Bagging your own groceries

Andy from Kent

I've noticed since the introduction of  providing your own bag for purchases,  there's a tendency for businesses to exclude bagging your purchased items themselves.    There are no doubt exceptions but as I say I see this as a tendency.

I always  hate to see any customer service  reduction as they aren't likely to come back in the future.

Do you do anything to encourage the shop to continue with bagging your things? 

If I remember to take the bag I hand it to the cashier at checkout and she places the items in it. In Big C if I forget I simply pay the 5 baht for the bag and they do it.

Most shopping is actually done in Makro and as mentioned above, that doesnt even leave the trolley and is usually arranged for easy scanning right where it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Pay them the 3bht they want for a bag at the checkout.

Other than 7-11 or Food Mart, where do you buy the bags you use?

I've seen bags for sale for up go 160.THB.     I've paid 20 baht for some bags.   I support the use of reusable bags  but I'm sorry to see customer service diminished.

This thread is not about the cost of bags please.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

I have been doing this since I began shopping, because:

1- I know where similar items are.

2- I know which bag has meat and cool stuff that needs to go in fridge immediately when I get home.

3- I know not to put poisons / corrosives together with foodstuff, unlike some "baggers" I have encountered.

4- I don't want the bagger's salary to be added to my purchased items.

You guys must be very rich to be able to buy more than one bag full!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

In these times of covid I would imagine the checkout operator would like to handle stuff as little as possible to be fair

Funny coincidence isn't it.    Prior to COVID-19 businesses were shying away from bagging purchases.

Please explain that?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't mind to bag my own groceries, if it wasn't that I mostly shop at big c, and they have that annoying sloping platform on their checkouts.

Nothing more annoying than while you are putting one item in the bag, the next heavy items comes sliding to the bag.

Are they really such idiots that they haven't figured that out?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

4- I don't want the bagger's salary to be added to my purchased items.

Thanks Sam,

You have unknowingly addressed  part of my post.     Bagging  purchased items at most business prior to the plastic ban was a normal thing.     Now you're addressing it as an "extra" service requiring additional payment.

My post states how service is being reduced and no, I  I am not special as one idiot suggested, I merely asking how each person deals with what i see as a reduction in  customer service.

Is that so hard to comprehend?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Thanks Sam,

You have unknowingly addressed  part of my post.     Bagging  purchased items at most business prior to the plastic ban was a normal thing.     Now you're addressing it as an "extra" service requiring additional payment.

My post states how service is being reduced and no, I  I am not special as one idiot suggested, I merely asking how each person deals with what i see as a reduction in  customer service.

Reduced, not in my case, i just sit there, give them my large bag and wait, then it gets out in my basket.

Am i being lazy? What the hell whoever does it for me gets 20 baht.

7 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Thanks Sam,

I don't lose any sleep over it i find it a minor thing. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Now you're addressing it as an "extra" service requiring additional payment.

Would you like your groceries bagged?

Would you like to speak to a bank teller?

Would you like to sit next to your wife on the plane?

Would you like your pilot not to be drunk?

Would you like a happy immigration officer?

Anyway. At 7-11, when they see me holding my bag, the cashier motions me to give it to them and they start filling it. At the big stores, when I'm by myself, once I start filling it they like look sort of guilty, then start doing it for me. When the wife's with me, then she just does it.

I'd also like to add, the big blue canvas bags from IKEA are wonderful.

32 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If I remember to take the bag I hand it to the cashier at checkout and she places the items in it.

Ok, Charlie,

Honestly, are you saying  during your normal shopping, (not Big C, Macro or Tesco) if you place your reusable bag in  front of and within reach of the cashier, as a matter of policy she'll obligingly put your purchased items in the reusable bags your provide?

6 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Ok, Charlie,

Honestly, are you saying  during your normal shopping, (not Big C, Macro or Tesco) if you place your reusable bag in  front of and within reach of the cashier, as a matter of policy she'll obligingly put your purchased items in the reusable bags your provide?

At my 711 they fill the bag if you give them one. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't lose any sleep over it i find it a minor thing. 

I assume you comprehend basic English, mate.   I therefore ask you if you  read anything in the thread prior to your post that indicated anyone lost sleep over the loss of customer service.

I for one don't lose sleep over it  and I don't anticipate doing so  at anytime in the future.

I still regret the loss of a customer service policy due to the ban of plastic bags and the  advent of reusable bags.

I get that it's a reality and  my post which you clearly failed to understand  was asking how members of this esteemed forum  deal with that loss  of a customer service.

Clear enough?

• Sad 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

I assume you comprehend basic English, mate.   I therefore ask you if you  read anything in the thread prior to your post that indicated anyone lost sleep over the loss of customer service.

I for one don't lose sleep over it  and I don't anticipate doing so  at anytime in the future.

I still regret the loss of a customer service policy due to the ban of plastic bags and the  advent of reusable bags.

I get that it's a reality and  my post which you clearly failed to understand  was asking how members of this esteemed forum  deal with that loss  of a customer service.

Clear enough?

I deal with it by not losing any sleep over it. I guess uptight Brits like you do find it a problem otherwise you would not make a topic over it and get so up in arms when people call you out on it.

I think most members deal with it by filling their own bags otherwise there would be a lot of groceries left on counters. I think you deal with it the same way and fill it up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Routine like clockwork when we head to Top's we take our own bags, buy our necessities, and then bag them as the cashier scans them through.  That is now, but before the mandatory bags were put in play we always use to let them bag stuff, and it was always good.   However, on the first day of buying our bags and the cashier starting to bag, for some fukd up reason the cashier put the eggs on the bottom and started to put the milk on top.  That was it, all hell broke lose as the whirling dervish (GF) laid into the cashier with a voice that made everyone stop and stare for a second.  She then took the bag from the cashiers hands and started to put the stuff inside herself.  No questions asked by me of what the GF said, nor do I care.  It also appears that the shelves are now back to normal and we can find most of what is needed, if not its purchased on-line through Villa.  It is funny that we always end up spending within 5 baht of what we did the week before, even though different items are purchased.  Carrying 4 bags from Tops to the MRT station and such gets to be a pita.  I ordered on-line from tops once, and over half the items were out of stock, or they were just to lazy to find them.  However, when they arrived at the condo, we still needed to take out bags to the lobby and fill them from their plastic bin....

• Like 1

Yeah I find this annoying as well.  Foodland is good about bagging, they usually have an extra bagger at each checkout.  At Big C Extra I just refuse to pay until I've finished bagging my groceries, they usually chip in and help after a minute or so, heh.

• Haha 2

I was in 7-11 the other day just to buy soft drinks, and I limited my purchase to what I thought I could fit in the cloth bag on my scooter, I used to use it for 3 large chang, before I got into the habit of bulk buying beer when prohibition was here.

So imagine my delight as halfway through the scanning process, the cashier suddenly produced a lovely looking white bag with substantial handles and much bigger than my 3 large chang bag, 2 baht.

I nearly bit her hand off.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Pay them the 3bht they want for a bag at the checkout.

3thb, your being ripped off. Its only 2 thb here lol for the strong white bags

• Haha 1