Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, carry on working and bring lots of money when can go back.

+1, agreed. They should carry on working and stop the bitching and come back with lots of money.

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

So if you knew the airports in UAE were closing why did you not come home to be with your family?

Chasing the money one suspects?

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. The virus was already super serious during end of February when Richard decided it was "smart" to fly to the UAE for 4 weeks of work.

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 5

5 minutes ago, david_dyer said:

I think best bet is to get a 90 day visa to be safe and be prepared for quarantine, with new baby i plan to quarantine on same property just to make sure nothing is carried into our village. Already plan long service leave as soon as i can get a flight

Agreed, no embassy staff here though. They repatriated or they don't respond to farangs for information. My plan will be to try and get to a friendly common asia country like Korea and apply there if possible. Then after i quarantine for 2 week in Bangkok my wife and I have agreed that I would quarantine for an additional 2 weeks in our condo. I dont believe 2 weeks is likely enough to reduce risk to zero, but thats only my medically uneducated decision.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

A little WuFlu goes a long way too...I'd prefer me or my family don't die from it.

If you are of advanced-age or have diabetes or obesity issues, you might want to self-quarantine.  We have the data now - this is not dangerous to healthy non-elderly persons.

If in the risk-bracket, you would also want to encourage as many healthy-others to go out and mingle vigourously, so herd-immunity will be reached sooner, so you can join them ASAP. 

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

The Durex survey showed 59% of Thai women admitted to being unfaithful.

It used to bother me in my first year here, then I got over it and accepted life for what it is.

True, some women are dirty scumbags but most when they have a fit, caring, loving family man that is taking care of them won't cheat. If they lose you, they go back to the trash they had before you, and that is truly losing face. And where did they take the survey in Thailand? Pattaya, Isaan , Chiang Mai, and how many participants from what areas? 35 million women in Thailand and a survey of a thousand or so doesn't give much of  an answer.

Edited by fredwiggy

If foreigners can't come to Thailand for xx months, maybe Thailand should allow its citizens to fly out to their spouses instead.

I don't see the reason why it has to be one way.

7 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

Think everyone here is struggling with the part which determines whether you are just heartless or simply just a complete and utter <deleted>head. No difference at all in allowing Thai's in or Foreigners other than nationality.  Those with Thai families should be able to enter along with Thais. Maybe they should kick you out to wherever you came from away from your Thai family so you can grasp reality here.  As for your fear of the "WuFlu", either grow up and stop beleiving and following everything you hear or go lock lock yourself in a room somewhere while th rest of us get on with life. 

1 less person allowed entry equal one less potential person to spread the virus, allowing non essential travel is utter madness and the Thai's (like many countries) are doing the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Just now, EricTh said:

If foreigners can't come to Thailand for xx months, maybe Thailand should allow its citizens to fly out to their spouses instead.

If they fly out can they enter the country their spouse is ?

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Is there any restrictions in place saying Thai nationals aren't allowed to fly out to be with their spouses in the spouses country?

Just now, JackThompson said:

If you are of advanced-age or have diabetes or obesity issues, you might want to self-quarantine.  We have the data now - this is not dangerous to healthy non-elderly persons.

If in the risk-bracket, you would also want to encourage as many healthy-others to go out and mingle vigourously, so herd-immunity will be reached sooner, so you can join them ASAP. 

From age 3 to 100 and everything in between. It isn't just about old and with pre existing conditions, although that is most cases......https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/04/13/covid-young-people

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

What about this do you NOT understand? 
If five thousand came in tomorrow, and all were quarantined and then tested and released, there would be NO risk at all to anyone - not even the tiny fraction of the population who are actually put at risk from this virus.

I am struggling to believe you are being sincere.

The "then tested" part of that would be a problem here.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Same issue with Australia letting out 28 million prisoners to tend to urgent matters and going back to countries where they have set up homes and families, one can understand the restrictions put on holiday makers but many of us just wanna go back home...

28 million prisoners?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

What about this do you NOT understand? 
If five thousand came in tomorrow, and all were quarantined and then tested and released, there would be NO risk at all to anyone - not even the tiny fraction of the population who are actually put at risk from this virus.

Quarantine is not 100% effective though, an article I read earlier mentioned 97%.

If thats the case then of those 5000 people 150 will possible head out into the community and spread the virus.

Do you seriously think this is an acceptable risk just because old matey has not been able to give his kids cuddle ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

True, some women are dirty scumbags but most when they have a fit, caring, loving family man that is taking care of them won't cheat. If they lose you, they go back to the trash they had before you, and that is truly losing face. And where did they take the survey in Thailand? Pattaya, Isaan , Chiang Mai, and how many participants from what areas? 35 million women in Thailand and a survey of a thousand or so doesn't give much of  an answer.

How unpleasant ....... 'dirty scumbags' ..... 'trash' ......... I think not.

Judge not lest ..... etc., etc.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I guess it depends what the objectives of the lock down is in the eyes of the Thai Government.

I always understood lock down as a measure to prevent further exponential spread of Covid-19 such that healthcare services are so overwhelmed that those in high risk groups and those who suffer extreme symptoms may not have access to critical care facilities (Critical Care Units, Intensive Care Units, High Dependency Care Units).

The healthcare services have not been overwhelmed. While the extent, effects and impact of Covid-19 without the benefit of any other knowledge lock-down was the correct decision. However, we now know a lot more and the numbers, case fatality rates, all stats are significantly lower than modeled.

This is the point.  The goal was never to "stop" the virus itself - just ensure that the few severely impacted could get medical-care, by slowing the spread.  The models were based on junk-code - bad software - combined with bad input-data.  Now all govts have to pretend they "did the right thing" by wrecking lives, businesses, and entire economies.  It's all "CYA" now.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder if this virus is any more severe than seasonal influenza. Given that between 300,000 and 650,000 people die each year from seasonal influenza, I would like to see updated models based on the latest case fatality rates.

It isn't more dangerous overall - slightly more to over 65s - but FAR less (few or no symptoms, even) to those who are younger.  Look at the updated Sweeden data - risk of death per age-group vs risk of dying if contracting COVID.  For almost all demographics, the risk of death by something else is higher.  And that was with NO lockdown - just gatherings over 50 persons stopped.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BeltAndRoad said:

28 million prisoners?

Lol that's more than the entire population of Australia! I guess you could say Aussies are prisoners as they are stuck on a big island, but there are just under 25 million people on the island. Don't know where the other 3 million people came from by that poster lol

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

This is the point.  The goal was never to "stop" the virus itself - just ensure that the few severely impacted could get medical-care, by slowing the spread.  The models were based on junk-code - bad software - combined with bad input-data.  Now all govts have to pretend they "did the right thing" by wrecking lives, businesses, and entire economies.  It's all "CYA" now.

I doubt the freedom we previously had to move between countries will ever come back.

Just now, BritManToo said:

How unpleasant ....... 'dirty scumbags' ..... I think not.

Judge not lest ..... etc., etc.

If the shoe fits. I judge because I wouldn't stoop so low as to be unfaithful to a wife that I love and care about. The worst way you can hurt someone is to cheat on them. That is a very disturbed mind at work. If you don't want to be with someone because they have hurt you in some way, leave.

• Haha 1