not concern about the quarantine even if this would mean the death for tourism for the reasons we can easily imagine.

Then if they also put on the mandatory mask it will be the end. First because it's pointless to stop the virus, secondly, it is harmful to health because it reduces the supply of oxygen to the brain.

Moreover how can you think of walking outdoors with that thing on your face at 34/35 degrees centigrade?

17 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Tough but understandable move by the government. The Thais knew what they were dealing with and responded appropriately.

Yes, some foreigners would have respected the  self isolation requirements and yes some have legitimate reasons to return,  Unfortunately, there are alsoforeigners up to no good without  the financial means or health insurance to  take care of themselves. Some would not have respected the self isolation. Thailand did not have the means or resources to manage that exposure. Because of a few duds, everyone will suffer.  And please, no lectures on how  this is unfair when  we see in the forums the stories of how some farangs  play the system  and cheat. Sorry to the many people who  are suffering, but this is the  cost of tolerating scum who are often excused away as poor hard done folk. All it takes is a few selfish gits landing from  Italy, Russia, USA. UK to spread death and disease.

I have to agree about many foreigners that have gotten away with murder for years in Thailand. Perhaps its time for the Thai government to focus on the scum with severe measures. 500 baht fines are a joke. Make it hurt 50,000 baht fines to make it sink in . This bunch who's numbers are in the thousands need to be dealt with. It harms the foreigners who do not spend their days in bars , drunk on the streets and making themselves  a national disgrace.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Second class is only an imaginary label, not a stamp. I’ve been here a long time now and the xenophobia is a bit annoying, but I would really like to at least have a PR which is ridiculously hard to have. I have family with kids and could not bear to be without them for more than a month at a time if necessary. 

19 minutes ago, mr mr said:

i  guess i would just rather not be stamped officially as a 2nd class citizen. i know where i stand here. to be honest i don't care much at all what they think of me.  

Maybe they just do not respect you.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Russel said:

Maybe. But I'm still remind the covid19 certificate and health insurance. Anyway I'm not concern about the quarantine even if this would mean the death for tourism for the reasons we can easily imagine.

Then if they also put on the mandatory mask it will be the end. First because it's pointless to stop the virus, secondly, it is harmful to health because it reduces the supply of oxygen to the brain.

Moreover how can you think of walking outdoors with that thing on your face at 34/35 degrees centigrade?

You ever worn a mask ? Any mask including simple fabric ones ? Your statement of harmful for health is simply not true , and yes i do know what i'm talking about since i work in chemical industry and FFP2/3 masks are the least which we have to wear at some points . Many times its full gasmasks ( they are really annoying ) or oxygen bottles with masks ( and full suits also ) . When needed you do it in all temperatures and in means working , walking , climbing ... Full suits with bottles on your back are not fun , and in temperatures of 35c you can't do it more then 1h .

Walking , or even running/sports with simple masks , aren't the most pleasant thing , and yes your airflow is a bit more limited , but you certainly won't die from it , you just get tired/breathing heavier or sweating faster . In fact some people use it to increase their lungcapacity/red bloodcells , like a high altitude training ( sports training ) .

And for the working things against virus , you more then probably are wrong also . The mesh of simple masks are indeed way to large for a virus , so it can enter freely . That is , if a virus is completely on the lose . In that case the virus is probably very short lived ( well it doesn't live at all but thats beside the point ) . Most transmission is due to tiny droplets of saliva , which does contain the virus and also giving protection to the virus . These droplets are not 100% stopped by your own mask , but also these droplets can be stopped by other peoples mask . Compare it to pissing naked in a room with other people naked . No pants and everybody around you does get wet . If others wear the pants and you are pissing , well they still get wet . If you also wear the pants , only you are getting wet pants , and others do not get a drop .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, garygooner said:

Let's hope non Thais will be allowed to return to their families in July. 

I really doubt that it's all countries in the world all at once in July.

It would be like in back in Jan to Mar if I remember correctly, certain countries were in the high risk countries like Italy, China, Iran, South Korea.

My bet is only certain countries are allowed in.

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, Russel said:

And that's exactly why they don't let you in. Well done. 

You want to come and happily spread Covid19 to others.

Thais have to rely on their public hospitals. 

You, instead, will have private insurance,  get the best treatment,  and if things turn sour you probably get repatriated by air ambulance,  insurance pays. 

Just follow TVF, so many farangs don't believe in corona, don't care about others  - even their governments don't care. 

When 95% in the BTS started to wear masks, back in March, it was invariably farangs who were walking around with naked faces. 

They feel rules are not relevant. They don't even want to wear a mask - who would trust these people about quarantine?

They think they are smarter than Thais.  Just peruse TVF to see their racist superiority complex. 

These people are dumb and dangerous. 

Yes, Thailand wants their money. 

But the risks are just too high.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, jbinthai said:

EVA has 2 flights a day into Thailand via Taipei....just waiting..impatiently.  

You cannot fly EVA because you are not allowed to transfer in Taipei.

No foreigners are allowed to enter Taiwan,  not even as transit passengers.

Only Taiwanese and foreigners with residence in Taiwan. 

The Taiwanese government has stated they want to keep it this way until a vaccine is available.   

39 minutes ago, uhuh said:

The Taiwanese government has stated they want to keep it this way until a vaccine is available.   

Well, that's the other thing. Even if Thailand said we could come back, finding a plane to take us is a whole other problem. 

1 hour ago, uhuh said:

Yup, I finally gave up on EVA and requested a refund for ticket into Chiang Mai.  Between crazy current admission requirements and flight restrictions through Taipei with a 5/31 deadline to change ticket to a different date that is a total <deleted> shoot.  I have been away from my family since Jan 12th...

21 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

All it takes is a few selfish gits landing from  Italy, Russia, USA. UK to spread death and disease.

Nice trollish post, given away by the lack of mention of death and disease by way of instigator China.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Repatriation flights are on going now and non Thais have to arrange an approved hotel and coordinate through the Thai embassy in the host country. Here's one of the options becoming available but there's a huge backlog and you have to "pay to play " .

Screenshot_20200524_033345.jpg

Screenshot_20200524_033345.jpg

59 minutes ago, Greg O said:

Repatriation flights are on going now and non Thais have to arrange an approved hotel and coordinate through the Thai embassy in the host country. Here's one of the options becoming available but there's a huge backlog and you have to "pay to play " .

The entry restrictions were extended till June 30th denying entry to 99.99999% of Non Thai people.

"Under the Royal Thai Government’s emergency decree, foreigners are banned from entering the Kingdom of Thailand at all points with the exception of diplomats, cargo shipments, pilots, and foreigners with a work permit. This decree is in effect until June 30th,  and may be subject to an extension."