How Much Do You Pay For Electricity Per Month?

How much do you pay for electricity per month?  

974 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just paid my bill for past month. Usage 1498, Bht 5269. 2 Ac for about 12 Hrs, 1 for about 8 hrs a day. Frige, electric stove, 2 TV, 3 computers, and assorted small household appliances.

This is about the highest it goes ( for 2-3 mths). In cooler season and me traveling more it goes down to 1200.

Ours is around 6000 bhat a month, but thats for:-

House- 3 air con (only 1 usually on) tv, computer, fridge ect

Shop- big 3 door fridge, freezer, small fridge, TV, fans ,lights

Farm- milking machines, water pump (supplies all out water), about 10 flouresents that are on all night, plus other lights small water pump

2 Staff rooms- Fridge, TV, Fans ect.

I've got them on 3 meters though 2x15amp and 1x5 amp as the more you use the highter the unit cost it.

Quite reasnable really I think, especially when I dont have to pay for water which saves me around 2000 bhat a month (we use a lot of water).

My bill this month was 5,250, more than usual as I have had guests staying which has bumped it up by 2 grand.

I dont think that it is that dear considering I have a pool, 4 water features, 3 aircon (on all the time during the night, plus all the other usual stuff that everybody else has.

TP

We have a new house just outside Bangkok Electricity prices are

Cost

0 - 150 KW/Month 1.80 Baht/KWHr 270.63 Baht

151 - 400 KW/Month 2.78 Baht/KWH 691.75 Baht

401 - rest KW/M 2.98 Baht/KWH

Added on to this is a factor..varies each month ..depends on usage and then you have to add 7 and a half %

One small A/C unit uses about 1KW/Hr when flat out

Edited by John45

• 1 month later...

Try as I may I can’t figure out our power billing:-

Feb – 284 units – 759 Baht

Mar – 300 units – 788 Baht

Apr – 334 units – 1035 Baht

May – 314 units – 713 Baht ? Why is this bill cheaper than Feb and Mar?

I know it has something to do with the calculation on the left of the bill but TW can’t tell me what it is all about and I can’t make it add up. :o

I guess we do pretty well as compared to most of you. Our power is reticulated to ‘Mairs’ bungalow as well as the house and we have all the standard appliances but no A/Cs.

Having recently moved into a place where the bils are a big jump (6k - 7k) and being initially pissed about it, this is a good thread..

I have a flat rate agreement of 4 baht per unit.. Problem is despite having meters on each house the development has its power supplied as a busisness until agreement on all homes..

Considering freezer / fridge (getting a second) / Pool pumps / 2x immersion heaters / AC / 3 computers / LOTS of electrical toys I really cant be bothered to worry about it.. When it comes down to it its one night out on the town and they dont bother me :o !!!

If building my own though I would make sure that the design was energy concious, adding water heaters solar and designing the airflow would be a big part of making sure I was happy long term..

In my house its the GF that insists on the AC at night..

Edited by LivinLOS

The council tax by the way is 30 Bt a month.

Mmmmm, land tax. We paid Bht 52.00 p.a. for 12 rai of paddy. Our house is on 1 rai and we haven't paid anything yet (5 years). The guy opposite (Thai) hasn't paid anything for 12 years. He reckons when someone asks for it, he'll pay it.

Does anyone know how land tax is calculated?

The council tax by the way is 30 Bt a month.

Mmmmm, land tax. We paid Bht 52.00 p.a. for 12 rai of paddy. Our house is on 1 rai and we haven't paid anything yet (5 years). The guy opposite (Thai) hasn't paid anything for 12 years. He reckons when someone asks for it, he'll pay it.

Does anyone know how land tax is calculated?

Not sure how it works to be honest, but I did check with my French & German neighbour and they are paying the same. They also said it was for emptying of bins & street lighting etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

i've come to this topic too late. Sorry!

But I'm checking my electricity bills at the moment. It seems that in the past, we've always received some kind of discount on the bill - I don't know what for cos I can't read Thai.

This month, no discount which has made our bill shoot up even though we used less electricity. Has anyone else experienced this and knows what the discount was for and why it doesn't apply this month?

thanks

Not sure how it works to be honest, but I did check with my French & German neighbour and they are paying the same. They also said it was for emptying of bins & street lighting etc.

