Man Wanted in 2017 Miami Beach Murder Extradited From Thailand

rooster59

Man Wanted in 2017 Miami Beach Murder Extradited From Thailand

052220-Matthew-McGowan.jpg

A fugitive wanted in connection with a man's 2017 murder in Miami Beach was extradited to South Florida after he was captured in Thailand, authorities said.

Matthew McGowan, 32, was wanted in the Sept. 16, 2017 fatal shooting of Jose Alberto Martinez Valenzuela.

In a news release Friday, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said McGowan was in custody in South Florida.

“I want to thank the government of Thailand, U.S. Department of Justice Office of International Affairs, United States Marshals Service, Interpol Central Bureau and F.B.I., for all of their assistance in helping bring Matthew McGowan back to Miami to stand trial," Fernandez Rundle said in a statement.

Full story: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/man-wanted-in-2017-miami-beach-murder-extradited-from-thailand/2237375/

NBC Miami: 2020-05-23

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Interesting, how did hey extradite him when there are no flights anywhere? A special charter flight for one prisoner and a team of armed guards?

Maybe the same plane that Victor Bout was on!?????

• Haha 2

Seems that if a farang is wanted in another country, the police here are quiet good at finding him/her and then extraditing.

However, they're not so good if a farang commits the crime here - seems then the farang can slip quietly away providing the victim was another farang - American who killed Aussie in Pattaya Bar; Norwegian who killed Brit in Phuket etc etc.

And they are really bad at getting wanted Thais back to Thailand.

All seems rather selective. Wonder what the criteria is? ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Seems that if a farang is wanted in another country, the police here are quiet good at finding him/her and then extraditing.

However, they're not so good if a farang commits the crime here - seems then the farang can slip quietly away providing the victim was another farang - American who killed Aussie in Pattaya Bar; Norwegian who killed Brit in Phuket etc etc.

And they are really bad at getting wanted Thais back to Thailand.

All seems rather selective. Wonder what the criteria is? ????

You are so right!    Do you think the criteria has anything to do with brown envelopes??   Just a guess, of course & it just might be what you're thinking of??!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Whew! Glad that guy never made it into the country.

Biometric technology saves the day again.

Go team Thailand!

Are you saying that he was arrested while trying to enter the country Number 6?....... that his finger prints were on line ?........ not saying your wrong, very few details but I didn't read it like that..

Edited by sanuk711

23 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Are you saying that he was arrested while trying to enter the country Number 6?....... that his finger prints were on line ?........ not saying your wrong, very few details but I didn't read it like that..

pretty sure he was using sarcasm.  Besides their biometrics not catching him there is no mention of the smart BMW either....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

So farang guys get crazy jealous too.  And I thought, based on the TV commentary, that it was only Thai guys.  Learn something new every day.

Yes the Thai bashers like to pretend killing a love rival only happens here and they have a fancy term for it.. Fragile Thai male ago .. But in every other country they are simply killers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Whew! Glad that guy never made it into the country.

Biometric technology saves the day again.

Go team Thailand!

I thought Biometric at immigration was fingerprints when you enter the country. The perps fingerprints may not be on file anywhere as he was just a suspect, not arrested yet in Florida.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:45 AM, Matzzon said:

Great! Let´s hope he rots in jail. He really deserve it!

Matzzon,'

I am from the USA.  Most likely they will release him from custody since there is an imminent danger that he might catch coronavirus while in prison.  I see he is Canadian.  I suppose he could apply to be a refugee and then released awaiting his court case on how he is qualified to be classified as a Refugee. 

• Haha 1