Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exactly, but the longstanding truth that I noticed within the first year of living here (and that has only really gotten worse, and that most people refuse to believe) is that Thailand is for Thai peo

You seriously think that's what I meant? read again...   -----   Of course, every Thai should be permitted home - that is a basic human right. As is the right for a family to be to

Tough but understandable move by the government. The Thais knew what they were dealing with and responded appropriately. Yes, some foreigners would have respected the  self isolation requirements

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think anyone can deny travel would involve an element of elevated risk. It always has, I've picked up some horrible flu's on flights before.

But, there are risks everywhere, just consider driving on Thailand's roads, eating in restaurants, crossing a road, even mixing with strangers in public etc... we can't live in 100% risk free world.

You have mentioned (earlier on this thread) about ensuring 100% protection from Covid-19 is to stay away - but surely with a 14 day quarantine the risks are brought down to within the acceptable limits we have lived with for a long time.

Covid-19 may never go away. I would prefer my family are exposed to Covid-19 at a period of time when the healthcare services are not overwhelmed rather than in the midst of a second wave peak.

Why settle for 'acceptable limits' when as far as I am concerned the ultimate can be achieved? That is my personal choice regarding me visiting my family, relatives, and friends in Thailand.

15 hours ago, baansgr said:

With the correct visas and mandatory quarantine, how could that be abused. 

Nice on paper, but there needs to be enforcement and follow up. How well does Thailand perform in the best of times when it comes to immigration and visa surveillance? Like western countries, Thailand is  not doing well with contact tracing.   How about health insurance? How many foreigners have health insurance?

Mandatory quarantine.  Again nice on paper, but too many people have already found loopholes and violated the intent and purpose. Did you not read of the complaints from people about their isolation accommodations? The food wasn't good enough, the service was bad, etc.  Some say, have the foreigners pay for it.  How many foreigners will hand over 50,000+ baht without moaning and groaning? The  mandatory quarantine facility is expensive and labour intensive. The return of Thai nationals pushed the option to its effective limit.

I get it. People are hurting. Many foreigners have jobs and  are financially stable. Unfortunately, there are just as many foreigners who want to come back who haven't the means to support themselves or their families and who may be infected. Until Thailand can sort that out, the door is partially closed. (Partial because foreign nationals are still entering the country. There is a dispensation for essential services providers and diplomats.) If a foreigner who is essential to Thailand's Covid19 response needs to enter, that foreigner will enter. This policy is consistent with the rest of the world's.

Thailand just needs some more time to  be able to handle the influx. Once it clears its Thai nationals backlog and has a handle on the current  spread of infection, it will allow the  farangs to enter. I expect that this will happen once other countries open their  travel portals too.  I am not being mean, but the criticism of the Thai position is unfair. The country has the right to protect itself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Quarantine, nope Ill wait for the restrictions to lift and they will soon because Thailand is going broke quickly unless maybe they can ask for the Chinese to bail them out. Oh wait the Chinese are the reason Thailand is in this big mess! What could possibly go wrong!!! Bruwhahahahahahaha!

Nice racism there. Make me lose sympathy for foreigners that cannot get back like you. 

Edited by Acrylic
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
48 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I would almost accept being a second class citizen or resident. Fat chance on that though. 

wow. just wow. willing to be considered second class.

My first concern is the after  I mean when the incoming flight ban will ends. What they will ask to us, which requirements will we must to comply in order to be admitted in the country again? I'm not married with a thai (at least not yet) but I have a thai girlfriend I'm holding a long term visa with the reentry permit and I'm worried about what they could invent for the future. They are capable of anything 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

once the flights are back in operation i wonder what the prices will be?

A mate of mine was checking the prices for early next year with his favourite airline (E******s) and the price from the UK to Thailand has already increased by 300 pounds sterling!.

