BANGKOK
rooster59

UK plans cut in Huawei's 5G network involvement - newspaper report

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In which country do such power strips get sold? I think you are making that up as I've never ever seen such in any country. Even the cheap junk power strips sold in Thai markets don't specify wattage allowed, and don't have thin wire in them.

The two I have both have labels specifying suitable usage for low wattage appliances and similar information impressed in the rear of the plastic  casing. Only one is labelled  made in China. I have long since  avoided the  cheap style from markets having noted how hot they get at the contact sockets.

Most countries have some form of regulations that require standards and specs that are legally required to be adhered to. Some like Thailand  have such  but no consistent enforcement.

Manufacturers anywhere will manufacture  product according to the specs and cost required by the wholesale buyer.

I would imagine that it is the Chinese efforts to roll back the agreements they made over HK and implement their National Security laws there, that have given the UK government a nice excuse to do a U-turn. If China rolls back that agreement then by association Huawei promises of non-interference by the Chinese government holds no weight at all. 

Either that or the UK givernment are concerned that 5G Huawei network will mean no apps from google play!!

22 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The two I have both have labels specifying suitable usage for low wattage appliances and similar information impressed in the rear of the plastic  casing. Only one is labelled  made in China. I have long since  avoided the  cheap style from markets having noted how hot they get at the contact sockets.

Most countries have some form of regulations that require standards and specs that are legally required to be adhered to. Some like Thailand  have such  but no consistent enforcement.

Manufacturers anywhere will manufacture  product according to the specs and cost required by the wholesale buyer.

I accept that I may have just not noticed wattage specifications on every power strip I've bought. However the one I'm using with this computer states the voltage/ Hz ( 220-240/ 50 ) to be used with, total loading ( amps 10 ).

It doesn't specify wattage. I could work it out if I wanted to, but most wouldn't bother. Far as I'm concerned any power strip should be able to have a kettle connected to it.