Maybe that explains why we have not been asked to pay. We don't have street lighting and bin emptying is Bht 600.00 p.a. extra.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a 200 sqm meter brandnew apartment on Suk 11. I seem to pay a fixed rate of 5 baht per unit. The monthly bill during the cooler months is 2500, rising to around 4000 when the aircon is on more often. I have aircon all night to sleep.

I have been reading this entire thread to get myself an estimate of how much my place 130m2 2 bedroom (top floor) would cost me in electricity. I pay directly to the electricity company.

Seems overall conclusion that standard size (clean) aircon uses for about B 2500 (incl. taxes Etc.) pr. month when run 24/7. Add in 1 more aircon for 12 hours a day and the "others" and my bill should be in the B 5000 area. I will see when I get my first bill how close my guestimate is. Cheers!

Having the aircon unit in our condo serviced and cleaned made an incredible difference. The bill dropped by almost 1000 baht for the month of May. To be sure this was post-Songkran / hottest month and we weren't home in the day using energy, but I figure that the cost of servicing (400 baht) was definitely saved in one month's charges.

The service guys were great. We got the number from a sign on a telephone pole near our condo. Five guys were here 40 mins after we called them, and they spent an hour working on the system. I was amazed at the cr*p and filth they cleaned out.

So- I can definitely recommend for all to service and clean aircons on a regular basis- every six months or so.

There is a service named TOU where you subscribe with a payment of approx Baht 800 and then the unit prices on off hours and holidays are reduced. This also helps during peak times to reduce the unit price. :o

It brought my bills down about Baht 1,000 / mth :D . Seems to be good. I must discuss with details with my wife , but the program is 'TOU".

More to come. :D

Clean air-con fliters , new ones are needed after a yr. I pay baht 150 per room filter. Reduce the fridge temp.. Adding stock to the unit will certainly keep the thermo from kicking on so much.

Unplug things you arre not using, change light bulbs, clean fans and other appliances.

Try to buy a name brand electrical product so uses less energy.

Foreigners tend to use more electricity than locals for air, gadgets and comfort. The prices are reasonable , but savings is always good. Budgets for paint, house hold maintenance, travel, cold beer , etc.... :D

It's quite easy to take the filters out and wash them with a hose once a month  :o

I have done this regularily- and a lot of cr*p would come out of the filter every month.

The AC guys did a lot more... cleaning the "radiator / cooling fins" (for lack of a better description or the actual name) of the compressor outside and the cooling unit inside with a heavy duty shop vac, the water drainpipe and collection pan, etc. by disassembling the AC unit to getto all these places. Well worth 400 Bt.

It's quite easy to take the filters out and wash them with a hose once a month  :o

I have done this regularily- and a lot of cr*p would come out of the filter every month.

The AC guys did a lot more... cleaning the "radiator / cooling fins" (for lack of a better description or the actual name) of the compressor outside and the cooling unit inside with a heavy duty shop vac, the water drainpipe and collection pan, etc. by disassembling the AC unit to getto all these places. Well worth 400 Bt.

As said it is the crap the filters do not trap that becomes the problem when it gets into the unit. A cleaning will include high pressure hose of both inside and outside units and removal and cleaning of inside fan unit (dirt builds up on blades). High pressure air will also be used. And as said even with frequent cleaning of air filters there will be a huge amount that gets through and for the outside unit there is no filter at all. It is worth the yearly expense.

It's worth getting the a/cs serviced twice a year, esp in BKK.

My table fans need cleaning every 3 months to get the leading edges of the blades free of a black goo, and that's with the windows shut and a/c on all the time. :o

Scruffy 3-bed in Sukhumvit, Soi 4, Next to Nana Thai Mansion.

Rent 23,000 is now 30,000+ with the hike.

That would get me a pretty luxurious apartment. With government meters.

My Electric is 7,000 - 8,000 a month. About double what it was in the UK. Unbelievable. When I enquired they said they where in a family dispute and the brother has the electricity in his name. He also has his own meters. :o

Although I have a 3 bed apartment in Bangkok. It’s only for when my sister stays.

