JP Morgan study shows lockdowns did not alter course of pandemic

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

Think of the greater failure - at least in terms of nations not protecting citizens - if nothing had been done. As far as the world is concerned, the main failure was by the Chinese, who allowed travel out of China when they should have stopped it but when, at the same time, they imposed lockdowns domestically! After that, the virus spread continued largely unnoticed for up to another month, due to the lag until manifestation and before people started dying by the hundreds, especially in Italy and Iran.  

The Chinese domestic lockdown was unfortunately done far too late, by the time Wuhan was isolated half the population had already left. It is patently obvious that the Chinese failed to put lockdowns in place when it could have made a difference. How else were other parts of China and then the whole world infected.

Our governments should have protected us in any case though, because they had two months to watch what was happening in Wuhan. They didn't. They did nothing. Until it was far too late and then suddenly they overreacted in a panic. Terrible failure of nerve and intelligence.

The thing is we saw with Sweden what happens if nothing is done. Sweden did not do mass testing to a large scale, did not do the full mandatory lockdown, they did very little. If nothing had been done, perhaps it would not have been much worse than what was done. I don't see any of the government actions having had a significant impact on the pandemic, and studies confirm this. With the possible exception of testing, tracing and isolating the infected and school closures.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I don't see any of the government actions having had a significant impact on the pandemic, and studies confirm this.

And there are also studies that say government action did have a significant impact, more studies in fact. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Is the National Review some sort of right wing American political site?

and your point is? 

right leaning and libertarian I would say but I thought the article I referenced was refreshingly free of political dogma.

Edited by chessman

7 minutes ago, chessman said:

and your point is? 

right leaning and libertarian I would say but I thought the article I referenced was refreshingly free of political dogma.

Well, the point is it doesn't look like a scientific journal.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Well, the point is it doesn't look like a scientific journal.

Says the person who is constantly using the daily mail newspaper to promote his opinions, where their news pages are usually 2/3 made up of links to other stories on their site about British celebrities I’ve never heard of and who they are sleeping with. 

Yesterday, to ‘prove’ that the lockdown in the UK had collapsed, you used a British newspaper story about toilets being opened on the Great Yarmouth seafront. Today you are sniffy of an article that links to a great number of scientific journals because it isn’t a scientific journal itself.

you are hilarious

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Too many Google virologists and born again epidemiologists is one one of the core issues with the current epidemic too.  The official 'experts' have created economic havoc based on incorrect data, and scared people have allowed them to lead everyone over the cliff.

So true!

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

The Chinese domestic lockdown was unfortunately done far too late, by the time Wuhan was isolated half the population had already left. It is patently obvious that the Chinese failed to put lockdowns in place when it could have made a difference. How else were other parts of China and then the whole world infected.

Our governments should have protected us in any case though, because they had two months to watch what was happening in Wuhan. They didn't. They did nothing. Until it was far too late and then suddenly they overreacted in a panic. Terrible failure of nerve and intelligence.

The thing is we saw with Sweden what happens if nothing is done. Sweden did not do mass testing to a large scale, did not do the full mandatory lockdown, they did very little. If nothing had been done, perhaps it would not have been much worse than what was done. I don't see any of the government actions having had a significant impact on the pandemic, and studies confirm this. With the possible exception of testing, tracing and isolating the infected and school closures.

Thank you for missing my point completely. Totally expected.  

2 hours ago, chessman said:

Says the person who is constantly using the daily mail newspaper to promote his opinions, where their news pages are usually 2/3 made up of links to other stories on their site about British celebrities I’ve never heard of and who they are sleeping with. 

The National Review?

Really? 

It's not the National Rifle Review though? Tell me it isn't so.

9 hours ago, Kinnock said:

What I saw in HK was less than most countries are doing now, but that's not important anyway as it faded out everywhere, so Hong Kong procedures are irrelevant.

Too many Google virologists and born again epidemiologists is one one of the core issues with the current epidemic too.  The official 'experts' have created economic havoc based on incorrect data, and scared people have allowed them to lead everyone over the cliff.

One troubling  aspect about your version of events is that it does not match the historical record. Perhaps this is how you saw events. It's just that your version is your version alone.

The SARS outbreak really isn't comparable to the current  SARS Cov2 pandemic because the spread, and virus characteristics are quite different.  The SARS crisis was contained to just 29 countries, with the three hot zones of  Hong Kong, Toronto and Guangzhou. The  infection was contained using standard infectious disease measures that included  testing, isolating patients and screening international travelers. The strategy then was to identify and to isolate the infected which reduced the spread, allowing the disease to die out. That is what happened. Unless you are saying that there was no imposed quarantine on the infected, and no contact tracing?   The developed world waited too long before implementing testing and contact tracing. The public would not accept  self isolation requirements. This is why there were lockdowns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Is anyone really surprised by this? What a shame simple logic didn't prevail and so many lives were destroyed.

What is your point? You seem obsessed with posting statements that undermine western countries. never a  comment about Russia and its approach to Covid 19.  What's your position on Russia? 

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2020 at 4:18 AM, Kinnock said:

No mystery about Italy - high proportion of old, obese people means any epidemic will take it's toll.  Happens in Italy every time there's a bad flu epidemic too .  

They are not obese, Italians are among the slimmest people in the developed world, but they are old. One of the oldest populations in the world. Also Northern Italy has a lot of air pollution and many smoke as well.

• Thanks 1