BANGKOK
rooster59

Drug touted by Trump to treat COVID-19 linked to higher death risk - study

1 hour ago, Onrai said:

By differing accounts Trump has cried wolf 15,000-18,000 times during his presidency. By this time the press may reflexively assume everything he says is incorrect. Who could blame them? The record clearly shows he is a pathological liar bending truth to fit his own self serving version of reality. 

Unfortunately the press is so polarized in their opinions and views it is impossible for most to be objective anymore. 

I think Trump is P.T. Barnum incarnate. It is almost impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff in his remarks. The press pouncing on Trump about taking Hydroxycholoroquine is not worthy of credible journalism. I took the drug as does everyone in West Africa or any place malaria is present. It is a simple choice- take the drug or get malaria. That the press can malign a drug that has been around 65+ years is unconscionable. Sure if you take it indiscriminately it can cause damage. You can also die from taking too much Tylenol. 

'It is a simple choice- take the drug or get malaria.'

Not quite that simple.

Decades ago I went on holiday from the UK to Malaysia and Singapore. One of the drugs I was prescribed to prevent malaria was Hydroxycholoroquine,

I still contracted malaria, so although it vastly reduces the chance, it's not 100% successful.

Perhaps there is a protocol where the malaria meds would be useful for Covid that isn't known yet. For example with a specific demographic of patients at a specific stage of the disease at a specific dosage combined with other specific medications or supplements. But so far absolutely nothing appears to be scientifically proven on this. It shouldn't matter either way that a few bombastic populist non-medical celebrities (45 and Bolsonaro) have irrationally and bizarrely touted these meds. But they should never have been given special first in line consideration (as has obviously already happened) for political reasons over other possibly much more promising medications. Finding effective therapies is important and can make a big difference. But we do not need fake snake oil or bleach drinks. We need the real thing.

• Like 1