Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

I am one of many (I am in Australia) foreigners caught out with the lockdowns.  There are many more who have not joined the Facebook page as well.  The 150 is just a small percentage of us affected.  

The conditions of entry just prior to the shutdown and which me and others had put into place but just missed out - having a COVID19 negative test result with accompanying lab report and medical certificate from the doctor and within 72 hours of arrival into Thailand.  Then health insurance that covers up to USD$100,000 of cover for COVID19.  Also of course a valid visa - in my case a retirement visa (non imm O-A) that means I had to provide proof of income/savings over 800,000 baht.  

So ticking the boxes - negative test, health insurance, valid visa, sufficient funds.  Quarantine on arrival. 

On a humanitarian aspect, those of us who normally reside in Thailand - we ask the Thai government to please prioritise us over the subsequent allowing of tourists to return (that will require greater management and risk).  Our pleas are not for leisure, but for compassion and necessity. 

Most of us can provide copies of lease contracts (yes me and many others are paying rent still in Thailand and paying rent abroad - double expenses) or a Chanote.  We are also paying electricity (eg fridge and other appliances still running) and other ongoing costs (WIFI, water connection, other registration fees).  

We are prepared to be subsequently re-tested upon arrival into Thailand, and then quarantined.  For economic reasons I am hoping that if hotels are chosen as the places to be quarantined that the costs are not exorbitant, as many of us have been economically impacted financially (albeit being financially able to meet costs) from market crashes and depletion from other investment instruments. 

This is extremely distressing, stressful times for those of us not only coping with all that COVID19 has thrown at us emotionally, financially, but being stranded too.  Personally, I have been living out of a suitcase packed for 3 weeks of clothing and limited possessions.  Now it is entering winter here and have Summer clothing only.   

Alternatively, for those of us with proof of residence, perhaps a tracking app, checks by authorities who can also re-test, and alerts to neighbours to call police if they notice any farang breaching their quarantine.  So a self quarantine system - stay at home for 14 days.  Even a wrist band that has to be worn, cannot be removed without breaking a security seal and if outside then you will be clearly seen to be in breach (plus phone app perhaps).  

Plenty of risk mitigation measures as you can see that can be put into place that will ensure we do not place additional risk to others.  

Thai landlords will be keen to see their farang tenants returning as leases are likely nearing their end dates and if this drags on too much longer, those leases will not be renewed and many Thai owners will face zero rental incomes as well.  I feel sad for them, like my great Thai landlord, because it may come a time soon I have to end the lease, pay for removalists to go through all my personal belongings, pack them and put into storage.  Another big cost.  

We are begging the great Thai Kingdom to recognise our pleas and grant allowances for us to get back soon.  Sawadee Krup.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Their first mistake was thinking that Thailand recognises them as special cases through marriage, children with a Thai spouse, retirees or any other method that they have been using to cling on to a life in a country that does not value or want them.

A harsh wake up call to be sure, but better late than never. 

Their second mistake was not fully understanding their status and rights as temporary visitors for purposes other than tourism. 

They are not residents, they are not immigrants, they have not emigrated to Thailand, they do not live here permanently, and most importantly, they do not have a right to return.

I couldn't put it any better than that.

Perfectly apparent every day in my 10 years in Thailand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Their first mistake was thinking that Thailand recognises them as special cases through marriage, children with a Thai spouse, retirees or any other method that they have been using to cling on to a life in a country that does not value or want them.

A harsh wake up call to be sure, but better late than never. 

Their second mistake was not fully understanding their status and rights as temporary visitors for purposes other than tourism. 

They are not residents, they are not immigrants, they have not emigrated to Thailand, they do not live here permanently, and most importantly, they do not have a right to return.

Whats worse is the fact they are continually being undermined and attacked in their countries of birth also.

Not really sure about all this bleating to be honest. How about manning up and just accepting it for what it is? As long as the family is safe and has means of cash etc, time will soon pass before the blissful re-union.

Did out war heroes in the 1st and 2nd world war, and more recently serviceman in Afghanistan and Iraq start bleating about not being with the family for a few months, and all while risking their own lifes?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

As it is difficult for families not to be together ALL the times, so it is common to millions of migrant workers all over the world for are period of many months or even a year. Not all have chosen this freely, most because of financial burdens.

