BANGKOK
rooster59

Drug touted by Trump to treat COVID-19 linked to higher death risk - study

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

'Increasing but inconsistent evidence of its effectiveness' means there is increasing evidence. Unfortunately there is not increasing evidence.

Really!! Would you argue that the reason there's no increasing evidence is because there's no increasing, or continuing, research?

Check out the following article.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/03/world-health-organization-resumes-coronavirus-trial-on-malaria-drug-hydroxychloroquine-after-safety-concerns.html

"The World Health Organization is resuming its trial of hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug backed by President Donald Trump to combat the deadly coronavirus, after temporarily halting research over safety concerns."

"White House physician Dr. Sean Conley released a memo that said that after discussing evidence for and against hydroxychloroquine with Trump, they concluded “the potential benefit from treatment outweighed the relative risks.”

As the research continues, the evidence, either in favour of, or against the use of Hydroxyquinoline, increases. Hopefully, the inconsistencies will decrease and the picture will be become clearer as to the benefits and the harm, the appropriate dosage, and for whom the benefits might outweigh the risks, and for whom the risks might outweigh the benefits.

As I mentioned before, at this stage the jury is still out.

On 6/6/2020 at 3:46 AM, Phil McCaverty said:

And none for because the research hasn't been done. Ergo, you don't proscribe a dangerous drug to someone who is not sick if you have no idea if its of benefit or not.

So you know better than the doctors prescribing it?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, candide said:

So the FDA didn't ban the drug for use with covid patients ! Isn't it true when a drug is so dangerous the FDA out and out bans its use and clinical trials!

"However, because the drugs are on the market and approved for other uses, it could still be prescribed for "off-label" use in COVID patients. Clinical trials studying the drugs can also continue. The World Health Organization and the National Institutes of Health are still conducting trails".

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/502748-fda-withdraws-emergency-use-authorization-for-hydroxychloroquine

Edited by riclag

12 minutes ago, riclag said:

So the FDA didn't ban the drug for use with covid patients ! Isn't it true when a drug is so dangerous the FDA out and out bans its use and clinical trials!

"However, because the drugs are on the market and approved for other uses, it could still be prescribed for "off-label" use in COVID patients. Clinical trials studying the drugs can also continue. The World Health Organization and the National Institutes of Health are still conducting trails".

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/502748-fda-withdraws-emergency-use-authorization-for-hydroxychloroquine

Tss tss.  So now you trust the WHO? 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, riclag said:

The FDA can't ban a drug for a specific use if it is already approved for another.

25 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

Actually it is still approved for off label use

No, it's not approved for off label use. It's an approved drug and therefore can be used off label.

13 hours ago, bendejo said:

Well. you managed to say something I can agree with, but I see it in a different way: DT is destroying the country, dismantling what he can and breaking alliances with the democratized world and instead embracing dictators, and in some way has made himself beholden to Putin. 

In my view any non-American DT supporter is anti-U.S. and is cheering on the destruction of the country.  Either that or they are being directly compensated to spread propaganda on the net.

I may make an occasional comment about certain characters running other countries but I won't keep on about it as in the end I'm "not a member of the family," it's not my country.  Every place in the world has things going on an outsider wouldn't know about, whether a country or a moo ban. 

For someone to posture that they know so incredibly much about a place they haven't lived in for a time is highly arrogant.

And if someone is doing this as a job my advice is to find other work -- I hear they are looking for test subjects for various cleaning products to fight Covid-19.  🙂

Actually, being a citizen of a country is no guarantee that one knows anything about how its government works and being a non-citizen is no guarantee that they know less than a  citizen. There's plenty of hard information out there.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:05 PM, johnpetersen said:

Just because doctors wear white coats, that doesn't make them scientists. Scientists know better than do doctors.

Doctors prescribe way too many antibiotics. Experts offer tips on cutting back

https://www.statnews.com/2016/01/19/overprescribing-antibiotics-advice/

Doctors Heavily Overprescribed Antibiotics Early in the Pandemic

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/health/coronavirus-antibiotics-drugs.html

Ah yes, the *experts*. The question is, which *experts*? And hydroxychloroquine is not an antibiotic- so I'm not sure why the moving of the goal posts.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Ah yes, the *experts*. The question is, which *experts*? And hydroxychloroquine is not an antibiotic- so I'm not sure why the moving of the goal posts.

The experts who overwhelmingly agree. Not some outliers. The very rare cases when outliers are correct is not a good justification for pursuing a scientifically dubious course of treatment. But if you believe otherwise, the maybe you should consider investing your saving in the lottery. After all, people win at the lottery all the time. Maybe you'll bet amazingly lucky, too.

What does it matter if it's antibiotics or something else? Doctors often prescribe drugs when they shouldn't. They are not bound by law to follow evidence based medicine. Once a drug is approved for treatment, then it's available for off label usage. That doesn't make it sound or sensible.

• Haha 1

Just now, johnpetersen said:

The experts who overwhelmingly agree. Not some outliers. The very rare cases when outliers are correct is not a good justification for pursuing a scientifically dubious course of treatment. But if you believe otherwise, the maybe you should consider investing your saving in the lottery. After all, people win at the lottery all the time. Maybe you'll bet amazingly lucky, too.

What does it matter if it's antibiotics or something else? Doctors often prescribe drugs when they shouldn't. They are not bound by law to follow evidence based medicine. Once a drug is approved for treatment, then it's available for off label usage. That doesn't make it sound or sensible.

Great! So now all you have to do is prove a specific doctor is doing something wrong. Best of luck to you.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Great! So now all you have to do is prove a specific doctor is doing something wrong. Best of luck to you.

This makes no sense at all. The subject is off label prescribing for a drug that the evidence shows is not effective for that use. What's your point?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Ah yes, the *experts*. The question is, which *experts*?

Hmmm.....When did I read that already?

I remember! When you were downplaying the epidemic risk and accusing MSM and Dems of creating panic by exaggerating the threat of an outbreak! 😂

• Like 1