Jump to content
BANGKOK
carlyai

Waterfall Repair

Recommended Posts

I have a waterfall into the pool. The granite supplier said these granite tiles he sold me are used for waterfalls and he had one on display.

The strips of granite are glued together to form a tile as in the pictures.

What I'm finding is that the wind blows the pool water on the waterfall tiles and they are unglueing and dropping into the pool. Also the glued granite under the outside piece are crumbling into the pool.

It looks like the face of the composite tile initially was shiny and has a protective coat on it.

I would like to stop the tiles crumbling into the pool and think I will paint them with a clear sealer.

Does anyone know of a clear sealer I could use for this job?

Pics are of the waterfall, black tile droppings in pool and pics of both sides of the tile showing the back glued together.

20200523_075956.jpg

20200523_080002.jpg

20200523_080116.jpg

20200523_080124.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 2 part epoxy paint/sealers that should do the job, quiet possibly a regular thin epoxy. For advice on that I would be best to contact the suppliers. They are in Thailand the costs seem to be between 500 and 1,000 baht per kg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen this type of "waterfall" as a free standing unit, without a pool, as a decoration for a small patio, so this type of construction is fairly common in Thailand

 

I would follow the above suggestion and consulate with a pool builder for the correct epoxy or resin to use 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

I would follow the above suggestion and consulate with a pool builder for the correct epoxy or resin to use 

I would not contact a pool builder as in general they will be marking up the product by a lot. The epoxy producers are the ones to contact. All epoxies are waterproof you need one that is not going to run down the stone but be thin enough to be partly absorbed 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great stuff, we used it to seal and finish 3,000m^2 of concrete floors. Make sure the the surface is clean and dry. 

 

TOA.JPG.71a216cb2b9983122bd75865aabe815e.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are 2 part epoxy paint/sealers that should do the job, quiet possibly a regular thin epoxy. For advice on that I would be best to contact the suppliers. They are in Thailand the costs seem to be between 500 and 1,000 baht per kg

Thanks. I don't think I can use the 2 apoxy. It won't give me a clear finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

This is great stuff, we used it to seal and finish 3,000m^2 of concrete floors. Make sure the the surface is clean and dry. 

 

TOA.JPG.71a216cb2b9983122bd75865aabe815e.JPG

Great thanks.

 

 

this is what I need I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People may be suggesting you use the 2-part epoxy to secure all the loose tiles (and those you might coax off before they too fall off), then coat the whole feature with the clear guard covering.

 

We've had outdoor granite tabletops split and flake along mineral seam lines after just a few years left weathered. It certainly lasts longer as purchased when it's coated against water intrusion.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think that pool tile adhesive would be sufficient.

 

Weber has a bi-component pool tile adhesive, available at home mart.

 

I have done my pool tiles with it 9 years ago, and haven't seen one come off yet

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... and keep in mind what each products UV stability is like?  for long term (as OP has mentioned wanting to have a clear finish, and would no doubt want it to stay that way, long term)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Thanks. I don't think I can use the 2 apoxy. It won't give me a clear finish.

I have no idea where you got that idea.
 

Epoxy is clear unless you add pigment, all epoxies are 2 part, resin and hardener. If it’s not 2 part it’s not epoxy (though not all 2 part finishes are epoxy)

 

depending on the formation the ratio of resin to hardener can vary from 1 to 1 to more than 10 to 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Susco said:

I would think that pool tile adhesive would be sufficient.

 

Weber has a bi-component pool tile adhesive, available at home mart.

 

I have done my pool tiles with it 9 years ago, and haven't seen one come off yet

Hi, thanks. I think it's my use of language or " what we have here is a failure to communicate". I want to protect the tiles from the water and elements.

The guy in Kuchinari with a pool redid his tiles with Mr Fixit white epoxy and no more problems. Kits kept breaking the tiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I have no idea where you got that idea.
 

Epoxy is clear unless you add pigment, all epoxies are 2 part, resin and hardener. If it’s not 2 part it’s not epoxy (though not all 2 part finishes are epoxy)

 

depending on the formation the ratio of resin to hardener can vary from 1 to 1 to more than 10 to 1

Mr Fixit epoxy is white and the SF31 epoxy is grey. I've been using the SF31 recently that's why I was thinking of color other than clear. I want to protect the tiles from the salt water.

Great rain last night. Really first good rain. How did you go with rain? Just finished replanting 6 ry of tapioca yesterday so everyone is smiling. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carlyai said:

Mr Fixit epoxy is white and the SF31 epoxy is grey. I've been using the SF31 recently that's why I was thinking of color other than clear. I want to protect the tiles from the salt water.

Both of those must have a pigment added and have been made for the brand. Here are the first 2 items that come up on Lazada There are others.B668CA1C-7404-4EAF-B0C4-20C4511D473C.thumb.jpeg.b5cce30de3ed1e0b8629a5036de63654.jpeg

 

if you contact a producer they will have different formulations, all wil be intrinsically clear. I don’t know the formulation for your use but there will be one

 

 

 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Both of those must have a pigment added and have been made for the brand. Here are the first 2 items that come up on Lazada There are others.B668CA1C-7404-4EAF-B0C4-20C4511D473C.thumb.jpeg.b5cce30de3ed1e0b8629a5036de63654.jpeg

 

if you contact a producer they will have different formulations, all wil be intrinsically clear. I don’t know the formulation for your use but there will be one

 

 

 

Ok thanks. Mix how I want and paint on.

I was thinking of epoxy as like the one in the picture.20200524_090411.thumb.jpg.ea011c7874c217e7d658a7c7e7c4ab50.jpg20200524_090411.thumb.jpg.ea011c7874c217e7d658a7c7e7c4ab50.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...