UK plans cut in Huawei's 5G network involvement - newspaper report

rooster59

8 hours ago, nattaya09 said:

Yes, Infrastructure was part of his sentence. But I was commenting on the military component of his post. Trump is a builder and has repeatedly talked about an infrastructure bill. The Democrats have also talked favorably about it. The latter control the money and aren't going the pass a big infrastructure bill as long as they hold the House and Trump sits in the Oval Office.

Which was not his point.

Democrats wanted to do infrastructure, but the Trump budget policy (increase the deficit while the economy is doing well) put a lot of pressure on plans, and now the deficit has gone through the roof.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, johnpetersen said:

Comparing China to North Korea is just nuts. In North Korea the population regularly faces bouts of starvation. The economy is still very primitive. On the other hand China's economy has been growing rapidly and so has its middle class. Economic contentment busy a lot of satisfaction. Chinese citizens may not have political freedoms, but they certainly have a lot more freedom of expression than do North Koreans.  But then, who doesn't?. What a weird comparison.

Yeh that's why they have to eat anything that moves to survive

Have you seen the Chinese villages? 

They are like something out of the stone age

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

"China spends a ton on military"

Quote from where?

I'll help you, this is the post you said of 'rubbish' "While the US has been spending on guns ,bombs and aircraft carrier the Chinese have been developing infrastructure.Now the Yanks realize they are behind in 5g. So because they can't beat them they try to screw them.".

So again, why is this post rubbish? Also to help you, nowhere is it said China has not been investing in military.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Quote from where?

I'll help you, this is the post you said of 'rubbish' "While the US has been spending on guns ,bombs and aircraft carrier the Chinese have been developing infrastructure.Now the Yanks realize they are behind in 5g. So because they can't beat them they try to screw them.".

So again, why is this post rubbish? Also to help you, nowhere is it said China has not been investing in military.

point taken, but I still stand by my own personal opinion.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mrfill said:

Ha ha ha. Don't be daft. As you, very correctly, state - 'to do with greed' - is the nub of the problem. Do you seriously think that this dogwhistle virus has changed the minds of the greedy? NO, of course it hasn't, it has merely given them opportunities to make even more money. Is Apple suddenly going to announce that all their phones and components are going to be non-Chinese within 2 years? No, because they wouldn't make half as much as people wouldn't be prepared to pay a 50% 'greed surcharge' on the price and the market won't be happy to hear that their profits will be severely reduced. Same applies to any company dependent on Chinese components. They are all complicit. They all use them because it increases their profit and now you want to kill that profit by forcing them to use expensive substitutes. Political dogma will do more damage to the economy than any virus. There is still no vaccine for idiotic political dogma expected soon.

The answer is in the hands of the consumers. I buy nothing from China if there is an affordable alternative. Unfortunately the 1% managed to get almost everything made there already. I hate buying junk that breaks easily or doesn't work properly.

Far as phones go, there are alternatives to apple, and I wouldn't buy any of their overpriced goods made with exploited labour as there are alternatives to all their stuff.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 4:03 PM, phantomfiddler said:

Regarding reliance on Chinese products, after checking down on Ebay and Lazada and noticing that 97% of goods for sale are from China, one can only wonder what the other consumer item manufacturing countries are doing ? After buying a "Made in China" power bar recently and plugging in a small kettle, there was an immediate explosion and puff of smoke. A destructive investigation revealed that the internal copper wiring was slightly thicker than a human hair, which incidentally is very good for reducing cost of manufacture and hence the competition ????

Was that after choosing to ignore the label that specifies  usage is limited to low wattage appliances  only ?

8 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

I'm not a programming geek (using "geek" in an endearing way), maybe you can help me understand. Are some methods to disrupt easier to spot and remedy than others?

I was referring more to the types of danger. One danger is spying. As it involves sending a data flow, it may be traced, at least ex post

The other is the possibility to take the network down in case of crisis/war. In order to avoid it, it's necessary to check the whole source code, which is a bit painful, if not practically impossible The trick is also that the code may be changed over time.

There are plenty of articles about it on the Internet.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, candide said:

I was referring more to the types of danger. One danger is spying. As it involves sending a data flow, it may be traced, at least ex post

The other is the possibility to take the network down in case of crisis/war. In order to avoid it, it's necessary to check the whole source code, which is a bit painful, if not practically impossible The trick is also that the code may be changed over time.

There are plenty of articles about it on the Internet.