My electric has been 7,000 even when I’ve been out of the country for 2 weeks of a month. :D They are blatantly steeling from me and there’s nothing I can do.

When I refused to pay the second month they just said they’ll turn off the electricity.

So I suggested moving out and they just told I’d have to pay the rest of my contract. :D

Nothing I can do. Just waiting for my contract to finish so I can move out.

Criminals. Makes me furious. :D

Mai Phen rai?!? My Ar$e

No wonder it’s often called “Land of Scams”

• 4 weeks later...

I was told by a Thai friend that the electricity companies purposely make mistakes on bills because most people wouldn't complain if it's a bit over. That would explain the wide variations in bills each month. Another thing to look at is the air conditioner, if it's more than 5 years old it's going to use more energy. But I guess thats only an option for long term stayers. When I first moved to Bangkok I was living in a hotel and the power there was costing 7 - 8000bht a month. So I used it only when needed but was still 5000-6000bht (small room, no computer, 1 air con) I sent a complaint to the FTA, but never heard back of course. The cheapest bill I can do now I have my own condo & using as little air as possible has been 2200bht. Worst 3000. Oh and I pay my bill in somebody elses name cause it would cost me 10,000bht to change names!!! Alot of things the Thai government just really sux at.

Privatization would be the best solution. Tuksin is good at getting people together but he is a really bad manager of this country and spends too much time talking about himself.

Bad news. I went to MEA (electric company - at Klongtoy) and they told me that they do NO LONGER have the TOU deal. It would probably have saved me B 1000/mth so I asked them multiple times (and different people).

If anybody hear anything else please let me knw.

I changed the name for electricity - had to pay a new 4000 B deposit but will be refunded should I move. All they wanted was title deed and passport (they took the copies). Was easy - and lots of giggly girls in the office to help out.

Cheers!

There is a service named TOU where you subscribe with a payment of approx Baht 800 and then the unit prices on off hours and holidays are reduced. This also helps during peak times to reduce the unit price. :o

It brought my bills down about Baht 1,000 / mth :D . Seems to be good. I must discuss with details with my wife , but the program is 'TOU".

Clean air-con fliters , new ones are needed after a yr. I pay baht 150 per room filter. Reduce the fridge temp.. Adding stock to the unit will certainly keep the thermo from kicking on so much.

Unplug things you arre not using, change light bulbs, clean fans and other appliances.

Foreigners tend to use more electricity than locals for air, gadgets and comfort. The prices are reasonable , but savings is always good. Budgets for paint, house hold maintenance, travel, cold beer , etc.... :D

Bad news. I went to MEA (electric company - at Klongtoy) and they told me that they do NO LONGER have the TOU deal. It would probably have saved me B 1000/mth so I asked them multiple times (and different people).

If anybody hear anything else please let me knw.

I changed the name for electricity - had to pay a new 4000 B deposit but will be refunded should I move. All they wanted was title deed and passport (they took the copies). Was easy - and lots of giggly girls in the office to help out.

Cheers!

I was told it NON-refundable so I guess you better hold on to that receipt!

I WILL! Thanks for the tip!

Problem is often that it is standard here to just take over from the previous owner (or renter I guess) to avoid all the hassle of changing names Etc.

In order to obtain THAT 4k I would need a letter (and ID card/house book Etc) from PREVIOUS owner confirming that I could change to my name while obtaining previous owners 4k deposit. That would have been VERY hard of course - as nothing agreed about the deposit belonging to me at purchase.

The 4k is a deposit - but they told me to hold on well to the receipt also!

Now, to add to my coments on the electricity discount program above: TOU, I asked if they would continue for the ones that already HAVE the program and they said yes.

Cheers!

I was told it NON-refundable so I guess you better hold on to that receipt!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whats up, but this month my bills and all my neighbours bills have been around 40% average down on normal. Is this the same all over, I thought it was going up not down. Maybe Surins got it wrong again.

Home normal 2500

this month 877

Neighbours normal 1500

this month 345

Shop normal...........9500/10,000

This month 6,000

Next door normal......3500

this month 2,200

I hope it's not some massive cock-up in the syhstem and we'll be charged double next month.