7 minutes ago, Russel said:

My first concern is the after  I mean when the incoming flight ban will ends. What they will ask to us, which requirements will we must to comply in order to be admitted in the country again? I'm not married with a thai (at least not yet) but I have a thai girlfriend I'm holding a long term visa with the reentry permit and I'm worried about what they could invent for the future. They are capable of anything 

Relax. Thailand will implement rules consistent with the rest of the world: They will facilitate trade and travel entry with its key partner markets. It isn't easy. Have a look at  what the UK is going through now as it tries to implement international travel rules. The Canada- USA border is still closed for non essential  travel. Thailand is in the same position and what it does will not be any worse than what westerners will experience in their own countries.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Wouldn't disagree. My bed is made with wife and 2 kids, wallet empty etc. As much as I love my kids if I had my time again I wouldn't do it, I know I would be happier and richer now if I didn't..

All my missus does now is sit look into her ipad and eat.

I like your honesty. But then on the other side, you only know what you had after it is gone. That was my experience.

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The ultimate Can be achieved. You mean eradication? Do you think SARS-CoV-2 virus can be eradicated from the world, like the Smallpox - Variola virus was ?

If SARS-CoV-2 cannot be eradicated, and I don't believe it can be, we will have to live with it, which means living with a degree of acceptable risk.

Everything we do in life comes with acceptable risk, every time we leave our homes to accept a degree of acceptable risk. Some accept the risk on a motorcycle etc others (we all do) accept the risk when traveling in our cars in Thailand.

We accept the risk of breathing in poorer quality air, we accept the risk that our locally sourced fruit and vegetables have been grown with aid of toxic pesticides some of which are illegal in other nations.

My point here, is, we accept risk is all around us. With the correct measures in place (testing, antibody checks, immunity and quarantine) can we live with the risk of Covid-19? if so, when?

[and thats excluding the debate that now we have data, Covid-19 may not be any worse than seasonal influenza]

Of course, this is a personal choice, but ultimately it will be one forced on us when the world opens up.

My question is thus: Is opening up 2 months from now any riskier than opening up now when there are quarantine measures in place - is the risk any more elevated than taking a ride in taxi?

I don't think so. But for those who still feel the risk is unacceptable, they can still self isolate and remove themselves from any risk.

The ultimate is Richard, originating from a high risk country still tracking around 300 deaths a day, if I do not visit Thailand my family, relatives and friends carry no risk from my actions, that makes me sufficiently happy to stay at home for now.

Please understand that I am aware of other everyday risks, but feel if I can eliminate an additional risk with so little effort, then a worthwhile action

38 minutes ago, mr mr said:

wow. just wow. willing to be considered second class.

What’s the diffence now? They already look down on us and if I could have a PR or citizenship then what has changed? Do you think they take or look at a foreigner with citizenship here better? And if you do then that is bizarre. One difference would be I could return home to Thailand now if outside. So I already know they don’t respect us. 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

What’s the diffence now? They already look down on us and if I could have a PR or citizenship then what has changed? Do you think they take or look at a foreigner with citizenship here better? And if you do then that is bizarre. One difference would be I could return home to Thailand now if outside. So I already know they don’t respect us. 

i  guess i would just rather not be stamped officially as a 2nd class citizen. i know where i stand here. to be honest i don't care much at all what they think of me.  

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Relax. Thailand will implement rules consistent with the rest of the world: They will facilitate trade and travel entry with its key partner markets. It isn't easy. Have a look at  what the UK is going through now as it tries to implement international travel rules. The Canada- USA border is still closed for non essential  travel. Thailand is in the same position and what it does will not be any worse than what westerners will experience in their own countries.

Maybe. But I'm still remind the covid19 certificate and health insurance. Anyway I'm not concern about the quarantine even if this would mean the death for tourism for the reasons we can easily imagine.

Then if they also put on the mandatory mask it will be the end. First because it's pointless to stop the virus, secondly, it is harmful to health because it reduces the supply of oxygen to the brain.

Moreover how can you think of walking outdoors with that thing on your face at 34/35 degrees centigrade?