Covid plus lack of democracy ‘spells disaster’ for Thailand

rooster59

Award this man the bravery award of the century. A true patriot. Yes the silken suit crew all born destroyers. Anti farang monsters. Hell bent on destroying the economy and the lower end citizens lives. Happiness to who ? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Well spoken words and in my eyes some kind of a solution if it ever happens . But to celabrate something that didn't bring any change in 6 years is a bit over the top i think . 

Not over the top done nothing but steal

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Only one minister among the [UK] cabinet is a qualified scientist

I was rather stumped as to who that might be.  Lots of people with legal degrees or backgrounds in PPE.  I had to look it up:  The Rt. Hon. Thérèse Coffey MP.

The next question then, who on earth is she?

• Haha 1

if you kill the economy over LESS DEATHS in 4 months for a virus that kills less people on the roads DAILY ...

reality is:  everybody will & must get over with this virus, that is called HERD immunity

but if the "shepard of the country" is dumb as rocks

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, lovinglife said:

If only Professor Anusorn were PM. Wise words. 

Very true as nothing has changed for Thai working people in fact worse and as usual rich get richer and the workers on the streets in food lines no doubt. 

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Did you read the title of the thread? Did you understand that the article was all about Thailand and written by a Thai? 

Did you understand that back in 2019 that there was an election and that the results were fudged by the EC so that the current government could be elected (even though the PM wasn't)? Did you understand that the EC banned a political opposition party and that since the election they have been deliberately targeting the former leader of the FFP with any offence that they can make up and fly?

Do you understand that under previous civilian governments the senate was an elected body but under this one there was no election, no transparency and no accountability?

And you talk of bias.

As true as gold, ...but only a part of the senate was elected then (and now not at all, for the newcomers) while the Shins' party (when Poo Yingluck did her PM inpersonation) wanted it all elected BUT authorizing family members and married couples in both Parliament and Senate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The 2014 coup-makers led by then-Army chief Prayut Chan-o-cha vowed to implement changes that would halt corruption and heal the political divide.

typical promises made by any/all politicians when they want to get elected (I know, I know he was not elected) or they want to grab/steal the power ..... and absolutely no intention of implementing

• Like 2

Not my government, not my country.  Sure, I hope Thailand returns to the rule of law, and some form of democracy.  But for me, just want a fair Baht price, so I can live a good retirement here.

• Like 2

Just now, Isaan sailor said:

Not my government, not my country.  Sure, I hope Thailand returns to the rule of law, and some form of democracy.  But for me, just want a fair Baht price, so I can live a good retirement here.

am with you man

• Thanks 1

He says a lot of good things, but then so has every prospective potentate here BEFORE they get int power then it's "same old, same old" once their in, very much like the UK! Only difference is that in the UK nothing changes because it doesn't matter which party is in power it's still the same little grey civil servants actually deciding what can and can't happen while they wait for their massive pension at 55. Here, it's the generals.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Since 1932 Thailand has had 25 generals election, 20 constitutions, 19 coups d’etat,  

the last one in 2014. Maths speaks for itself...

Now I know where they got their slogan "Amazing Thailand", although about to be rebranded to "Amazing Trusted Thailand", that's almost as good as real estate agents slogans.

To think of the amount of general elections, constitutions and coups d'etat, makes me wonder why there hasn't been a civil war, oops ????

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/amazing-trusted-thailand-tourism-rebrands

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

If you want an example of democratic power gone off the rails, just look at the UK.  That place is a mad house of over bearing Police, incompetent Central Bankers, Civil Servants  and politicians, with too much time on their hands, not a clue what is going on and with too much power to abuse.  In comparison, Thailand is a beacon of stability and common sense. I am just glad I was here in LOS during this social media driven, monumentally economically damaging fiasco

But they still manage to live under their constitution written 800 years ago.

Wonder how many coups and constitutions Thailand would have in an 800 year period.?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

But they still manage to live under their constitution written 800 years ago.

Wonder how many coups and constitutions Thailand would have in an 800 year period.?

The British  Constitution is unwritten, but is a product of enacted laws, common practice and precedent.  In 800 years , the UK had 2 Civil wars, executed Catholics and then Protestants, also a  King, invited a German to take the throne, killed thousands of their own citizens in the Scottish v English wars, subjugated Ireland and then went on to form an Empire by subjugating other peoples.  It is hardly a model of democratic freedom that should be admired.     

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

For democracy to work properly, it needs an educated and informed electorate.

Uneducated people are easily manipulated by populist politicians.

Whether Thailand is ready for a democracy that functions as intended, I'll leave up to you.

Is the army ready for democracy? It’s got nothing to do with whether Thailand is ready. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Good grief, man! The British Empire brought vast benefits to the people of the barbaric nations.  It gave them Christianity and railways and a common language and bureaucracy and law.

Stop being an apologist for the idiots who think that the former colonies would have been better without the benevolent guiding hand of the British.

haha, good one. Imperialists always come out with that tired argument. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

haha, good one. Imperialists always come out with that tired argument. 

It may be a tired argument, but it's also true.  Do you honestly believe that, to pick a few, Afghanistan, Burma, Brunei, Egypt, Kenya, Lesotho, Maldives, Pakistan, Qatar, Somaliland, Uganda, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe are better off now than they were under British guidance? To more or less an extent they are now all basketcases.

• Haha 1