OK, thanks. I think spying is broken down into two parts. The programming to do so and the people who listen to and harvest the information. I think I was seeing that as one threat and thus my confusion. Thanks.

But I think you raise a good point. Surely they can program things to not only be able to harvest the information they want when they did the programming, but wouldn't that also mean we have a Trojan Horse on our hands due to them being able to remotely reprogram at will do whatever they want any time they want as their needs change? Kinda scary.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Was that after choosing to ignore the label that specifies  usage is limited to low wattage appliances  only ?

In which country do such power strips get sold? I think you are making that up as I've never ever seen such in any country. Even the cheap junk power strips sold in Thai markets don't specify wattage allowed, and don't have thin wire in them.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In which country do such power strips get sold? I think you are making that up as I've never ever seen such in any country. Even the cheap junk power strips sold in Thai markets don't specify wattage allowed, and don't have thin wire in them.

I have not seen any power strips sold here without maximum wattage indicated.

Having said that, it would not surprise me if the story reacted to were true.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 2:07 PM, Matzzon said:

Why would I need to believe that? It´s the modern and the high quality technology they are after, nothing else. After that it´s up to the customer to have control of the system and protect themself.

If you in anyway are trying to put any talk about responsibility of the virus into this, it will neither have any place. The only thing we are talking about is a product and a buyer. That has nothing to do with the Chinese government or who we wish to blame the virus on.

What a wonderful and happy simple world you must live in, where chinese tech companies have nothing to do with the chinese government. Are there unicorns in this place as well?

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:35 PM, Susco said:

The 5G towers obviously can't spread the virus.

The virus was created to make 5G towers a necessity, because you can't track people adequately without 5G.

So the whole purpose of the virus was to create an environment where big brother takes the upper hand.

It all makes sense now. And the next step is where Bill Gates will personnly inject us with a vaccine containing the tracking device, and then world domination by the 1% will be complete.

Or, it could just be a virus... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

What a wonderful and happy simple world you must live in, where chinese tech companies have nothing to do with the chinese government. Are there unicorns in this place as well?

I would say it´s you living in a world where it´s too hard to understand what you read. Where did I post that Chinese tech companies have nothing do no with the government. What I wrote was "Why would I need to believe that?", which is closer to the opposite.

What I was posting was that it was better to use their technology, and then protect their sensitive data as well as take preventive measure for loss of data.

I will make it really simple for you. You buy a Microsoft Windows Operating System online. You download that and install it in your computer. How do you now know that you are safe? Is that why they recommend that you install your own protection? No, it´s not! Internet is a dangerous place, where not only producers, states, manufacturers, seller and other entities can implement evil strategies.

I am sad to say, that you are the one with the happy and simple world created around you, to shield you from the harsh reality in the open unprotected world. The fact is that today everyone is out for your data. The reason for that is that it´s valuable. Think same like the reason for robbing a bank, if that makes it more down to earth for you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The two I have both have labels specifying suitable usage for low wattage appliances and similar information impressed in the rear of the plastic  casing. Only one is labelled  made in China. I have long since  avoided the  cheap style from markets having noted how hot they get at the contact sockets.

Most countries have some form of regulations that require standards and specs that are legally required to be adhered to. Some like Thailand  have such  but no consistent enforcement.

Manufacturers anywhere will manufacture  product according to the specs and cost required by the wholesale buyer.

I would imagine that it is the Chinese efforts to roll back the agreements they made over HK and implement their National Security laws there, that have given the UK government a nice excuse to do a U-turn. If China rolls back that agreement then by association Huawei promises of non-interference by the Chinese government holds no weight at all. 

Either that or the UK givernment are concerned that 5G Huawei network will mean no apps from google play!!

22 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The two I have both have labels specifying suitable usage for low wattage appliances and similar information impressed in the rear of the plastic  casing. Only one is labelled  made in China. I have long since  avoided the  cheap style from markets having noted how hot they get at the contact sockets.

Most countries have some form of regulations that require standards and specs that are legally required to be adhered to. Some like Thailand  have such  but no consistent enforcement.

Manufacturers anywhere will manufacture  product according to the specs and cost required by the wholesale buyer.

I accept that I may have just not noticed wattage specifications on every power strip I've bought. However the one I'm using with this computer states the voltage/ Hz ( 220-240/ 50 ) to be used with, total loading ( amps 10 ).

It doesn't specify wattage. I could work it out if I wanted to, but most wouldn't bother. Far as I'm concerned any power strip should be able to have a kettle connected to it.