95 years bedridden with non-imm visa

My 95 years old friend is now bedridden.

I don't see how he could go to Chaeng Watana to make its one year non-imm visa extension.

He should extend his visa now. Of course, there is the amnesty so he's not in a hurry but we have to find a solution.

I guess there is a measure like "authorized 3 months delay with medical certificate" Right ?

What about several such delays ?

My friend can die tomorrow or within 5 years. I hope it will be 5 years.

If it's just a question of months, we can expect he dies before immigration come to make troubles.

A possible immigration doctor would be able to note he cannot move but do such doctors exist ?

An immigration officer can also note the situation.

Of course, if he cannot move to Chaeng Watana he cannot move to France nor to the immigration jail.

He's not a problem for Thailand as he has money, staff to take care of him and health insurance.

My question is: What should we do ?

Thank you

45 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You should approach and speak to CW on his behalf explaining his condition.

Avoid going down the route of 90 day medical extensions on a long term basis.

The ideal solution would be for CW to allow a nominated person to process his annual extensions.

This is possible under extreme situations. 

Thank you

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Hello,

If it is proven that he is unable to move and that a move could worsen his situation (medical certificate from the attending physician, hospital) of course he can request a waiver to be represented or to bring in a immigration to his home.
It goes without saying that this has to be done in advance and that all the papers must be ready.
Good luck to this gentleman.

Thank you

Of course an immigration officer is welcome.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

With a letter from a doctor that he cannot make the trip to do it himself you can do it for him. 

Not that hard to arrange. It is done all the time.

Thank you Joe

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Agreed but this does not apply to the gentleman who is the subject of this thread who has made sure he has the financial resources, insurance cover and support network to allow him to spend his days in a country like Thailand. The concern is a minor practical one relating to Immigration Department administration which, as has been shown, can easily be sorted out.

There are however many other elderly expatriates who, whether through their own fecklessness or some other reason, are not in the same position.So your advice is very relevant to late middle aged expatriates of limited financial resources who have the chance to forestall disaster now.In most cases that means going home.Most however will not.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if this is the case with this gentleman. If I had all the means and resources mentioned, I would not be "bed-ridden" in Thailand or any other places except my home country, and definitely not have to rely on the kindness of a friend "who cares" who has to seek advice on an expat forum to tend to my legal matters which happen to be under the jurisdiction of a foreign country. I would have my agent/lawyer take care of this "minor practical" formalities pronto, especially at this time of covid, immigration laws and regulations are particularly fluid and uncertain regarding whether this can "easily be sorted out." 

Again this is neither a criticism nor praise regarding the subject. Simply my observation based on whatever info that has been disclosed thus far. My point is year or decade-long passage of time can make one be procrastinating on important matters, until one day one wakes up - either on both feet or all four - and realize that it has become much harder, or near impossible, to get up on one's own, either physically or mentally, and nobody is around to avail help. This can happen anytime anywhere in old age, regardless of places. It's not simply a question of "going home."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Geovalin,

Form TM7 (one year extension application) states...

1. ผู้ขอจะต้องยื่นคาขออนุญาตด้วยตนเอง
APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT THE APPLICATION IN PERSON
เว้นแต่ ผู้ป่วยหรือผู้พิการที่ไม่สามารถมายื่นด้วยตนเองได้
WITH THE EXCEPTIONS OF HANDICAPPED PATIENTS OR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not have to be a caretaker. It can be anybody with his permission.

Some of us use an agent (the legit variety) to make sure our t's are crossed, and are oriented correctly on the forms -- then accompany us to Immigration. But I've yet to see any of these agents advertise an invalid (accent on third syllable) service. But Joe's comment certainly implies such a service would be available from these agents. Need to confirm, as that would give me and the wife some peace of mind.

Edited by JimGant

Maybe it would be a good idea to contact his embassy you mentioned France maybe they could help or offer assistance. Anyone who reaches his age is nearing the top of the stairway to heaven I wish him well even if he goes on overstay they the IO are not going to throw him in prison allow him to enjoy his last months living out his life without the worry of ha I gotta to renew a stamp in his passport 

I always used an agent to renew a retirement extension. I never stepped foot inside immigration in Jomtien. Went to the agent's premises, dropped off required documents, picked up passport (with extension) the next day.

What are the cost of using an Agent in Pattaya to do a 1 year Retirement Visa and which ones especially as I wont have the required funds in the Bank as Divorce in UK has totally drained and thai GF scammed and when I tried suing her through a English speaking friend (Farang) of a Pattaya Lawyer. He did not do the work nor refund me? I would love to mention his name but Thai laws may forbid this even though he is not Thai! Thanks

Edited by paulgosal

I am sure that the exception to apply in person can be waived under the circumstances

BUT one year extensions based on retirement are not part of the amnesty !!

Please take note everybody they still must be done on time.

An agent would fix this in a heartbeat

Good Luck to the Gentlman

16 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I always used an agent to renew a retirement extension. I never stepped foot inside immigration in Jomtien. Went to the agent's premises, dropped off required documents, picked up passport (with extension) the next day.

"dropped off required documents"

In my case they are documents obtain at the Austrian Consulate Pattaya.

If an agent can do that for me, I will gladly use his services, if I have to go by myself and bring the documents to the agent, I can than as well bring the documents to Immigration.

23 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

why knows what the government will do, more months of lockdown, extension of amnesty possible ?

Amnesty or whatever people call them is NOT applicable to yearly extensions.  @ubonjoe has given him spot on advice 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

why knows what the government will do, more months of lockdown, extension of amnesty possible ?

If the borders still aren't open in July or beyond that, or, more likely, the criteria needed to travel is still stringent, I expect an extension of the amnesty, but probably only for 1-2 more months rather than 3. I don't see this crisis continuing beyond that, particularly when we are already seeing reports of countries about to open up limited travel in June, and airlines resuming normal services in July.

However, the OP isn't affected either way, since he needs an extension of stay, not a visa extension.