Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

4 hours ago, uhuh said:

And that's exactly why they don't let you in. Well done. 

You want to come and happily spread Covid19 to others.

Thais have to rely on their public hospitals. 

You, instead, will have private insurance,  get the best treatment,  and if things turn sour you probably get repatriated by air ambulance,  insurance pays. 

Just follow TVF, so many farangs don't believe in corona, don't care about others  - even their governments don't care. 

When 95% in the BTS started to wear masks, back in March, it was invariably farangs who were walking around with naked faces. 

They feel rules are not relevant. They don't even want to wear a mask - who would trust these people about quarantine?

They think they are smarter than Thais.  Just peruse TVF to see their racist superiority complex. 

These people are dumb and dangerous. 

Yes, Thailand wants their money. 

But the risks are just too high.

Yeh just close all borders forever, job done

Are you for real??

Maybe you should live in a zorb ball and let the rest of the world get on with living.......not in fear

There are literally thousands of ways to die and this is just another one.

Maybe they should ban mosquitoes too, they originally came from South Africa.

Dengue fever kills plenty of people too

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

They should re-open borders but only allow entry to those that come from countries (or spent at-least the preceding month in that country) that are confirmed to be free of the virus.

There is a 20 minute test being developed in the UK but even that would cause huge queues entering the country

You've just got to let nature take it's course, the economic costs are just too great to carry on in this catatonic state

• Like 2

You know what , this virus isn't going away

Viruses tend to kill people who are weak

A lot of people in Thailand right now have no money

No money = little food, little food = worsening health 

Worsening health = even more susceptible to viruses

In the Bengal famine hardly anybody died of starvation

Over 90% died of malaria and other viruses because their bodies were too weak to fight 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

They should re-open borders but only allow entry to those that come from countries (or spent at-least the preceding month in that country) that are confirmed to be free of the virus.

Right, and should every foreigner in Thailand not be expulsed to his home country, on whatever what visa he is? 

After all if there are only Thais in Thailand anymore, only Thais would be able to transmit the virus to their  compatriot. 

• Haha 1

If you say so but my gf is confirmed on a repatriation flight from UAE.(she's not Thai she's traveling on a UK Passport.)  As I said before each person has to coordinate with Thai immigration In the host country and pay for passage in advance and pay in advance for quarantine accomodations on arrival. It's a tedious process because of the ambiguous procedures the backlog is getting bigger and unfortunately many Thai people there are service workers that lost their jobs weeks ago and are out of money. Now as Ramadan winds down UAE is imposing a stricter curfew as well.

No end to the madness...

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

At what point do you think people should be able to visit their wives then? If we are to believe the Thai government's figures then infection levels are close to zero. I doubt they will get much better than that until there's a vaccine. The facts are that until that happens, any opening up will probably start some level of new infections. Are you suggesting Thailand stays closed until the virus has gone completely? The long term effects of that will cause more deaths than the 56 they currently list for Covid 19.

Are you aware that before Covid 19, over 4000 people die each year in Thailand from normal (Type A & B) flu. Were you calling for protection from flu for your family before this Covid outbreak then?

And no, I'm not claiming normal flu is the same as Covid 19 but we are talking about restrictions and the need for them.  If Thailand's figures are so worrying that they have to close the country, why don't they do the same for flu which kills far more people?

Yes, in other countries Covid has ripped through the population quickly so it seems to be very contagious but, again if the figures to be believed - it didn't rip through Thailand. That, despite that fact that very little was done in terms of restrictions for almost 2 months following the first known infection on 13 January. They didn't even stop the Chinese from coming in until well into March I believe.

With recent infections claimed to range from 0 to 3 and a total of 56 deaths in 4 months, don't you think the hysteria is misplaced? What do they want - a sterile country?

In the UK still running at 300 deaths a day, schools are not yet back in action, people are still self isolating, the full extent of the damage the virus causes are still gradually being revealed, the death rate is down from close to 1000 a day. However currently the risk from countries such as the UK is way too high, that being the case Currently a total ban is the best policy - in my opinion

As stated previously, sure my family are at risk every day, even so, I am not selfish enough to contemplate travel from a high risk country where exposure to an additional threat could transpire. By all the oft repeated dialogue on Tvisa they have enough to deal with already!!

Another factor is that right now if a farang returns to the village and covid appears in the following weeks rightly or wrongly he will carry the blame for the consequences for the rest of his life. That is also a risk in the current situation I do not wish to take. 

I see much reference to not closing the borders earlier, for whatever reason the virus version if it did spread does not appear to have caused the same damage as elsewhere, so that is a moot point, the current unknown is the damage a 'European' version could inflict, therefore I understand and support caution.

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 6:02 AM, geriatrickid said:

Tough but understandable move by the government. The Thais knew what they were dealing with and responded appropriately.

Yes, some foreigners would have respected the  self isolation requirements and yes some have legitimate reasons to return,  Unfortunately, there are alsoforeigners up to no good without  the financial means or health insurance to  take care of themselves. Some would not have respected the self isolation. Thailand did not have the means or resources to manage that exposure. Because of a few duds, everyone will suffer.  And please, no lectures on how  this is unfair when  we see in the forums the stories of how some farangs  play the system  and cheat. Sorry to the many people who  are suffering, but this is the  cost of tolerating scum who are often excused away as poor hard done folk. All it takes is a few selfish gits landing from  Italy, Russia, USA. UK to spread death and disease.

Correct, so you are away from your family for a few months, big deal, spare a thought for submariners that go on 3 month patrol and don't see anyone

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 10:55 AM, Don Mega said:

Imagine the outrage if Thailand refused entry to its own people, Iam sure the idea was tabled though and got voted down !!

Not really the point is it?  A situation where every country refused to allow it's own citizens to return is clearly not tenable to the world at large, and shouldn't be. 

On 5/23/2020 at 6:02 AM, geriatrickid said:

Some would not have respected the self isolation.

How many returning Thais respected this self-isolation measure?  I have read a number of articles of Thais returning from overseas and dispersing throughout the nation.  Why should the rules for foreigners be more stringent?

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

I didn't know that there are flights out so does that mean that British citizens etc can fly out anytime they want?

Yes of course they can. Do a search for flights on Skyscanner. As I said I know a fact that EVA, KLM and Luthansa are flying from Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greg O said:

If you say so but my gf is confirmed on a repatriation flight from UAE.(she's not Thai she's traveling on a UK Passport.)  As I said before each person has to coordinate with Thai immigration In the host country and pay for passage in advance and pay in advance for quarantine accomodations on arrival. It's a tedious process because of the ambiguous procedures the backlog is getting bigger and unfortunately many Thai people there are service workers that lost their jobs weeks ago and are out of money. Now as Ramadan winds down UAE is imposing a stricter curfew as well.

No end to the madness...

This is bad Thai brains at work. She would have a test for COVID. And negative should be able to self quarantine. It's just THAI scamming at its best