During corona this situation is forced on all of us alike...Worldwide; what would be happen when the world would make all the time exceptions and try to make every individual happy...CHAOS.

For the sake of health and security let us be patiently until the end of the restriction...after all what are few months in a lifespan. 

ps. just for the record I am also stuck in Thailand and can not flight home as my resident country banned all flights, and I am not living in my birth country (Passport) for 35 years. I also lost my job in Europe due travel and tourism restriction...have to sit this out and hopefully re-start again. Stay healthy and positive...

14 minutes ago, Millcx said:

And what difference is the returning Thais .. they are put into quarantine .. No difference .. If these family members are prepared for the 14 day then they should 100% be allowed back to their families .. your post is of a lonely person that needs to get out more

Its all about numbers, why deal with 10,000 people (hypothetical) when you can deal with 2000 people (hypothetical).

Thailand, like most other countries are their for their own.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Its unfortunate. I was one who had to return for work now stuck but life goes on. Whilst there is Skype and Transferwise no one is gonna starve or lose comms as sad as it is. 

Yes, modern technology does soften the blow a little amidst all this insanity.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Plenty of risk mitigation measures as you can see that can be put into place

And who foots the bill ?

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Not really sure about all this bleating to be honest. How about manning up and just accepting it for what it is? As long as the family is safe and has means of cash etc, time will soon pass before the blissful re-union.

Did out war heroes in the 1st and 2nd world war, and more recently serviceman in Afghanistan and Iraq start bleating about not being with the family for a few months, and all while risking their own lifes?

If it were me, I would have just walked away from the house/gf/kids.

No money, no contact ...... sorry, your government doesn't want me here, so I'm gone.

I'm too old to worry all that much about anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

So, why not come back to Thailand asap to be with their families when they knew about the virus since January and how bad it was? They had nearly 3 months to come back to Thailand before things were shut down.

January?  Back when the WHO was repeating the CCP's story that it did not spread person-to-person (though they locked Wuhan out of the rest of China), and both Thailand AND our home-country "experts," were saying the same?  

Thailand was letting in the fleeing Wuhan (and other areas) folks throughout February - cashing in on the Chinese New Year travel-period.  "Restricting Travel" was called Xenophobic and even "racist," at that time, in the world-press. 

• Like 2

Yep, in one. The most amusing of all is the ones that survive here on 25k a month here and have the audacity to think they can shout, scream, criticize, complain etc, while being full of entitlement. The shear arrogance of these people (and they know who they are) is breathtaking. Quite simply, they are NOT wanted here at all.

Ask the business owners where they shop if they are "not wanted" here - as they spend 3x more each, than the average Thai.  And, of course, that is the low-end of spending by expats here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The best way to combat this would be for us all to petition our home countries for reciprocal laws.

The Thais will never even think about changing it otherwise until it affects them in the pocket.

Which countries don't currently have closed border restrictions in place ?

1 minute ago, Darksidedude said:

A lot of people work rotational work in other county's especially oil workers like myself fly in fly out month on month off or whatever, people who were due to fly into Thailand for their R & R back to their family's cannot get back in, there are also many folk on retirement visas they may have had to go back to their home country's for business reasons or visa reasons, i can only get a spouse visa outside of Thailand, think before you speak man.

Again back to recognising your status.

None of that matters.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Ask the business owners where they shop if they are "not wanted" here - as they spend 3x more each, than the average Thai.  And, of course, that is the low-end of spending by expats here.

I'm talking about the gov. You think they care 1 iota about the poor farang hiding out here on his 25k a month? 

7 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

A lot of people work rotational work in other county's especially oil workers like myself fly in fly out month on month off or whatever, people who were due to fly into Thailand for their R & R back to their family's cannot get back in, there are also many folk on retirement visas they may have had to go back to their home country's for business reasons or visa reasons, i can only get a spouse visa outside of Thailand, think before you speak man.

And your point is what? The Thai gov don't need or care about these types. At all.

• Sad 1

Ironically, I wouldn't mind being 'stuck' outside now. Cooler climate, a chance to re-valuate things without distractions, missus not in my ear, proper food available, etc. But that's just me.

Re-evaluating is what every foreigner should be doing now, especially those stuck outside the country.

Think about what you are doing.

Assess the risks going forward.

• Like 1